The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sausage1

Is it possible to get into Cambridge with 4a*, 4a and a b?

Yes, well if you have good AS grades you should get an interview. :smile:
(I got an interview for maths at Trinity College with 4A*,4A and 3Bs)
Reply 121
Original post by jameswhughes
Yes, well if you have good AS grades you should get an interview. :smile:
(I got an interview for maths at Trinity College with 4A*,4A and 3Bs)

ahhh yeh they give alot of people interviews don't they :smile: so if you do good in the interwiew you get an offer is it?

ahhh yeh they give alot of people interviews don't they :smile: so if you do good in the interwiew you get an offer is it?

Yes. :smile:
Reply 123
Yes. :smile:

Did you get an offer?

Did you get an offer?

Unfortunately not. :colonhash:
Reply 125
Unfortunately not. :colonhash:

Gutting, are you going to uni in September?
Where are you going now?

Gutting, are you going to uni in September?
Where are you going now?

Yeah, Warwick :h:
Reply 127
Yeah, Warwick :h:

Congratz :smile: have fun!!

Congratz :smile: have fun!!

Thanks, good luck with your application! :smile:
Reply 129
Thanks, good luck with your application! :smile:

Thankyou! :smile: Although I'd be applying for 2013 entry so quite far away!! I want to do vet med though so it's gonna be real competitive. :/
Reply 130
If I were to give Oxford admissions an e-mail regarding the emphasis they put on the various parts of the ucas application and whether they even look at all the aspects included within I, do you guys reckon they would give me a reliable answer or just say they look at all aspects of it in great detail, lool. If however they did give an accurate answer it remove many of the questions in this thread

Btw has anyone else tried this?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by yahhhhhh
If I were to give Oxford admissions an e-mail regarding the emphasis they put on the various parts of the ucas application and whether they even look at all the aspects included within I, do you guys reckon they would give me a reliable answer or just say they look at all aspects of it in great detail, lool. If however they did give an accurate answer it remove many of the questions in this thread

You could try.

I suspect they're reply saying that they consider everything, but put emphasis on some parts, and will also mention the important things that are not UCAS based.

Thankyou! :smile: Although I'd be applying for 2013 entry so quite far away!! I want to do vet med though so it's gonna be real competitive. :/

This will actually be one of the most important things for your application;

Would you say you want to do vet med because you love animals? Is it a significant factor in your decision to apply for vet med?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by yahhhhhh

it would be a waste of your time. what do you expect, them to say "gcses count for x%, as-levels count for y%, interview counts for z%"?

you realise that oxford admissions is hundreds of separate individuals making decisions about whom they want to admit, not a supercomputer, right?
Original post by probably not
it would be a waste of your time. what do you expect, them to say "gcses count for x%, as-levels count for y%, interview counts for z%"?

you realise that oxford admissions is hundreds of separate individuals making decisions about whom they want to admit, not a supercomputer, right?

Actually one person in each college for each subject (or less, given that several smaller courses have the same admissions tutor). To Cambridge applicants only 1 person's decision is relevant, to Oxford applicants 2. Narrows it down a lot.

Also, they may be separate individuals but their decisions are not independent of each other, they are linked through common guidelines and policy.
Reply 134
Original post by The Mr Z

This will actually be one of the most important things for your application;

Would you say you want to do vet med because you love animals? Is it a significant factor in your decision to apply for vet med?

Yehhhhhh! I've always wanted to work with animals.
Yehhhhhh! I've always wanted to work with animals.

that sounds apprehensive and uncertain, be honest.
Reply 136
that sounds apprehensive and uncertain, be honest.

Okay, I don't understand
(edited 12 years ago)
Okay, I don't understand

okay - would you be comfortable seeing those same animals dying? Would you be comfortable killing those same animals?

If the answer to either of those is not yes, then you need to think about whether vet med would suit you.

If an applicant loves animals to the extent that they couldn't truthfully answer yes to those questions, that is considered cause enough to reject them by admissions tutors.

Passion, interest, enthusiasm, excitement, etc all good, all reasons to take a candidate.
Love, emotional involvement, is not.

The majority of the animals you will "work with" on your course will already be dead. One of the components of your course involves learning about the industrial raising, keeping and slaughter of animals for food. You learn the age after their death in weeks or days that they are killed. In your first year, you are given a dead dog, which you will dissect completely over the course of the year until it is unrecognisable to the untrained eye as a dog.

There are nicer elements to the course, for example you get to work with retired racehorses, live healthy ones, being looked after by the vet school (at Cambridge anyway), but you have to be able to handle the nastier parts without flinching.

That's not to say the ved meds are heartless, cruel or dislike animals. They still turn gooey-eyed when they see cows in a field.

It's the same that medicine applicants only get accepted if the admissions tutors think they will be able to handle loosing patients, and won't become queasy at the sight of blood.
Original post by Groat
Now the thread has reached 10,000 posts, I thought i'd be a good time to get Oxford in the title instead of Oxbridge. As the requirements are different, with Cambridge focussing on UMS more and Oxford on GCSEs and admissions tests, it would be easier for people to post in the relevant sub forums knowing which university they are considering.

Feel free to post here if you are unsure if your grades are good enough for Oxford. Please give as much detail as possible so those here can give you the best advice.

Good luck with your relevant applications everyone. :u:

Not really, we're able to give advice about both or defer the question to someone who can.

Most people asking are not aware of the differences, the two universities are always lumped together, not always correctly, but sometimes quite correctly.

And many applicants are also at this stage undecided about which of the two to go to, considering their relative chances at each is an important part.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 139
Not really, we're all able to give advice about both or defer the question to someone who can.

Most people asking are not aware of the differences, the two universities are always lumped together, not always correctly, but sometimes quite correctly.

And many applicants are also at this stage undecided about which of the two to go to, considering their relative chances at each is an important part.

Then you should propose a thread in the Oxbridge sub forum, surely? :s-smilie:

Latest