The Student Room Group

How many GCSEs did you do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
17 GCSE' s is far too much, 12-14 is enough really,

I did 10.50 - dont know how i really got the 0.5 - and i did Btec childcare.
Reply 21
I did nine solid GCSEs. I did further maths but I don't know if that'll be credited it, so nine/ten. Then I chose ICT foolishly, after being told it would be worth four GCSEs, which it isn't. Just four distinctions things. Then I did BTEC PE in my spare time and got a distinction in that. So really, nine/ten with five distinctions.
Yeah, seventeen is too many and pointless. Unless you're counting OCR nationals and btecs.
(edited 11 years ago)
I did 11 :tongue:
I did 10 :h:.
Reply 24
11, as well as a short-course art GCSE that is equivalent to half a full grade (and was also a waste of time).
Reply 25
I did 11, :smile:
Reply 26
I did 12 GCSEs :biggrin:
I did seven and a GNVQ in ICT which is equivalent to four GCSE's.
14-17 seems a lot, do you think you will be able to handle the workload? are you particularly organised? These are things you need to think about.
I think I did 12.5 but a couple of those were courses where you got the 2 grades for completing the course. i.e business studies where I received 2 grades. I didn't find it a struggle particularly but it will depend how hard you work.
To be perfectly honest though if you're considering going onto A Levels afterwards there's really no need for an excessive number of GCSEs as, in a job interview, they probably won't waste time whilst you reel your grades off.
The best thing I can say is stick to a slightly lower number and concentrate on getting higher grades in them than a ridiculous amount just for the sake of having extra written down. Once you do A Levels and a degree (if you plan on doing so) then GCSEs aren't considered as highly anyway. Unless of course you find enjoyment in doing extra exams/modules etc.
I did 9, and got 9 :smile:
I did 12.

Triple science counts as 3 GCSEs, you get 1 in each science. Double science counts as 2 GCSEs, you get 1 in core science and 1 in additional science.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I did 11 - I think that was the perfect amount, not too much and not too less.
Reply 32
I did 11 and it filled a schoolday, so how can there be time for more? My brother did 10, which seems to be the average at our old school. 10 is plenty though, I should think. 17 may be perhaps a little excessive? You don't want to spread yourself to thinly and get 17Bs when you could have had 10a*s!
Original post by kittyb99
I did 11 and it filled a schoolday, so how can there be time for more? My brother did 10, which seems to be the average at our old school. 10 is plenty though, I should think. 17 may be perhaps a little excessive? You don't want to spread yourself to thinly and get 17Bs when you could have had 10a*s!

How about 17 A*s :tongue:
Reply 34
Too many
10.5 :awesome:
I did 9, but I guess it depends on what your school offers and whether they are gcse's or the alternatives to them such as btecs etc.
Reply 37
just warning you now unless you are superhuman and can get 17 A*'s its DEFINITELY not worth doing any more than the minimum amount, otherwise you compromise all your average grades.

I did 9 gcse's because that's all i was allowed to do, and to be honest that was enough. But i didn't get any lower than an A.....

when it comes to applying to uni - gcse's aren't very important anyway but if they are its the grades and not the amount you took.

hope i helped slightly! :biggrin:
Reply 38
The standard number of GCSEs done per student at my school was 9 (now 8 since they made science a non-compulsory subject which is idiotic). I did 10 since I opted for English Literature as well as English Language. You don't even have to study a language anymore, yet they still make you do Irish for the first three years. Thankfully I got out before everything went to complete shambles.
Original post by Teatania
The standard number of GCSEs done per student at my school was 9 (now 8 since they made science a non-compulsory subject which is idiotic). I did 10 since I opted for English Literature as well as English Language. You don't even have to study a language anymore, yet they still make you do Irish for the first three years. Thankfully I got out before everything went to complete shambles.

Is it even legal to make science a non-compulsory subject?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest