The Student Room Group

LAW uk vs US

HI,
i am currently doing my undergrad in the US. However, i am interested in doing law in the UK. after i complete my 4 years bachelor's degree.. what are my options if i want to pursue law in the UK. in the UK they have undergraduate law, so do i have to apply as an undergrad? as a freshman? even though i already hold a bachelor's degree?? help pls. and after 4 years in the us, how many years will getting a professional law degree in the uk take?
thankss
Reply 1
Original post by Nutella<3
HI,
i am currently doing my undergrad in the US. However, i am interested in doing law in the UK. after i complete my 4 years bachelor's degree.. what are my options if i want to pursue law in the UK. in the UK they have undergraduate law, so do i have to apply as an undergrad? as a freshman? even though i already hold a bachelor's degree?? help pls. and after 4 years in the us, how many years will getting a professional law degree in the uk take?
thankss

1 year conversion course. Then solicitor/barrister training if you choose.
Reply 2
Do you mean to practice as a lawyer here or to study law out of academic interest?

For practice you may be eligible for the GDL, the graduate law conversion course which takes a year but I'm not sure how they view American degrees, check BPP, CoL etc. websites.

Otherwise you can do a 2 year fast track graduate law degree which is available at loads of universities and is 'qualifying'.
keep in mind that if you qualify in the UK rather than the US, then if you want to return to the US and practice that may not be easy. Secondly, I'm not sure how things work from immigration perspective regarding you staying here for training contract and the like - you might want to check that out as UKBA have got much stricter in the past few years, and you don't want to end up with a qualification you can't use...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending