Visit website

Durham Freshers 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Name: Matthew McNeill
College: Trevelyan
Subject: Philosophy
Offer: Conditional, AAA
Why Durham? I simply fell in love with the university and city when visiting; the architecture and atmosphere are second to none and of all of my universities, Durham was by far the best choice for myself with its college system, welcoming students and general superiority in so many aspects (although it is a fair distance from home :tongue:)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 121
Original post by greentooth411
I am!!! I'm very excited for it and hopefully i'll meet the condition :smile:

Awesome! I'm excited too, same I really hope I get the grades now!
Reply 122
Original post by Kristina_Lucy
Yes I was there on the 19th/20th - loved it! All of the students were so friendly - especially enjoyed the formal! So impressed by the physics department too :smile: where else did you apply?

I loved the formal, and the spirit of the place! I was raaather impressed with the modern languages centre too tbh. I also applied to cambridge, st andrews, bath and nottingham. Got a cambs interview but then rejected but offers from all the rest. Eventually made the tough decision between firming Durham or St As! Bath is my insurance though.
How about you?
Original post by CescaRose
I loved the formal, and the spirit of the place! I was raaather impressed with the modern languages centre too tbh. I also applied to cambridge, st andrews, bath and nottingham. Got a cambs interview but then rejected but offers from all the rest. Eventually made the tough decision between firming Durham or St As! Bath is my insurance though.
How about you?

I applied to oxford, st andrews, birmingham and lancaster :smile: passed the physics aptitude test but then completely failed the interview! I've insured birmingham as I was really impressed when I went down there! Really can't wait to start at durham though - providing I get the grades!
Name: Alexandra Egge
College: St. John's
Subject: History
Offer: Conditional 3.3 GPA, or 4 on an AP
Why Durham? I fell in love with the History program and the college system. Also the chance to live abroad (I'm an American) for a few years was irresistible. After visiting I just knew it was the place for me!
Ahhh Another American! I was starting to think I would be alone!
I'm studying History in St John's!
I'm getting really excited! Are you?
Reply 127
Original post by NavyBlueAndPearls
Awww! Your poor Dad! Don't worry, your parents soon get used to you not being there :smile:

What's my favorite part is a tricky question. There are so many brilliant things about Castle! The people are brilliant, and the ents are great, as it the reputation it has. June Ball is probably my favorite thing. Last year was probably the best night of my life. Some guys in college made this in the lead up to it last year: http://thegreatestnightofourlives.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/blog-post.html have a look, it is hilarious!

The June Ball looks absolutely fantastic! I'll have to learn how to dance :colondollar:
Reply 128
Just put Durham as my firm, studying criminology can't wait :biggrin:
Original post by LawrenceL
Just put Durham as my firm, studying criminology can't wait :biggrin:

Woo! Congrats! :biggrin: I have a criminology book which I have never read that you could buy if you are interested http://www.amazon.co.uk/Criminology-Tim-Newburn/dp/1843922843/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335305998&sr=1-1 this one :smile:
Reply 130
Original post by DStudentD
College: Stephenson
Subject: Applied Psychology, be good to hear what others think of the course
Offer: ABB
Why Durham: the course looks perfect for me, and being the best uni that offers it, makes sense to come here.
Other: Feel free to get in contact if your looking at applied psych. or stephenson, though there doesn't seem to be many people going to Stockton on here!

Hey!

I will be in Stephenson next year also. I will study Phase I Medicine. Thought I can say a quick hi :smile:
Reply 131
Name: Belitsu Salgin
College: Stephenson, Stockton
Subject: Medicine
Offer: Conditional, Just Diploma
Why Durham: I want to study in UK and Durham School of Medicine is one of the best in UK!
Ooh I'm still undecided but pretty sure I will be firming Durham :smile:

Name: Emily
College: Hild-Bede
Subject: Physics!
Offer (conditional/unconditional): conditonal, A*AA
Why Durham?: LOVE the college, it's absolutely beautiful. And the town is lovely and I just generally fell in love with the country-ish ness :tongue:
Other: Bit scared of going so far away, that's my only hesitation. And I'm guessing I may end up breaking up with my boyfriend if I go there because don't think either of us could handle that extreme long distance :frown: I am 90% sure that I will be firming Durham so thought I would post here anyway.
Reply 133
Original post by NavyBlueAndPearls
Yes, it's very good! Clubs in Durham are limited, but socials make it better, and there is always Newcastle!

Bedrooms = Standard uni rules - no bluetack, and depending upon where your room is be careful with the pins - holes in World Heritage Sites aren't great, but if you're polite to the cleaners you should be fine.

No drinking games? Who told you that?! Absolute utter rubbish.

Thank you, I'm glad that you're allowed drinking games! :biggrin: was it hard leaving home? Durham for me is long way and I wont really be able to come home very often. I am worried about the distance and costings of getting home, I live an hour from London.
Original post by lollijade
Thank you, I'm glad that you're allowed drinking games! :biggrin: was it hard leaving home? Durham for me is long way and I wont really be able to come home very often. I am worried about the distance and costings of getting home, I live an hour from London.

It's hard saying goodbye and hugging your parents on move-in day, but after that not at all. You do get 'bubble fever' a bit, Durham is so small it can feel claustrophobic at times, so it's common to go home once a term.

Trains (if booked in advance) are very reasonable. London Kings Cross (the place the train goes from) to Durham takes 3 hours and an advance ticket is about £30-£50. It's worth getting an account with them, they are cheaper than the train line, so long as you book well in advance. I live in Buckinghamshire so have to go in and then out of london (40 mins) too.

To be honest you are usually so busy you won't notice time slipping away anyway. I cannot believe I'm nearly in my final year! It feels so much quicker than VIth Form! You won't feel very homesick because the vast VAST majority of other people here are in the same position as you - in Castle this year I know (excluding the internationals) of 3 Midlanders, and 4 Northerners. EVERYONE else is from the South. So we're all in the same boat babe. :smile:
Reply 135
Name: Matt Patterson
College: Stephenson!
Subject: Direct Progression to Medicine
Offer: Unconditional
Why Durham: After looking around at all the uni's offering a widening access to medicine course, Durham stole the show. The website was really informative and appealing, the people I met when I went for interview were very friendly, and people I know who are there have given it excellent reviews!
Reply 136
Hey,

Does anyone know what we should expect in reply to emails sent to the [email protected] address? I've looked around and it seems there's no reply to be expected, but will they send more info? or as i'm an unconditional now, will i have to wait until august when everyone else is getting results before i get any info?

sorry that's not very coherent! i hope someone can help!
Original post by canŵio
Hey,

Does anyone know what we should expect in reply to emails sent to the [email protected] address? I've looked around and it seems there's no reply to be expected, but will they send more info? or as i'm an unconditional now, will i have to wait until august when everyone else is getting results before i get any info?

sorry that's not very coherent! i hope someone can help!

You probably won't hear anything until August now.
Name: Nandita
College: Collingwood
Subject: Law
Offer: AAB
Why Durham: The place is lovely, and it seems like a really reputable university. A perfectly "english" experience. To be honest though, I haven't entirely made up my mind between Durham and Notts. I'm a little worried about the diversity - it seems Durham is pretty homogenous (what I got from other forums, not that forums are the most reliable thing), and I would prefer to meet people from all walks of life.

Anyone can shed light on this matter? :smile: Whether my fears are unfounded, or there really is a variety of people at Durham. Thanks :smile:
Original post by nandisuria
Name: Nandita
College: Collingwood
Subject: Law
Offer: AAB
Why Durham: The place is lovely, and it seems like a really reputable university. A perfectly "english" experience. To be honest though, I haven't entirely made up my mind between Durham and Notts. I'm a little worried about the diversity - it seems Durham is pretty homogenous (what I got from other forums, not that forums are the most reliable thing), and I would prefer to meet people from all walks of life.

Anyone can shed light on this matter? :smile: Whether my fears are unfounded, or there really is a variety of people at Durham. Thanks :smile:

What do you mean by variety? There are lots of international students from a huge variety of countries, lots of British students who have lived abroad/have family abroad/travelled a lot so have had a range of experiences, and British students from all over the UK. There are over 100 societies so people are definitely into a huge variety of things :smile:

Also I don't think the difference in middle-class intake is very different between Nottingham and Durham, it's not like you're comparing Durham to one of the new universities in London which has large numbers of working-class and Muslim students.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending