The Student Room Group

Why is it so hard to find a job in London?

Hello everyone,why is it so hard to find a job in london nowdays?
I've studied photography,computer networking,and audio engineering and i'm searching for 1+ year a job at any field(for example barman,waiting staff etc)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Probably because so many people live in londan
Reply 2
Of course population plays a role,but it's not just that,you can easily find in new york,LA for example
It's hard to get a job everywhere, I live in the dullest city, Hull, and I must of applied for about 25 jobs and handed a s**t load of CV's in, about 5% replied to me too notify I wasn't successful. The rest just seem to ignore you and don't respect the fact you have made effort to offer your services to their business. Fustrating

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Original post by LeonP
Hello everyone,why is it so hard to find a job in london nowdays?
I've studied photography,computer networking,and audio engineering and i'm searching for 1+ year a job at any field(for example barman,waiting staff etc)

Not to be rude, but perhaps it's you? Maybe seek advice in the CV forum to improve your prospects of making it to interview? Might help.

Original post by M4LLY
Probably because so many people live in londan

More people tends to equal more jobs right? It's all relative.

Original post by LeonP
Of course population plays a role,but it's not just that,you can easily find in new york,LA for example

Have you previously found jobs 'easily' in New York and LA? :eek: Can't imagine it would be any easier.
Reply 5
if you can't find a job that's your fault
Just due to the economical state, unemployment as we all know is on a high but it's not impossible to find jobs.
They are out there, just takes some perseverance and the most important thing in life I have learned is "connections". They are your break, if you have the right connections you won't find it hard.
Reply 7
Original post by So Instinct
Just due to the economical state, unemployment as we all know is on a high but it's not impossible to find jobs.
They are out there, just takes some perseverance and the most important thing in life I have learned is "connections". They are your break, if you have the right connections you won't find it hard.

Am I the only one who thinks that 'connections' is just a fancy words that essentially mean you couldn't make it yourself?
Reply 8
It's probably easier to get a job in London than in most other places.

Of course, though, it's very difficult to get a job anywhere nowadays, especially for people of our generation.
Reply 9
Getting a job in London is a matter of how much you want it. If you treat finding work like a full time job, you'll get one eventually.

An acquaintance of mine moved to London from Ireland. He spent a couple of days working on his CV, which he then printed off en masse. He left the house every day at 9am, and came back at 5pm, spending all the time in between going speculatively into businesses and giving his CV to managers. After doing this daily for almost a fortnight, he got a job in a clothes store.

This guy had no qualifications and a patchy work history, but he hustled for work and he got it. If you want a job in this climate, you need to do the same.
Reply 10
Original post by gtfo
Getting a job in London is a matter of how much you want it. If you treat finding work like a full time job, you'll get one eventually.

An acquaintance of mine moved to London from Ireland. He spent a couple of days working on his CV, which he then printed off en masse. He left the house every day at 9am, and came back at 5pm, spending all the time in between going speculatively into businesses and giving his CV to managers. After doing this daily for almost a fortnight, he got a job in a clothes store.

This guy had no qualifications and a patchy work history, but he hustled for work and he got it. If you want a job in this climate, you need to do the same.

stroke of luck?
There are fewer job opportunities available everywhere, but there are definitely many more available in London than in other parts of the country. Within six weeks of moving down to London to undertake a paid internship I had managed to secure full time employment.
Reply 12
Because London is a huge city with a huge amount of people in it, it was named 'the sixth largest french city' [at least thats what i think the BBC said:tongue:] so imagine how many other foreign workers let alone British workers are there trying to find a job. I mean its barely English any more its a true international city :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by M1011
More people tends to equal more jobs right? It's all relative.

Original post by ajp100688
It's hard everywhere, I wouldn't say it was particularly harder in London. There may be more people competing for every job but on the flip side there's also a hell of a lot more jobs out there than in the provincial cities.

If there are more people and more jobs, don't those two factors just balance each other out so that it's still relatively about the same difficulty to get a job as it is in places with less people and fewer jobs?

I live in London (outer suburbs) and I've had periods over the past 4 years where I've tried very hard to apply for so many jobs all over London but with zero luck in results. It's only very recently that I now finally have a job, albeit it's only temporary and connected to the Olympics, so if it wasn't for that I'd probably still be jobless right now!
Reply 14
What kind of jobs are you guys talking about?
If you just need money to survive for example while studying, it seems to me it's not that hard to get a job, even if it means take orders at tables in some restaurant...but if you are looking for a management position in a bank, well things change..so please let's try to be more precise when you talk about this stuff
Original post by gtfo

Anecdotes are a really poor form of evidence. Often exaggerated or just made up, always based on small population sizes and absolutely overflowing with confirmation bias.

Too many forget the countless numbers of people who come to London filled with hope, optimism and a thousand copies of their CV and find sweet FA.
(edited 11 years ago)
I work in Canary Wharf and there are 2 or 3 economics graduates standing at canary wharf station with signs asking for jobs not sure if anyone else has seen them or know them. I find it pretty sad state that they cannot find jobs and have to do this as they have been sold a dream that cant be fulfilled. So dont be disheartened as it is very tough out there.
Original post by EvanM300
What kind of jobs are you guys talking about?
If you just need money to survive for example while studying, it seems to me it's not that hard to get a job, even if it means take orders at tables in some restaurant...but if you are looking for a management position in a bank, well things change..so please let's try to be more precise when you talk about this stuff

Any job, of any level. Even unskilled jobs such as being a waiter are very hard to come by for many people - do you not know this? :curious: If it was so easy, there wouldn't be so many unemployed people.
Reply 18
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
If there are more people and more jobs, don't those two factors just balance each other out so that it's still relatively about the same difficulty to get a job as it is in places with less people and fewer jobs?

I live in London (outer suburbs) and I've had periods over the past 4 years where I've tried very hard to apply for so many jobs all over London but with zero luck in results. It's only very recently that I now finally have a job, albeit it's only temporary and connected to the Olympics, so if it wasn't for that I'd probably still be jobless right now!

Lol... yes that was kinda the point that was being made.
Reply 19
I don't see much of a shortage when doing job searches. I applied to the first 3 jobs I fancied and have interviews to all of them (2 days later). Just look harder?

Dim neg brigade bitches that can't get jobs hatin'
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply