The Student Room Group

I feel awful :( experienced ppl pleasee help. a little bit about me

Hi all, I just recently turned 18 years old and currently in 6th form.
Im really unhappy and de-motivated at the moment and really really need some help.
This may be a bit of a long read but I will appreciate it so much!

My GCSE results:

English Language-C
English Literature-C
Additional Science-C
Science Btec-CC
Religious Studies-B
ICT-CC
Buisness-C
Equality and diversity Btec-CC
Healthy Eating Btec-CC
Maths-E
Geography-E

During my time in secondary school I was badly behaved and messed around alot and only did a couple of days revison before the exam, so I would say I did pretty good for last few days revision.
Maths has always been a weak subject for me.

I left school in summer 2010 after my GCSES and started 6th form in september. I failed my first AS year due to pure lazyness, the jump for me personally was way too huge, I stuggled, I hardly revised and when it came to the last few weeks I totally gave up and didnt see the point in revising.

School gave me another chance and I re-sat my AS this year, I didnt revise from september too december again!-(which is stupid I know :frown: ) but I ended up in hospital due too an inflammed appendix therefore I missed my exams as I was getting my surgery done.
Now realistically I should have started to revise when I got out of hospital for the summer exams which are approaching in may, but I didnt revise! I started to revise a week ago which is now 5 weeks away from my exams.
My dream is to be a doctor, I want to study MEDICINE. I think I can do it, Im not super intelligent at all but I know that IF I work hard, and put 100% in I can get there.
Im currently studying Applied science,Biology and sociology which are totally not even cut it slightly for getting in the MEDICINE course.
Although there are a few foundation courses for medicine but again im cornered ad I dont have enough time to get good grades. Im wanting to get good grades, lke A's and I know that I can get them, but not in the time frame that I have now which is 5 weeks. Theres too much content to learn. and I havent got photographc memory.

What im getting at is that I really want to drop out of 6thform.

My GCSE results dont really reflect a potential doctor and now that I have wasted ALMOST 2 years, makes it look even more far fetched and would make people laugh. :frown:

This is what my thoughts are at the moment:

Spend next year re-sitting a couple of GCSES-Maths,Science and English. and maybe pick up a language. Aim to better my grades-A's+
Then spend another 2years on Alevels- have a fresh start and pick up biology and chemistry which are vital for Medicine and 2 other subjects.
Work hardd and revise hard and complete the two years and try to get into MEDICINE in UNI.
If I dont get the required grades, I will apply for bio-medical sciences or somesort of science based course which will be around 3 years and then try too transfer to medicine. Yeah this may take a few years but at least I will reach my goal and it will benefit me in the long run. If I still dont get to uni then at least I know I tried right and put everything iv'e got ?

OR:
Im meant to be re-sitting GCSE Maths in june anyways as I got an E first time round. So just revise for maths now for a few weeks and TRY too pass it.
Then from september start Alevels from scratch and then if I PASS MATHS I pick up chem-as you need maths for chem, and also pick up bio and 2 other subjects. Even though My GCSES are C'S maybe my ALEVELS CAN MAKE UP FOR THEM? or isit best too re-sit my GCSES first? Also If I dont pass maths this summer I cant go straight into Alevels in september- Ill have to do my GCSES again.

I feel like complete utter carbage, I really hate myself, I dont come from the best of towns, Im from an area full of crap, no prospects etc and I really want to get out of this ghetto. I also just live with my mum, Iv'e been without a ''father'' for 15 years, and Iv'e been through a lot within family issues and outside, facing many temptations, faced with crime everyday, growing up with friends who are constantly involved with crime and drugs. This dosent justify me being lazy though!!-maybe I dont want it enough?
But I dont want that sort of life, I want a better life, Iv'e grown up chilling out, not bothering with education because at the time I didnt realise how important it was :frown: but I really think that Iv'e got this gift, not the gift of intelligence but the gift of woriking hard because I know If I want to do something I can if I put everything in to it.
My dream is to be a doctor! Help people, comfort them. Learn about the body. Also I'd be lying if I said the wage did'nt attract me.I really want to study Medicine and have done for a while now.

I feel AWFUL.
Also my younger sister will be going into 6th form next year and she will probably be ahead of me if I go through with this ''plan''. I really hate my self, but I know im still young, only 18, I can still change things around cant I? and its motivating aswell in a way, that iv'e wasted so much time that now theres none left to waste and not wantin to make the same mistakes again!

If I dont get into Medicine then maybe pharmacy? I have some far distand relatives who are pharmicists but im sure the area is getting overcrowded.
What do you all think? should I give up? Am I kidding my self :frown:

Yes Iv'e made mistakes but I want to look to the future and work hard and stop being a bum!
THANK YOU for taking your precious time out to read this, I really really do appreciate it, it means alot and I just need some guidance and help.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
hey :smile: dont give up yet, you havent even started yet! First focus on getting the grades, I know someone who had all Cs at gcse, had to do retakes in maths and english language to get them to C, but got AAA at A-level and got an offer, as she was able to reflect on her experience. Or you could study abroad; some unis abroad, only require an entrance test like in Italy and Malta.
good luck!
Reply 2
Your first plan has some flaws as I don't think there is any university that will consider you after 5 years of taking your a-levels to achieve the grades you need for medicine, maybe the biomedical sciences route would be a better option but im not sure about their policies on that many years either.

The second plan would also be difficult as you say you'd only resit your maths GCSE, yet i think all medical schools (excuse me if im wrong, the ones i applied to anyway) require atleast a B in maths AND english.

Ultimately you do need a chemistry a level and so you would definitely have to do your a levels over 5 years and so I think the best route for you if you're heart is set on this would be the get another degree first and apply as a graduate, although i must stress this is no easier! You may also be eligable for the foundation courses, i don't know much about them so you'd have to do some research. Sometimes if it doesn't seem like it's going to happen you just have to move on though.

Medicine isnt the be all and end all and there are other careers out there that still have the caring aspect if thats what you're looking for, but please do not go into medicine for the money...there are much much easier less stressful ways to earn alot.

Good luck in whatever you do!
Reply 3
First of all - don't worry. Exams are just exams - nobody's physically forcing you to do anything, and it's not as if you're on death row! :tongue:

The one thing you have to remember is - you can do it! The only things literally standing in your way is complacency (eg falsely thinking you can ace all your exams) and procrastination (putting off work until the last minute). If you overcome these, you'll be jumping for joy on results day.

Good luck - and don't give up hope! :smile:

Edit: Thanks for the negs guys :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
In all honesty 99% of people get one chance to sit their exams (of course with a few retakes on the way) and you should have worked the first time. There's a reason why Medicine requires such high grades and it's because Doctors need to be focused and motivated. From what you've just posted I'd say you aren't either of those. I'd move on to something like bio medical sciences or pharmacy. That's just my honest opinion.

Edit: I give an honest and logical answer yet someone negs me. Nice one :yy:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Wasn't this on another thread? :confused:
It's possible, but you need to work a lot harder. I suggest speaking to the school about useful revision strategies because this sounds like your weak spot.
Reply 7
have you thought pursuing medicine outside of the UK?

I say this because if you feel it might be too difficult to go for medicine here, then there are medical schools in other countries which don't actually require as high grades...

I myself know of one or two people who didn't have the academic credentials to get into a UK medical school, but who are currently studying in other countries.

It might be something you would want to discuss with teachers in your school/college if all doesn't go well in the UK (I hope it does go well and you turn things around though). Just to let you know that you have this as an option :smile:

Edit: ah man.. just trying to help someone out and got negged... :sad:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
When I was 17, I decided I was going to be a nurse. At the time all you needed was to have 5 C-grades at GCSE. As such I stopped applying myself in sixth form once I discovered I'd got in. I walked out with an E at AS Maths, an E in A-Level Biology, and a C in A-Level General Studies.When I started Nursing college, I didn't bother applying myself, and due to circumstances that were for the most part, my fault, I ended up leaving. I got a job in a nursing home and got into somewhat of an emotionally abusive relationship. I then got a job in a coffee shop, and eventually had the strength and common sense to escape the relationship. I moved out of home and proceeded to not do much with my life other than work the coffee shop. I got another girlfriend, this one actually wonderful, who convinced me to try education again. I enrolled in Night class one night a week, and two years later, to my own surprise, I recieved a B in A-Level English. I by sheer chance enrolled on a three month counselling course, and once again to my surprise, it fit me. I emailed a local university for some information on the course, and maintained semi-regular contact with who I later discovered was the course leader. I got an unconditional acceptance.
I am now 28 years old and have my next few years planned out. I'm just finishing my second year at university, and whilst poor, I am comparatively happy. Its hard work, (especially this weekend), but its going to pay off.
It worked out for me. I don't know how or why, but it did. Its taken me ten years to get where I am now, and it still scares the hell out of me. I pulled my thumb out and applied myself, and each time, I surprise myself at what I'm capable of.
You can do this too. I make no lies about it being easy. I lived in a nice area, both parents, didn't need for much, and only had myself to blame. I haven't had anything like the upbringing you say you've had. This might make it easier, this might make it harder, but I believe you can do SOMETHING. I'm not going to make any promises that you can become a Doctor-I know little about the grades but given that it seems to do the most basic courses you need high grades, you HAVE to apply yourself.

I don't know if resitting your GCSEs is a good idea or not. Hopefully someone else will see this and have a better idea, but apply yourself. becoming a doctor takes seven years, and it takes seven years for a damn good reason. Application of yourself is the key. Cut out the dross from your life. Are your friends really your friends, or are they just trouble waiting to happen. Establish what is crap in your life, and cut as much of it out as possible. I think its good that you recognise that you don't have an excuse to be lazy.

Whatever you're going to be in life: Good luck. The world is a harsh place and its hard to find a niche. I'm not saying you can become a Doctor-but you CAN do SOMETHING.
Reply 9
Original post by davekhan
Hi all, I just recently turned 18 years old and currently in 6th form.
Im really unhappy and de-motivated at the moment and really really need some help.
This may be a bit of a long read but I will appreciate it so much!

My GCSE results:

English Language-C
English Literature-C
Additional Science-C
Science Btec-CC
Religious Studies-B
ICT-CC
Buisness-C
Equality and diversity Btec-CC
Healthy Eating Btec-CC
Maths-E
Geography-E

During my time in secondary school I was badly behaved and messed around alot and only did a couple of days revison before the exam, so I would say I did pretty good for last few days revision.
Maths has always been a weak subject for me.

I left school in summer 2010 after my GCSES and started 6th form in september. I failed my first AS year due to pure lazyness, the jump for me personally was way too huge, I stuggled, I hardly revised and when it came to the last few weeks I totally gave up and didnt see the point in revising.

School gave me another chance and I re-sat my AS this year, I didnt revise from september too december again!-(which is stupid I know ) but I ended up in hospital due too an inflammed appendix therefore I missed my exams as I was getting my surgery done.
Now realistically I should have started to revise when I got out of hospital for the summer exams which are approaching in may, but I didnt revise! I started to revise a week ago which is now 5 weeks away from my exams.
My dream is to be a doctor, I want to study MEDICINE. I think I can do it, Im not super intelligent at all but I know that IF I work hard, and put 100% in I can get there.
Im currently studying Applied science,Biology and sociology which are totally not even cut it slightly for getting in the MEDICINE course.
Although there are a few foundation courses for medicine but again im cornered ad I dont have enough time to get good grades. Im wanting to get good grades, lke A's and I know that I can get them, but not in the time frame that I have now which is 5 weeks. Theres too much content to learn. and I havent got photographc memory.

What im getting at is that I really want to drop out of 6thform.

My GCSE results dont really reflect a potential doctor and now that I have wasted ALMOST 2 years, makes it look even more far fetched and would make people laugh.

This is what my thoughts are at the moment:

Spend next year re-sitting a couple of GCSES-Maths,Science and English. and maybe pick up a language. Aim to better my grades-A's+
Then spend another 2years on Alevels- have a fresh start and pick up biology and chemistry which are vital for Medicine and 2 other subjects.
Work hardd and revise hard and complete the two years and try to get into MEDICINE in UNI.
If I dont get the required grades, I will apply for bio-medical sciences or somesort of science based course which will be around 3 years and then try too transfer to medicine. Yeah this may take a few years but at least I will reach my goal and it will benefit me in the long run. If I still dont get to uni then at least I know I tried right and put everything iv'e got ?

OR:
Im meant to be re-sitting GCSE Maths in june anyways as I got an E first time round. So just revise for maths now for a few weeks and TRY too pass it.
Then from september start Alevels from scratch and then if I PASS MATHS I pick up chem-as you need maths for chem, and also pick up bio and 2 other subjects. Even though My GCSES are C'S maybe my ALEVELS CAN MAKE UP FOR THEM? or isit best too re-sit my GCSES first? Also If I dont pass maths this summer I cant go straight into Alevels in september- Ill have to do my GCSES again.

I feel like complete utter carbage, I really hate myself, I dont come from the best of towns, Im from an area full of crap, no prospects etc and I really want to get out of this ghetto. I also just live with my mum, Iv'e been without a ''father'' for 15 years, and Iv'e been through a lot within family issues and outside, facing many temptations, faced with crime everyday, growing up with friends who are constantly involved with crime and drugs. This dosent justify me being lazy though!!-maybe I dont want it enough?
But I dont want that sort of life, I want a better life, Iv'e grown up chilling out, not bothering with education because at the time I didnt realise how important it was but I really think that Iv'e got this gift, not the gift of intelligence but the gift of woriking hard because I know If I want to do something I can if I put everything in to it.
My dream is to be a doctor! Help people, comfort them. Learn about the body. Also I'd be lying if I said the wage did'nt attract me.I really want to study Medicine and have done for a while now.

I feel AWFUL.
Also my younger sister will be going into 6th form next year and she will probably be ahead of me if I go through with this ''plan''. I really hate my self, but I know im still young, only 18, I can still change things around cant I? and its motivating aswell in a way, that iv'e wasted so much time that now theres none left to waste and not wantin to make the same mistakes again!

If I dont get into Medicine then maybe pharmacy? I have some far distand relatives who are pharmicists but im sure the area is getting overcrowded.
What do you all think? should I give up? Am I kidding my self

Yes Iv'e made mistakes but I want to look to the future and work hard and stop being a bum!
THANK YOU for taking your precious time out to read this, I really really do appreciate it, it means alot and I just need some guidance and help.

I'm really sorry but it's highly unlikely that you will be able to get a place due to your academics. Before I get negged to oblivion let me just explain. GCSE grades do in fact matter for medicine. With your current GCSEs I don't think any medical school would consider you. AFAIK a Science BTEC is not accepted as a GCSE equivalent. Also you seem to have shot yourself in the foot by resitting your AS levels twice and consistently neglecting your exams. Even though you've said it's your dream, It's hard to see where the commitment is. Due to the sheer competitiveness in medicine how do you really expect to compete with those who are dedicated and head strong and obtain the required grades first time round? You have to realise that your past mistakes have cost you. However I wouldn't say that the medicine dream is unobtainable. It may still be possible through graduate entry but you would have to check the individual universities as their admission procedures vary. Pharmacy could be a better option because they maybe more lenient in terms of grade requirements and the resitting of AS levels but I would double check with the universities because I could be wrong.
Original post by davekhan
Need some guidance and help.

Hi, I do not have a clue what is required to be accepted onto a medicine degree but it does seem to be a very competitive field to be able to go study.

Try your best with the time you have.

If it all goes pear shaped maybe have a look into access courses. Like I said I am not sure if there are any but worth a look.

Something will come down to your PS when you apply, then you will be interviewed, so there are no guarantees whatever you do. Or this is what I gather from reading random stuff.

All the best.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending