The Student Room Group

Trig C3

This has to be my most hated part of a-level maths I've come across. The questions where it asks you to show that one equation is the same as the other equation, it just seems like a load of guesswork to get it to match. I have an example here:

1cos2x/1+cos2x=sec2x11-cos2x/1+cos2x = sec^2x-1

I wouldn't know where to start unless I look at the solution bank for a hint.:s-smilie:

It seems I have to use the fact that cos2xcos2x is 12sin2x1-2sin^2x and 2cos2x12cos^2x-1 but how are you supposed to know which ones to use?
It is easiest to make the denominator as simple as possible as you can then split up the fraction more easily.

Therefore you should use the second option.
Reply 2
the RHS looks familiar... it based on tan2 + 1 = sec2
Reply 3
Original post by marcusmerehay
It is easiest to make the denominator as simple as possible as you can then split up the fraction more easily.

Therefore you should use the second option.

you don't have to use the same option if Cos2x appears in different places...
Reply 4
Original post by the bear
the rhs looks familiar... It based on tan2 + 1 = sec2

^^^^^^^

this
Reply 5
Original post by Crowbar
This has to be my most hated part of a-level maths I've come across. The questions where it asks you to show that one equation is the same as the other equation, it just seems like a load of guesswork to get it to match. I have an example here:

I wouldn't know where to start unless I look at the solution bank for a hint.:s-smilie:

It seems I have to use the fact that cos2xcos2x is 12sin2x1-2sin^2x and 2cos2x12cos^2x-1 but how are you supposed to know which ones to use?

What are you asking?

Is it: (1cos2x)/(1+cos2x)=sec2x1(1-cos2x)/(1+cos2x) = sec^2x-1

or

1(cos2x)/(1+cos2x)=sec2x11-(cos2x)/(1+cos2x) = sec^2x-1
Original post by the bear
you don't have to use the same option if Cos2x appears in different places...

Of course, although using the second option is my suggestion purely for the denominator - I may not have made that clear in my previous post. :yy:
Reply 7
Original post by Crowbar

Edit: you already worked that out :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
I'm just wondering how do you approach questions like this one? Do you have to think of backwards steps from the simplest side or something?

Nayom1 I had to use the solutions bank because I didn't know what to do first.
Reply 9
Original post by Crowbar
I'm just wondering how do you approach questions like this one? Do you have to think of backwards steps from the simplest side or something?

There are various methods, in order I use

Hope something obvious jumps out

Change everything on the LHS to sin(x) and cos(x) and look for opportunities to cancel

Mess about with the RHS a bit to see if it looks nicer

ALWAYS looking at the answer for clues
Reply 10
Well, all I know is there's got to be an easier way than I did it :redface:

But it worked... Difference of 2 squares method?
Original post by Crowbar

well i would put that sec2x=1cos2x sec^2x = \frac{1}{cos^2x}

so lets use the cos2x=2cos2x1 cos2x=2cos^2x-1 identity (as we want to turn the LHS into cos2x cos^2x's because thats whats on the RHS)

LHS =1(2cos2x1)1+(2cos2x1) = \frac{1-(2cos^2x-1)}{1+(2cos^2x-1)}

=22cos2x2cos2x = \frac{2-2cos^2x}{2cos^2x}

=22cos2x2cos2x2cos2x=1cos2x1=sec2x1 = \frac{2}{2cos^2x} - \frac{2cos^2x}{2cos^2x} = \frac{1}{cos^2x} - 1 = sec^2x - 1 as required

Its not fool proof, but the fact is all the identities will get you there just by different routes generally :smile: just try to compare the two sides of the equation, see what you might want to change using identities and then give it a go. Just try chucking something at it and see what happens if your not sure :smile: -- personally i like to change secs and cosecs and cots etc into their cos/sin/tan counterparts, because im happier using the identities to convert between them, but thats a personal preference.

For example instead you might spot that sec2x1=tan2x sec^2x - 1 = tan^2x

so you want to turn the LHS into tan2x tan^2x

Now you know you can turn cos2x cos2x into sin2xsin^2x's or cos2xcos^2x's, so as tan2x=sin2xcos2xtan^2x=\frac{sin^2x}{cos^2x} try turning the cos2xcos2x on the numerator into sin, and the cos2xcos2x on the denominator into cos :smile:

LHS = 1(1sin2x)1+(cos2x+1) \frac{1-(1-sin^2x)}{1+(cos^2x+1)}

= sin2xcos2x=tan2x=sec2x1\frac{sin^2x}{cos^2x} = tan^2x = sec^2x-1 as required
(edited 12 years ago)
My approach here (if I did not see anything obvious and was wanting to just start something) would be

1cos2x1+cos2x=1cos2x+sin2x1+cos2xsin2x\frac{1-cos2x}{1+cos2x} = \frac{1-cos^2x+sin^2x}{1+cos^2x-sin^2x}

hmmmm ... the RHS has sec so I will try to get cos in the denominator

1cos2x+sin2x1+cos2xsin2x=1cos2x+sin2x1+cos2x(1cos2x)=1cos2x+sin2x2cos2x\frac{1-cos^2x+sin^2x}{1+cos^2x-sin^2x} = \frac{1-cos^2x+sin^2x}{1+cos^2x-(1-cos^2x)} = \frac{1-cos^2x+sin^2x}{2cos^2x}

hmmmmm ... what happens if I split up the fraction ... will that help

12cos2xcos2x2cos2x+sin2x2cos2x=12sec2x12+12tan2x\frac{1}{2cos^2x} - \frac{cos^2x}{2cos^2x} + \frac{sin^2x}{2cos^2x} = \frac{1}{2}sec^2x - \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2}tan^2x

hmmmmmm what if I take out the 1/2 and ... hang on I can use tan^2 = sec^2 -1

12[sec2x1+(sec2x1)]=12[2sec2x2]=sec2x1\frac{1}{2}[sec^2x - 1 + (sec^2x -1)] = \frac{1}{2}[2sec^2x - 2] = sec^2x - 1

This is, in no way the quickest method but it uses the general principle of changing to sin and cos and looking to the RHS for clues

HTH
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest