The Student Room Group

Smoking Experiences

Scroll to see replies

I smoked my first cigarette when I was 14, out of curiosity more than anything, but to say I disliked the experience would be an understatement, the taste of the smoke was far from desirable, and my fingers/ hands stank, as did my breath, the taste in my mouth was unbearable. I had to go home and brush my teeth and wash my hands.
I tried another cigarette a few months later, assuming that my dislike of my first cigarette was purely for that reason; it was my first. But virtually the exact same sensation swept over me again, and it was this that confirmed to me that smoking was not for me.
I have nothing against smokers, it's their health, it's their life, but I most certainly won't be joining them in their escapades any time soon.
Original post by HoneyFlux
ive been smoking for 4 years now. and i just enjoy it. i used to only smoke in social events, but now i prefer a cigarette at home on my own, to just release tension and stress. i wouldnt like to smoke when im in my 30's. but for now i see no need to quit. maybe once i finish uni. but no way in hell can i go through exam periods without a smoke!

You see no need to quit because the main bulk of the self-inflicted damage is in your tar filled lungs.

Original post by Wilfred Little
I personally think alcohol is much, much worse than smoking. If I had children and they smoked, I'd be unhappy. If they were out drinking, I'd be absolutely furious.

Smokers are looked at negatively in today's society, drinkers are looked at as "legends", and because alcohol is a hard drug that means disastrous consequences imo.

Alcohol wouldn't be as bad if people drank moderately, a glass of wine in the bath after a hard week at work or something, but how many people actually do that? A lot of people are dependant on it, and encourage each other to "man up" when they stop drinking. It's embarrassing.

The kind of drinkers you are refering to are hardcore alcoholics, they feel the need to drink everyday. Normal teenagers get pissed probably once or twice a week and that is nowhere near as bad as smoking.

You seem to be trying to persuade yourself that smoking is not that bad, when it is. Have you ever been to a hospital and seen the patients in a ward full of ex-smokers being unable to breath because of their lives of smoking fags?
Out of the 1 billion people in the world who smoke tobacco, I doubt you're the only person who gets this feeling.
Original post by pinda.college
The kind of drinkers you are refering to are hardcore alcoholics, they feel the need to drink everyday. Normal teenagers get pissed probably once or twice a week and that is nowhere near as bad as smoking.

You seem to be trying to persuade yourself that smoking is not that bad, when it is. Have you ever been to a hospital and seen the patients in a ward full of ex-smokers being unable to breath because of their lives of smoking fags?

:biggrin:

Binge drinking is arguably worse than dependancy on alcohol. And dependancy can range from needing a litre of vodka every day to needing to drink in social situations. You need it to function. Most people who are alcoholics do not class themselves as alcoholics. Dependancy doesn't mean "every day". "hardcore alcoholics"... no, I'm talking about regular 9-5 or uni people who drink socially and get drunk.

Smoking is not a hard drug. Hard drugs:

Alcohol
Cocaine
Heroin
Crack
Crystal Meth

You can overdose and die with 1 hit of these, cigarettes kill you very slowly and have no narcotic effect. I do not believe smoking "isn't bad", smoking is bad, but alcohol is ten times worse. And I find it hypocritical how I meet people who drink alcohol who dislike smokers.

Have you ever been to a hospital and seen the patients in a ward full of ex-smokers being unable to breath because of their lives of smoking fags?

:rolleyes:

I rarely discuss my personal life on here,, but seeing as you want to go down that road, my Gran died three years ago because of smoking related illness. Please don't patronise me about not knowing the effects of smoking. My Dad has COPD (look it up, it's a lung disease), I'm well aware of the dangers of smoking, thank you very much.

Alcohol is still worse and affects society more. That's all I'm saying.
(edited 11 years ago)

Binge drinking is arguably worse than dependancy on alcohol. And dependancy can range from needing a litre of vodka every day to needing to drink in social situations. You need it to function. Most people who are alcoholics do not class themselves as alcoholics. Dependancy doesn't mean "every day". "hardcore alcoholics"... no, I'm talking about regular 9-5 or uni people who drink socially and get drunk.

