The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Knogle
They're just being polite.. what else do you expect them to say? :p:

haha. i guess you're right. hmm... they should actually provide constructive feedback. but i guess that would take up too much manpower. something along the lines of "You suck because ...." would be nice.
Reply 21
It'd be too controversial.. there's a reason why universities don't engange in correspondance with applicants over their decisions. Most don't even send out rejection letters, so PSC's already a step ahead.
Reply 22
soonalvin
Just got my letter from PSC. As expected, a firm rejection. I wonder why they always like to say they're sorry when they actually aren't.

Sorry about that. But Knogle's right, you have cambridge.
Reply 23
Just wondering, if you want to do medicine why not apply for medicine in the UK as well?
Reply 24
Zinc11
Just wondering, if you want to do medicine why not apply for medicine in the UK as well?

Becuase the Medicine course at NUS is extremely highly regarded, and heavily subsidised by the government for local students. Other than Oxbridge, it probably isn't worth going anywhere else to read Medicine.
I disagree. It comes with a sucky uber long bond. If you have the money I think it's better to do it in Australia. Well if you don't have the money....
Reply 26
schmetterling
I disagree. It comes with a sucky uber long bond. If you have the money I think it's better to do it in Australia. Well if you don't have the money....

I actually like the idea of that bond; it guarantees you work experience. And it's not too bad for guys, since they get to serve the remaining part of their NS as part of their bond.. best of all, as a MO. :biggrin:

To be perfectly honest, the only people who go to Australia to do medicine are those who didn't make it into NUS's course. So as good as the Aussie course may be, you'll be tagged with that "reject" attribute subconsciously by people.
I see. Lol. I just hate the idea of a bond. FREEDOM!
Reply 28
schmetterling
I see. Lol. I just hate the idea of a bond. FREEDOM!

Could you refresh my memory? :p: Where are you headed to? Imperial was it?
Uh yeah....except I'm applying for NUS med too :p:
Reply 30
schmetterling
Uh yeah....except I'm applying for NUS med too :p:

Woo, my memory isn't too bad. :p:

Good luck with that medicine app! :biggrin:
Reply 31
well, NUS med accepts about 150 students a year? i think people who really want to be doctors will do it whether it in in singapore or not.there's no such thing as the best medical school. nus and oxbridge's medicine course are just very traditional.

but soonalvin got into cambridge anyway so i was just wondering why not medicine at cambridge?

but i agree that most singaporeans try for NUS Med first before thinking about going overseas.
Reply 32
Zinc11
well, NUS med accepts about 150 students a year? i think people who really want to be doctors will do it whether it in in singapore or not.there's no such thing as the best medical school. nus and oxbridge's medicine course are just very traditional.

but soonalvin got into cambridge anyway so i was just wondering why not medicine at cambridge?

but i agree that most singaporeans try for NUS Med first before thinking about going overseas.

He applied for NatSci at Cambridge. You can't go there and switch to Medcine. :p:
Reply 33
I know. My question was why did he not apply for Medicine instead of NatSci. He very likely would have gotten in.

anyway, I was thinking and I realize that because of NS, boys kinda get a two-year 'Gap' so they can like apply and re-apply. Since you can only apply to cambridge OR oxford, they can try one each year. Haha.
Reply 34

Are you kidding? Chances of an international student receiving a place for medicine are next to zero. Chances of receiving an offer for NatSci are stratospheric comparatively.
Agreed. They have quotas for medicine places for internationals. -nod nod-
Reply 36
Knogle
Are you kidding? Chances of an international student receiving a place for medicine are next to zero. Chances of receiving an offer for NatSci are stratospheric comparatively.

haha. i've lots of friends with cambridge medicine offers. looks like they've been quite generous this year.

on the other hand, i might consider reapplying for cambridge med, if astar wants to sponsor me for Mbbs-PhD.

until then, NUS med is the best available option.
Reply 37
soonalvin
haha. i've lots of friends with cambridge medicine offers. looks like they've been quite generous this year.

How many is "lots"?

Fact: Cambridge only has 22 places for international applicants. That's awfully little.
Reply 38
And regarding A*Star's MBBS-PhD scholarship, are you sure they're still offering it this year? It doesn't seem to be anywhere on their website now, but you can still read about it on Google's cache here: http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:8Vu58tlUFJEJ:www.a-star.gov.sg/astar/about/action/scholarship_NSS_mbbs_phd.do.

Note:

The MBBS-PhD Programme has thus been established to train medical scientists who will be able to apply their clinical knowledge and skills in carrying out world-class translational research. This programme is jointly supported by the National University of Singapore, in collaboration with the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR).

The MBBS-PhD Programme comprises of 5 years MBBS at NUS, followed by 1 year Housemanship and National Service (where applicable) before proceeding to PhD studies.
Seems like it applies only for local universities.. which means they won't sponsor your MBBS education at Cambridge.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :smile:
Reply 39
Knogle
And regarding A*Star's MBBS-PhD scholarship, are you sure they're still offering it this year? It doesn't seem to be anywhere on their website now, but you can still read about it on Google's cache here: http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:8Vu58tlUFJEJ:www.a-star.gov.sg/astar/about/action/scholarship_NSS_mbbs_phd.do.

Note:

Seems like it applies only for local universities.. which means they won't sponsor your MBBS education at Cambridge.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :smile:

Came straight from the chairman's mouth during interview. can't be wrong eh? hahaha. although it's not really an officially official thing. chairman said it was possible. and upon meeting of several criteria.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending