The Student Room Group

Iodination of propanone progress curve

For my chemistry coursework I'm doing iodination of propanone...i have done initial rate (using colorimetry to determine rate and concentration) but if i want to do a progress curve as well, will i only be able to determine the order with respect to iodine? or can I use it for propanone and H+ too?
Original post by chocolatesmudge
For my chemistry coursework I'm doing iodination of propanone...i have done initial rate (using colorimetry to determine rate and concentration) but if i want to do a progress curve as well, will i only be able to determine the order with respect to iodine? or can I use it for propanone and H+ too?

You vary propanone and you get the order WRT propanone.

You vary hydrogen ion concentration and you get the order WRT hydrogen ion concentration.
Reply 2
The way I'd do it is to double the amount of propanone and H+ ions in the solution. You can then work out the rate of the overall reaction from the concentration change of iodine in the solution. If the rate doubles when the conc of your H+ or propanone doubles then they are 1st order etc..

I don't know how you can do a graph with respect to Propanone or H+ ions but I'm sure it's possible, you'd have to find a way to observe the concentration change of each...

Quick Reply

Latest