Smoking is not a hard drug. Hard drugs:

Alcohol
Cocaine
Heroin
Crack
Crystal Meth

You can overdose and die with 1 hit of these, cigarettes kill you very slowly and have no narcotic effect. I do not believe smoking "isn't bad", smoking is bad, but alcohol is ten times worse. And I find it hypocritical how I meet people who drink alcohol who dislike smokers.

:rolleyes:

I rarely discuss my personal life on here,, but seeing as you want to go down that road, my Gran died three years ago because of smoking related illness. Please don't patronise me about not knowing the effects of smoking. My Dad has COPD (look it up, it's a lung disease), I'm well aware of the dangers of smoking, thank you very much.

Alcohol is still worse and affects society more. That's all I'm saying.

I'm sorry about your gran and dad.

I hope you stay away from the cigarettes, we'll leave it at that:rolleyes:
Reply 105
Original post by Georgiana1605
6 grand.

Says it all, doesnt it?!

That's alot of money, but the way I look at it is, would you be willing to save a lot of money for something you liked? Same thing with me. I'd say smoking is the only 'treat' I allow myself to have. It's my only luxury and I tell myself this every time I hand my 6-7 pounds over the counter. Stops me getting upset :tongue:
I don't mind it, never been addicted and don't smoke regularly but it does tend to calm me down after a night out drinking. Also i quite like cigars.
Reply 107

Seriously though, you're already hooked.

The last few I smoked weren't very enjoyable, so today I decided to stop. Let's see if you were right. (I don't think you were)
I don't smoke, but I'd honestly absolutely love to set up my own cigarette business. Think of all the money I could make, and I wouldn't need to worry about demand because it will always be consistent due to the addictive properties of nicotine :biggrin:

I used to be really against smoking, I forced my parents to quit when I was younger, I used to nag my friends about it all the time, and then about 5 years ago I decided to try one... I've been a smoker ever since.

I personally don't think there are any true positives to it:

1. It's addictive
2. It makes you smell bad
3. The smell lingers on your clothes (even if you can't smell it, others who don't smoke can.)
4. It wastes your money away.
5. It kills you.

Those are only a few of the effects of smoking, so why I still do it? I really don't know.
If I had the will power to, then I would quit, but right now I don't want to enough.

Smoking helps when I am stressed, it calms me down, but when I didn't smoke, I wouldn't need a cigarette to calm me down, so I think it's more psychological.

Basically, if you've only had one, don't bother having another, I went here to work out how much money I have wasted on smoking: http://www.costofsmoking.co.uk/cost-of-smoking-calculator.php

My result was £4,565. And that was with smoking 10 cigarettes a day, on weekends I probably smoke at least 20 a day and I used to smoke nearly 30 every day.

So it's probably more like £5000+
Original post by SubAtomic
What are you lot on about?

Are you promoting smoking:confused:

My first cig was given to me by my brother and father, clearly idiots, I was about 10 years old or maybe younger.

It is a filthy habit, I used to smoke but I have no idea why, maybe because of what I said above, or maybe I was a stupid youth unable to make responsible decisions (ya think). Once you become hooked it can be hard to stop if you do not have the will power, these champix and what have ya are no good if you do not have the will power to stop.

Fair enough we breathe vehicle/factory fumes and air contaminants every day but to ask what benefits there are to smoking seems a bit sadistic. It would be like me asking what are the benefits of injecting heroin:confused:

Basically there are no benefits to smoking unless you are the company selling the products people are smoking.

More cons than pros sorry.

Cons: Yellowing of teeth. Increased risk of: Gum disease. Oral cancer. Cancer x. Cancer y. Cancer z. Lung disease. Bad breath. Emphysema.

Pros: Cannot think of any.

Crazy thread.

Shut up, smoking's class.
Pros: Cannot think of any.

Fit girls in smoking area :sogood:
pros:

you look cool
Original post by tehFrance
Fit girls in smoking area :sogood:

Maybe they are fit but they smell of smoke and probably taste the same as an ashtray:puke:

Sorry it just doesn't tickle my pickle.
Maybe they are fit but they smell of smoke and probably taste the same as an ashtray:puke:

Sorry it just doesn't tickle my pickle.

Nah mate.
Original post by tehFrance
Nah mate.

Lol epic fail bro. Maybe because you smoke too:wink: nice that you can both taste like ashtrays together.

Here just for you smokers

Spoiler

Awww how romantic.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest