The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

What are the chances of getting a bunk room at the university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
OK so I got back from Aberystwyth early hours this morning (so tired) and i'm so much more at ease with the whole bunk bed situation.

I asked manyyyyyyy questions :biggrin:

In general, they do not expect to have as many bunk rooms needed as last year as it was the big rush. BUT apparently people are requesting bunk rooms anyway. They are a lot cheaper and you get additional money... I think £15 a week put on your student card just to treat yourself because you're in a bunk room.

Bunk beds are being put in ALL halls of residents accept those with smaller rooms such as Rosser etc. The chances of getting a bunk room if you apply for a single is 1 in 10 and if you do, you'll be placed in a single pretty soon anyway because many people drop out or request bunk rooms.

And... according to our helpful tour guide, all bunk rooms have had two desks put in so that solves the problem of not having enough desk space.

Basically, if you apply for a single room you have a good chance of actually getting it. If you're still worried, apply for budget because the rooms are tiny and no way can bunk beds be put in.

On a side note, there were many advertisements around for private accommodation anyway....

Hope this settles it all. Looking forward to going now, Aberystwyth looked lovely whilst I was there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 41
I've been in a bunk room this year and I haven't found the experience too bad after initially dreading it. Luckily, I get on really well with my roommate, but I can imagine it being a nightmare if you're stuck with someone you find intolerable. I think a majority people who were desperate to get out of their bunk rooms eventually have been given their own single rooms as the year has gone on, due to drop outs etc.
The money you save on accommodation is a massive bonus, it means I've been able to live pretty comfortably this year, and putting a deposit down on a house for next year was no issue. You get £15 a week to spend in the University cafes on your AberCard as well, which is literally amazing. Amounts to pretty much a free cooked meal every weekday.

One thing I will say though, is be wary of what the accommodation office does tell you. When the bunking situation arose last summer, we were promised that there would only be one bunk room per flat and that it would be the largest room in the flat. My flat of 6 rooms has 4 bunk rooms in it. And the 2 single rooms are the biggest in the flat. I'd imagine they've learnt their lesson from last year, and it's not going to be so much of a mad rush this year but it's worth remembering that they can be pretty inconsistent with what they say and do.

Overall though, it hasn't been too bad. It can feel like you're living on top of each other sometimes (literally), but as long as you get on with your bunk buddy it's not so bad, and the extra money makes it worthwhile. There was also a page on facebook last year where people who were going to be bunking could choose someone to bunk with. So basically, if you find someone who you share similar interests with you can ask the accommodation office to put you together.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
I just had a very interesting dream. I dreamt that I arrived at Aber with all my things and on the doorstep I would Find out wether they accept me. Luckyly they did, cos I had travelled a long distance to get there. Well I went in and started looking for a bed. There were tiny rooms with many beds in them, all full already. And the rooms were corridore-like, everyone went through them. But I went on and there was a huge area withmaybe hundred beds or bedlike things. I ended up with a reclaing chair. But i didn't look on any of the upper four floors...
And the I had another dream inwhich i was to go to a dorm to get a room the same way and an old classmate, who i really didn't like taht much promised not to let me out of her sight. Well i went in and started looking in the old ugly huge house in need of serious repair. There were large rooms with eight beds, all different: bunks, normals, chairs with a mattrace on them and i thought that i was promised a single room. And then i rememberd i was not in Aber yet, I was in another place I was suposed to stay in before I go to Aber because the school year starts earlyer in here.

Anyways, I look forward to the accomodation application, I want to see what it looks like :wink:
Original post by Elevant
I just had a very interesting dream. I dreamt that I arrived at Aber with all my things and on the doorstep I would Find out wether they accept me. Luckyly they did, cos I had travelled a long distance to get there. Well I went in and started looking for a bed. There were tiny rooms with many beds in them, all full already. And the rooms were corridore-like, everyone went through them. But I went on and there was a huge area withmaybe hundred beds or bedlike things. I ended up with a reclaing chair. But i didn't look on any of the upper four floors...
And the I had another dream inwhich i was to go to a dorm to get a room the same way and an old classmate, who i really didn't like taht much promised not to let me out of her sight. Well i went in and started looking in the old ugly huge house in need of serious repair. There were large rooms with eight beds, all different: bunks, normals, chairs with a mattrace on them and i thought that i was promised a single room. And then i rememberd i was not in Aber yet, I was in another place I was suposed to stay in before I go to Aber because the school year starts earlyer in here.

Anyways, I look forward to the accomodation application, I want to see what it looks like :wink:

I enjoyed reading that.

Quick Reply

Latest