The Student Room Group

Unpopular Football Opinions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by softsez
Maradonna's goal v England in 86 (not the hand one) was actually an own goal (cant remember who the england player that tackled him was though) but i reckon he slid it in, so not one of the best goals of all time as many suggest.

If he just slid it in then it is still Maradona's. As long as he didn't change the direction of the ball. i.e. as long as he didn't make an off target shot go into the net.

Mine is that I don't think Messi is the best player in the world, don't think he is even the best player at Barcelona. Xavi trumps him for me, some of the stuff that man can do with the football...

Also Scholes was England's best midfielder in recent history.
Reply 41
Some people say that cheating has ruined football. I maintain that 'cheating' has always been in the game, but the main difference between 'then' (to be honest I'm only talking as far back as the 90s) and 'now' is that back then it was an honest kind of cheating, whereas now it is pure deceit.

Back in the day, if Roy Keane had a problem with a player, he would just hit him with a massive tackle, which might constitute a foul. Technically a foul is 'cheating' - the difference is, he wouldn't try to hide it. He would tackle hard and if the referee thought it was a foul/booking/straight red (let's face it, Keano was no stranger to the straight red), that's what he got and he accepted it.

These days footballers try to gain an advantage by deceiving the referee - diving, making an absolute meal of contact equivalent to a stiff breeze, trying to get players sent off etc.

So my controversial opinion is that 'cheating' has not ruined football, it's more a change in the nature and level of cheating that poisoned the game.
Original post by kingkongjaffa
Iker Muniain is the best young player

Fixed that for you.
Reply 43
Original post by KingMessi
Every time a player pulls someone from a corner a penalty should be given. If that means eight penalties a game, so be it.

Every time a player surrounds the ref, a yellow card should be given. It that means that every single player in El Clasico gets booked, so be it.

This, all day long.

Inevitably people would initially say that referees/the FA/UEFA/FIFA 'are making a mockery of the game, rar rar rar!'

Then people would realise 'oh yeah, it's actually the habitual cheating of ~every player in the premier league that is making a mockery of this game.'
Reply 44
Original post by fudgesundae
If he just slid it in then it is still Maradona's. As long as he didn't change the direction of the ball. i.e. as long as he didn't make an off target shot go into the net.

Mine is that I don't think Messi is the best player in the world, don't think he is even the best player at Barcelona. Xavi trumps him for me, some of the stuff that man can do with the football...

Also Scholes was England's best midfielder in recent history.

Easy mr football rulebook - i understand the rules. Have you ever seen the goal i'm talking about? What i'm saying is that maradonna did not even shoot, the shot came from the defender sliding in - therefore owngoal. Maybe try watching it before quoting rules at me.
Reply 45
Original post by Bear_Grylls
Spurs are overacheiving and thier bubble will burst come end of the season

Spurs will stay 3rd. At the very least will come a close 4th.
Villa will get relegated this season.

Kenny Dalglish is a so-so manager, with a record of bankrolled success (with no European trophies or even finals to name).

La Liga should be docked Champions League places, and only be reversed until it's made more competitive.
Reply 47
La Liga is a season long warm up games to the El clasico matches.

That C.Ronaldo is more of a complete footballer than Messi

That Man city will take over as the dominant PL team by next season.
Reply 48
Original post by CB91
Fixed that for you.

I wouldn´t be too sure, Hazard, Muniain or Götze could all be the best young player, there´s just no telling who will make the most of his talent.
Original post by charleneismybabe

La Liga should be docked Champions League places, and only be reversed until it's made more competitive.

Great shout. Make the third and fourth placed teams more competitive by taking away their champions league revenue and creating an even bigger gulf in quality :colonhash:
Original post by softsez
Easy mr football rulebook - i understand the rules. Have you ever seen the goal i'm talking about? What i'm saying is that maradonna did not even shoot, the shot came from the defender sliding in - therefore owngoal. Maybe try watching it before quoting rules at me.

hadn't seen it for a few years so assumed you were talking about someone sliding in at the last minute. Sorry.

But...

Just watched it again. Maradona quite clearly puts the ball in with the outside of his left foot. Does a brilliant job of getting his body between the ball and Butcher (not sure if it was him?). Also looking at the speed and angle that the ball enters the net at, its pretty unlikely that the defender was the one who put the ball in the back of the net.
Reply 51
Messi is not the best footballer in the world, doesnt step up for Argentina and without Xavi and Iniesta he wouldnt do it as often for Barcelona. Cristiano Ronaldo is better than Messi but everything always goes through him and doesnt step up for his country enough. Xavi or Casillas are the best players in the world but because they dont get all the glory they get overlooked.

Rooney is only a better than average player who scores lots of penalties and can only do it in a squad of good players constantly setting him up with chances.

England are a poor side internationally who will not win anything again internationally.

Goal line technology should not be introduced to the game.

Penalise fouls much more strongly and give penalties if there is pushing or pulling in the penalty area during waiting for a free kick or corner to be taken.

Fine Man Utd and SAF when they constanly surround the referee or berate his assistants just because a desicion goes against them.
Reply 52
The Bundesliga is the best football league in Europe
That English football is a joke at the moment. Arsenal chelsea, man united and Liverpool's quality of football have severely dropped. Just look at them in Europe. And that comparing these to Barcelona atm is an insult. Real and Barcelona would teach them a lesson.

I don't know what's happened to English football in the last couple of years.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by Acerbic
The Bundesliga is the best football league in Europe

I'm inclined to agree even though I don't follow Bundlesliga everything I hear about it sounds like the benchmark for a league. Reasons being include clubs run as cooperatives, very reasonable ticket prices, terraces, alcohol allowed in the stands, 5 different winners in the last decade (another thing is whether the likes of Wolfsburg/Schalke bought success as blatantly as Chelsea did and Man City are doing, if not then that's another plus point), and does Bundesliga suffer from headlines for the wrong reasons?, Germany also have some of finest stadiums in Europe.

Think I'll pick a German club to follow sooner or later.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by silent ninja
That English football is a joke at the moment. Arsenal chelsea, man united and Liverpool's quality of football have severely dropped. Just look at them in Europe. And that comparing these to Barcelona atm is an insult. Real and Barcelona would teach them a lesson.

I don't know what's happened to English football in the last couple of years.

One bad season in Europe? Considering how English teams have performed over the last 5 years (4 out 5 finals have had an English team, 3 out of 5 years have had 3 english semi-finalists). Last year there were still 3 English teams in the QFs. Real Madrid and Barcelona are definitely the best teams in Europe, but them playing in a Micky Mouse league really does help their players.

Tbh I don't think either league should have 4 CL clubs. There should be 3 spots for English clubs, and 2 for La Liga. In the last 5 years 3 spanish clubs have never made it to the last 8.

English performance in the CL is just coming back down to earth. It was no way sustainable to have 3 PL clubs in the semi finals every year, they were just exceptionally good years. But next season with Tottenham, City and United I can definitely see at least 1 making the SF and probably all 3 make the quarters.
Reply 56
Original post by Dorito
Harry Redknapp should not be England manager.

I seem to be in the minority here and I'll have to wait about 2 years until I'm proved right. :sad:

Don't worry, after the next tournament he manages in we can laugh at the hysteria on here when England do badly.
Reply 57
All these 5-4, 4-4 scorelines we are seeing among the Premier League's top sides are just a result of defensive incompetence and tactical incompetence.
Reply 58
I think every British player is over rated and that every British manager is over protected by the media even though they're rubbish.
Reply 59
Neil Warnock for England manager

Quick Reply

Latest