The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Lauren Pen
Oh, I see.. So you volunteered there for two years for experience to put on your CV, then applied for the sales assistant job?

Yeah basically... you do exactly the same as you'd do in any other shop, so lots of experience... but for free :biggrin:
I was 19, barista.
$6.25 an hour (£4.09)
Reply 82
How did you get the job?

i handed out a ridiculous amount of cv's! if you go in and you're well dressed and enthusiastic they're more likely to take note of you and not just throw your cv on a pile somewhere. another thing i do if im looking for a job is to ring round and ask places if they've got any vacancies - if they have and they say to drop your cv off then go and drop it off the same day, it makes a good first impression
Still looking for it... :/
Original post by Rascacielos
My first job was a summer-job at my local outdoor pool as a lifeguard. I was almost 17 years old when I started. Got paid £4.72 or something an hour. Great job, terrible pay. Then I went on to do it at the indoor pool every Sunday for 2 years. £4.83 ph - terrible pay, terrible job.

Why?
My first job was working at Mind charity shop for 2 years but that was voluntary. My first paid job was Madame Tussauds which was only for 2 weeks to cover half term and was £7.84ph with paid breaks and holiday pay because I wasn't working long enough to actually take any! :daydreaming: I now work part time in Marks and Spencer which is £7.14ph with unpaid breaks. Got both jobs online with a follow up interview/assessment centre. I guess I like working at places that start with M...

Edit: I was 17 when I worked at Mind and 20 when I worked at the other two.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 86
I got my first job at Somerfeild at 16, I started the day after I got my GCSE results :tongue: I worked on the kiosk most of the time and on the tills on Sundays. I got paid about £6/h and double-time on Sundays, so although I only worked 8 hours per week, I earned (what was for me at the time) a fair bit. The shop closed down three months later and I then got a job at the nearby Tesco about 5 months later.
Reply 87
My first job was working part-time in a cinema. I sold tickets and made popcorn. I also go to see the films for free!

I was 17 when I got this job and I was on £4.25 an hour. I got the job through the cinema's website.
Original post by hannahisasmit
Still looking for it... :/

:console::five:

Original post by Rach@ncl
i handed out a ridiculous amount of cv's! if you go in and you're well dressed and enthusiastic they're more likely to take note of you and not just throw your cv on a pile somewhere. another thing i do if im looking for a job is to ring round and ask places if they've got any vacancies - if they have and they say to drop your cv off then go and drop it off the same day, it makes a good first impression

Did you have past experience?

Original post by Dr Acula
Yeah basically... you do exactly the same as you'd do in any other shop, so lots of experience... but for free :biggrin:

Cool :biggrin: Maybe I'll try that !
Original post by indie94
My first job was working part-time in a cinema. I sold tickets and made popcorn. I also go to see the films for free!

I was 17 when I got this job and I was on £4.25 an hour. I got the job through the cinema's website.

Sounds awesome :smile:
Original post by YahRah
My first job was weekends at Jack Wills in Islington, got £7 an hour. At the time it was the most amazing thing on planet earth.

Used to frequent here very regularly :biggrin:

Had a paper round from 13-16 and then got my first 'proper' job waitressing in a local (high rating) hotel. I LOVE IT! Have met friends for life and the working atmosphere is really friendly. The Head Office are hard on us but the managers take a lot of the flack and I am always made to feel equal.

We do weddings/conferences/restaurant/bar and I started on £4.50 an hour but worked there full time on my gap year and took on extra responsibility for £5.93 :biggrin:. They've decided that they like me and have let me keep it even though I'm back to part time!
Reply 91
I'm still at my first job.
I'm a waitress in chinese restaurant, it was £4ph when I was 17 but now i'm on £5ph
I get tips as well, and a takeaway after every shift, can't complain when i'm getting free food :P
Reply 92

Did you have past experience?

nope! it was my very first job. my cv was basically a personal statement saying what sort of a person i am, my grades and hobbies etc., i didnt have anything else to put on!
Reply 93
Fifteen, worked in a florist on Saturdays. Can't remember how much I was paid.

I did my school work placement there, then they offered me the job.
Reply 94
My first ever job was working in a fabric warehouse in Chiswick in the school holidays. I earned all of £2.50 an hour, which at the time I thought was quite good. This was around 1991.

My first proper job was when I joined the Army. As a Class 4 private soldier, I earned £22.21 per day.
Reply 95
Just out of interest, what was your first job? How old were you? How much was your hourly pay?
Also, how did you get this job? i.e. through a family member

My first job, well it wasn't really a job as I did translating for my late grandfather, he spoke or read no English or German but he ran a company that received catalogues in English and German, so after school he would have me sit in his office and make me read the catalogues and tell it to him in Chinese. Every now and then he would make me call up that supplier and ask questions that he may have had. Started at 8 but more during age 13-17.

Usually 1-2 hours per day after school. Payment, depended on his mood but usually between HKD10-50 which he would almost certainly make me save LOL.

But at 17 I had my first job, paid US$4.90 per hour, it was at a pizza parlour at the university I attended. That job sucked.
Oh and I got the job because I made friends with a girl at college who worked there. I dropped a CV in and she put in a good word. Then had to do a trial shift with another member of staff. These two are now some of my best friends :biggrin:.

Not really a job now, more a huge chunk of my social life!
Fashion/retail £6.08 an hour. Just dropped my CV in
I'm 17 and I only started my first job 2 months ago :smile: I work at a chip shop, the pays not too bad, £5 an hour but it's cash in hand :biggrin: And I get free food and tips so can't really complain...

oh and I got the job through my friend who's worked there for about 6 months :P
Debenhams Christmas Temp. £4.60ph & I just applied online....

It was hell with florescent lightening.

Latest

Trending

Trending