The Student Room Group

Girls who shave

Scroll to see replies

Original post by philistine
So you're fat, have a forest growing from your underarms, and most likely have legs which could easily warrant the nickname 'Hairy Jeremy'?

Brb, throwing up in my mouth.

Random anecdote:

I volunteer once in a week in a charity shop. A middle-aged, petite blonde came in on a bike one day, with one trouser leg rolled up. I didn't think anything of it until she came into the store. She bought something, and when she walked away to put it in her bag, I saw that the leg which was exposed was just as densely packed with hair (long hair, might I add) as my own. I felt physically sick.

EDIT: This is apparently my most controversial post yet!

But why are the rules different for you? What if she looked at your legs (apparently in the same state as hers) and felt repulsed. Would you feel compelled to shave it off?
It is funny how most of the posts guys put are getting negged and the girls ones repped
But IMO, it depends why you are doing it, if you are young you shouldn't be worrying about stuff like that.
However if you are older it is just the social norm for girls to shave, i am not saying it right but its just the norm and what most guys from a guy perspective prefer.

But each to their own! you shouldn't have to if you don't want to.
Original post by hitz_91
Kudos to you. You haven't given in to the system. I'm sure it doesn't matter as long as they are not as hairy as a guys (right?)

What you said is just like saying you haven't given in to the system of being skinny but your not that fat right ? hahaa
Original post by im so academic
It's what men want. Deal with it, or deal with being forever alone - as they would say.

All men want a woman who is smooth all over. Especially down there.

Why the sweeping generalisation? Highly unacademic
Original post by TheBigGeek
But why are the rules different for you? What if she looked at your legs (apparently in the same state as hers) and felt repulsed. Would you feel compelled to shave it off?

Women are not, have not been, and never will be, the same as men. Your comparison is invalid.

Negged.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 285
Original post by Mudya
I'm going to be honest and say that I don't shave my underarms and legs unless I have too. So most of the time I'm hairy, but I really don't give a crap.

Lmao, same. And I really can't bring myself to care either
I remember being in year 7 and a girl went 'errrr don't you shave your legs?!'. She's now on crack so pffft. My boyf isn't bothered by a bit of hair and frankly I'd be worried if he did.
Reply 287
I recently decided that I'm only going to try to improve my appearance if it's for myself. I brush my hair because I like having nice-looking hair. Shaving my underarms, I do because I don't like the feeling of long hair, and it feels unhygienic (it's equally unhygienic for guys to have long underarm hair but it's not for me to expect them to shave). But I used to shave my legs because I felt like it was expected of me; it didn't make me feel 'prettier' or 'more feminine', it's nothing to do with hygiene, and I hated that I felt I had to waste time on it. So I've stopped doing it.
Original post by inadilemma
Some people do. I find the whole thing rather ridiculous.

It's true. Why create a more mundane task for yourself?
I shave...but not for myself, but because I know it makes others uncomfortable. I go swimmings everyday so it's a little bit obvious if I don't shave my legs.

I used to hate it in our games lessons at PE when the girls used to shout out if someone had hairy legs- one of my friends would always get changed in the toilets (that were rank) because her mother wouldn't let her shave.
I started shaving when I was about eleven because I didn't want to be the only girl in the PE class with hairy legs. Still do nowadays, but mostly because I feel more confident when I'm not hairy and I don't really like the feeling of having hair on my legs. My fiancé really couldn't care less how much hair I have, so that isn't an issue.
Original post by philistine
Women are not, have not been, and never will be, the same as men. Your comparison is invalid.

Negged.

Where and how much we should shave is not an irrefutable difference between men and women.

We, as society, created these perceived differences. We could, if we felt so inclined, change them.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm female, 22, and don't usually shave my legs, underarms or downstairs.
If I'm going to wear shorts or a skirt/dress for a specific occasion, I might shave my legs; if I'm wearing something strapless or whatever, ditto for underarms. When I go swimming, I might shave underarms if I feel like it.
I really don't see the big deal. Recently I went into town wearing a dress with leggings and boots, and yeah, there was an inch or two of hairy leg on show, big whoop. :rolleyes:

However, I do resent being asked to shave/wax by guys who resemble a gorilla. Fair's fair... if you're going to ask me to remove MY body hair to suit your preference, then you'd better remove yours too. Asking someone to do something you wouldn't do yourself doesn't sit well with me.
Original post by ArtGoblin
The only reason men like shaven legs is because we've made it the standard of beauty. There will always be a slight variation in what different people find attractive, but in other societies and at different time in history, plenty of things that we find disgusting, including hairy armpits, are considered attractive. This unequal expectation of gendered beauty needs to be challenged, and I think that not shaving is the opposite of pathetic. It's about having the choice to decide what to do with our bodies which we don't currently have. It takes a massive mental shift to even consider not shaving. I'm proud of myself for making that step.

I think being proud of it is a bit, weird :s-smilie: I mean, I shave but it's not something I pride myself on ...

What I find pathetic isn't making the choice to not shave because you don't want to, what I think is pathetic is when people chose to not shave specifically to 'rebel' It's a bit juvenile.

Either way, (this isn't aimed at you ArtGoblin but the entire thread) the whole subject is a bit ridiculous. Girls that shave are seen as girls that should be pitied because they "conform to society" and girls that don't shave are seen as heroines because they are "challenging the social norm" I couldn't care less what people do to their body hair tbh, all I know is, shaving is a must for me.
Original post by sarahthegemini
I think being proud of it is a bit, weird :s-smilie: I mean, I shave but it's not something I pride myself on ...

What I find pathetic isn't making the choice to not shave because you don't want to, what I think is pathetic is when people chose to not shave specifically to 'rebel' It's a bit juvenile.

Either way, (this isn't aimed at you ArtGoblin but the entire thread) the whole subject is a bit ridiculous. Girls that shave are seen as girls that should be pitied because they "conform to society" and girls that don't shave are seen as heroines because they are "challenging the social norm" I couldn't care less what people do to their body hair tbh, all I know is, shaving is a must for me.

I'm proud of it because to not shave as a woman in our society is difficult. I've never seen women who don't shave as 'heroines' (outside of the cosy feminist circle), nor women who don't shave as conforming to society (most feminists do not think this). The reality is that women who don't shave are going to be stereotyped as hardcore feminists, lesbians, hippies, outcasts or slobs. This means that the majority of women don't feel they have the choice whether or not they shave, even if they think they do. Of course, everyone has the right to choose what they do with their bodies, and I respect the right of every woman to shave her body hair if she chooses. I would just suggest that they analyse the reasons why they do it, and make sure it really is for themselves.

I decided the only way that I would really know why I was shaving was to stop. I did, and it looks fine. I no longer have to buy into the consumerist crap that is the hair removal industry, and I don't have to go through the annoying chore of removing it. But it's still difficult. I still feel awkward showing my bare legs to other people because I know that people think it's gross. But I'm doing it anyway, because that choice should exist for us! Don't you think it's ridiculous that something as insignificant as a bit of body hair on a female can be seen as an attempt to be rebellious? That's exactly why something needs to be done about it!
i have to admit i'm so lazy with shaving, i only ever shave my legs if i'm showing them off (which is never as it's always freezing in scotland) but i don't have bad leg hair, they never get that hairy. i normally shave my underarms though :P i didn't start shaving until secondary though, never heard of any girls in my primary class shaving :L
(edited 11 years ago)
I only ever shave mine in the warmer months. In the summer...me 'gorilla'. But, seriously, what is the point in shaving my legs when no-one is going to see them??
I think it depends how you feel about your personal image and your philosophy about life. Do you enjoy and celebrate your femininity, or want to challenge that stereotype? Personally I think you can be feminine and feminist at the same time, I don't wear trousers, I prefer skirts and dresses, and for me it's a matter of self respect and respect for those around me that I remove my body hair. To go out with stubble or worse a fully yeti look is for me the same has having BO from not showering.
I wax
Original post by Hot Nene
I wax

Good for you mate! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest