The Student Room Group

Dentistry Reapplicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by undertaker1
if one doesnt achieve grade A in aqa chem, can the individual do ocr chem and then achieve grade A as long as he does it within a 2 year period so it doesnt count as retake. and therefore increase his chances of a offer from dental school.

hmm that's a good point actually.. would you do the whole A level in one year or still do it over two years? if you were planning on doing it in one year just make sure the work doesn't get in the way of anything else.. but i'm not sure if they count different boards, or just the subject to be done in the 2 year period.. maybe check with your school?
i would try and do it in one year and also i can do human biology instead of biology and apply again without being considered a retake applicant.
is that possible i dont know??? i was hoping someone on TSR would know
Original post by hkn123
I think you should call the universities up just to clarify on that matter, but I reckon when you fill out your UCAS application for 2012 entry, they'll be able to work it out from the dates of your exams etc.. but call just to make sure lol

I did email cardiff explaining the circumstances but the reply was "before we can answer did you hold us as your firm" i told them i didnt apply to cardiff but after doing research etc i really wanted to go blah blah blah. I've heard nothing since.

AQA for Chem & Bio, wbu? What was your C in? I've read the cardiff website & they seem to hold high regards for PS not just grades which is good for me. Hopefully it will all go well.

What were your A2 grades? Have you got a decent PS? Im dreading retaking the UKCAT.

Best of luck hopefully come next September we’ll both be starting Cardiff studying Dentistry!!
Reply 43
[QUOTE="AbigailBowden;34149218"]
Original post by hkn123
I think you should call the universities up just to clarify on that matter, but I reckon when you fill out your UCAS application for 2012 entry, they'll be able to work it out from the dates of your exams etc.. but call just to make sure lol

I did email cardiff explaining the circumstances but the reply was "before we can answer did you hold us as your firm" i told them i didnt apply to cardiff but after doing research etc i really wanted to go blah blah blah. I've heard nothing since.

AQA for Chem & Bio, wbu? What was your C in? I've read the cardiff website & they seem to hold high regards for PS not just grades which is good for me. Hopefully it will all go well.

What were your A2 grades? Have you got a decent PS? Im dreading retaking the UKCAT.

Best of luck hopefully come next September we’ll both be starting Cardiff studying Dentistry!!

i got a C in chem, was AQA as well. i found unit 4 insaneee :s. I think my PS is alright, have you changed yours much since last year? my UKCAT is soon too ahh. yeh maybe! good luck for it all :smile: x
[QUOTE="hkn123;34170661"]
Original post by AbigailBowden

i got a C in chem, was AQA as well. i found unit 4 insaneee :s. I think my PS is alright, have you changed yours much since last year? my UKCAT is soon too ahh. yeh maybe! good luck for it all :smile: x

hey are you a resit re applicant sort of thing. lol
[QUOTE="undertaker1;34173637"]
Original post by hkn123

hey are you a resit re applicant sort of thing. lol

I'm a reapplicant but no resisits I got AA in bio+chem so im just doing other Alelvels to compensate for my history grade.

Are you?
[QUOTE="AbigailBowden;34173769"]
Original post by undertaker1

I'm a reapplicant but no resisits I got AA in bio+chem so im just doing other Alelvels to compensate for my history grade.

Are you?

yeh lol missed AA by a few ums marks. i would have done the same as you if i had achieved AA.
Reply 47
Original post by hkn123

Original post by hkn123
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=621992 this thread has some very useful links on it, especially on the first page
with verbal reasoning i think a good technique is to read the statement first, then skim through the passage for key words, as opposed to reading the whole passage first and then reading the question.. i find it really difficult too
but in general, for all sections practice will help more than anything :smile: when is your ukcat? good luck!

hey, thanks for that, :smile: really helpful

tbh, ive not even booked in for the ukcat yet, im still trying to squeeze in some work experience :s-smilie:
Hi Guys,
I am just confused about my personal statement.
What do i do to it? Keep it the same? Make some changes? Do we say that we are reapplying? Do they have a copy of our old statements??
I am soo confused?!? So if any one had any ideas about this they'd be greatly appreciated.
Good luck to all btw. :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by hkn123
heyy :smile: congrats on those results! where did you apply last year? have you done your ukcat yet?? good luckkk

thank you! I applied tot eh same except Newcastle instead of Liverpool. My ukcat last year was 615 which I think was my weakness, I haven't done it yet - 5th Oct. Eek! Fingers crossed.
Reply 50
Original post by Kartace
This is sorta applicable to me, i'm re-applying but i didn't miss my grades, i just didn't get any offers. I'm going to be re-applying to Liverpool, Leeds, Bristol and Cardiff. I got 2A*'s and 2A's at A2. Anyone else in a similar position to me?

At the moment i'm procrastinating about my UKCAT and doing lots of Work Ex and volunteering.

EDIT : Lol at the fag who negged me for missing his offer, fuk you dude! You lose in the end.

I'm in exactly the same position, applying to all the same unis, but A*AA. Eek!
Reply 51
Hey guys...^ those are some amazing results btw, congrats!

I'm also on an unplanned gap year as a result of 4 rejections for dentistry :frown:
my A level results are AAA... I've just finalised my volunteer work and work experience at a local hospital.

BUT I've got my UKCAT this friday and I absolutely loath that test! Last year I did awful with a score of 590 (and yet I'm sat here wasting my time, I haven't even started to prepare for it!!!! ) any tips guys?!

P.S anybody started there personal statement yet?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by Gingerbreadman17
Hi Guys,
I am just confused about my personal statement.
What do i do to it? Keep it the same? Make some changes? Do we say that we are reapplying? Do they have a copy of our old statements??
I am soo confused?!? So if any one had any ideas about this they'd be greatly appreciated.
Good luck to all btw. :smile:

heyy I'm in the same situation, some people I've asked say it doesn't matter if it is basically the same as last year, but some have said it has to be completely different :/ my school weren't very helpful on the matter either.. I think the best thing to do is to call up unis and ask them what they would rather.. I'd say make some changes here and there, mention what you'll be doing on your year out etc. good luck! where will you be applying?
Reply 53
Original post by Maz89
hey, thanks for that, :smile: really helpful

tbh, ive not even booked in for the ukcat yet, im still trying to squeeze in some work experience :s-smilie:

have you booked your ukcat yet? from this list of dates it says that the last date to register was 23rd sept unless applying for a bursary i think.. http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/pages/details.aspx?page=keyDatesInformation good luck whenever it is :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by Z.Shafi
Hey guys...^ those are some amazing results btw, congrats!

I'm also on an unplanned gap year as a result of 4 rejections for dentistry :frown:
my A level results are AAA... I've just finalised my volunteer work and work experience at a local hospital.

BUT I've got my UKCAT this friday and I absolutely loath that test! Last year I did awful with a score of 590 (and yet I'm sat here wasting my time, I haven't even started to prepare for it!!!! ) any tips guys?!

P.S anybody started there personal statement yet?

heyy congrats on the 3As :smile: where did you apply last year? and where are you thinking of applying this year?

I posted a link a bit earlier on this thread for the big ukcat thread which has some pretty good practice sites, other than that any practice you can fit in is the best prep. they've changed verbal reasoning a bit this year by adding a different style of question at the end, but you'll probs only get like 4 of those questions.. it tests what you pick up from the text but once i'd reached it i basically ran out of time anyway lol. they've also got rid of the last behavioural questions bit so it'll take you approx 1h30mins instead of whatever it was last year. good luck!
Reply 55
Congrats to everyone above!

I needed some help on deciding my uni choice and wanted to know if any of you guys can offer some advice.

Last year I applied Kings, Leeds, Sheffield and B'ham with 642 UKCAT score and decent predictions (I know Sheffield was a BIG mistake!). I got straight rejections from 3 and an interview at Kings in the last week. I then got put on a waiting list but sadly didn't make it for Sept '11 entry.

My A2 grades were A* A* A* A b and this is what I have thought of for my uni choices with a score of 667:
Kings, Liverpool, Bristol.

I'm undecided on the last one. Was thinking of just taking a gamble on QMUL or Manchester so I'm asking for any advice from people who applied there last year.

Let me know and thanks in advance for your help!
Reply 56
hey,

do you guys know what the ukcat cut off score was for manch' and newcastle last year??

Cos ive got a pretty crappy score of 605 so is there any chance of me getting into these unis??
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by KK24

I needed some help on deciding my uni choice and wanted to know if any of you guys can offer some advice.

Last year I applied Kings, Leeds, Sheffield and B'ham with 642 UKCAT score and decent predictions (I know Sheffield was a BIG mistake!). I got straight rejections from 3 and an interview at Kings in the last week. I then got put on a waiting list but sadly didn't make it for Sept '11 entry.

My A2 grades were A* A* A* A b and this is what I have thought of for my uni choices with a score of 667:

I'm undecided on the last one. Was thinking of just taking a gamble on QMUL or Manchester so I'm asking for any advice from people who applied there last year.

heyy, well done to you for those amazing grades! I applied to QMUL last year and got an interview with a score of 675 so you're not far off that. I'm not sure what their cut off was but it was fairly low in comparison to other UKCAT unis.. can't help with manchester much as I didn't apply there but my friend applied with a score of 665 last year and had an interview so up to you.. which uni do you prefer out of the two?
Reply 58
Original post by KK24

Your UKCAT is excellent, it could make or break your application. Use it to your advantage and apply to at least 3 universities which love the UKCAT such as Kings, Sheffield, QMUL.
Liverpool and Bristol will be very competitive as those who scored low in the test will select it as one of their options.
Reply 59

Original post by KK24

hey congrats on ur wicked a levels!!! im a reapplicant too cos i ddnt receive any offers either... i had a ukcat score of 630 and was in first batch of ivs for queen marys last year! but i think its because i had really high academic grades ! i wouldnt say qmul is a gamble for u... considering the system last year and i think ur in for a shot. (assuming they dont make any extravagant changes to the system this year like a ukcat cut off of 730 or something ridiculous like that! :P)

Quick Reply

Latest