The Student Room Group

*best* A-Level Chemistry/Biology Text Book & Revision Guides !!

HIYA every1. It would be so helpful if u could suggest me some best books. I am hoping to do the following topics.

CHEMISTRY
AQA (AS 5421 A2 6421)

Exam Units (unit no/title):
AS
Unit 1: CHM1 Atomic Structure, Bonding, and Periodicity
Unit 2: CHM2 Foundation Physical and Inorganic Chemistry
Unit 3: CH3C Introduction to Organic Chemistry

A2
Unit 4: Further Physical and Organic Chemistry
Unit 5: Thermodynamics and Further Inorganic Chemistry
Unit 6: Synoptic (Multiple Choice) Paper

BIOLOGY
Edexcel AS:8040 A2: 9040

Exam Units:
AS
Unit 1: Cells and Biomolecules
Unit 2B: Physiology of the mammal's body. Circulation, respiration and
reproduction. Adaptations shown by humans in extreme environments
Unit 3: Ecology.

A2
Unit 4: Physiology of the mammal, Nervous and hormonal co-ordination, Kidney functioning, Biochemistry of respiration. Option component: a study of the body's response to exercise, the physiology of muscle contraction and human diseases.
Unit 5B: Further ecology, Genetics and gene technology, Evolution of the Human Species. Mutation and diagnosis of human genetic disorders.
Unit 6: Synoptic

THANK YOU

( i have decided to note it as a sticky as any advice may help other alevel students doing simillar topics but i dnt knw how to note it as a 'sticky')

Scroll to see replies

Grrrr, don't type thread titles in capitals. It makes me less likely to read your thread, not more...
Reply 2
calcium878
Grrrr, don't type thread titles in capitals. It makes me less likely to read your thread, not more...

sorry..i didnt knw..got any advice for me?
Nope, sorry, I don't use revision guides ;no;
Reply 4
AS Level Chemistry for AQA (Advanced Level Chemistry for AQA)
by john atkinson and carol hibbert
ISBN : 0435581341

I thought this was an amazing book, a bit dear but covers everything u need to know
I did AQA biology so wouldnt be able to help u there

Theres an A2 version of the chem book as well, both cover all 3 modules for each year
Reply 5
mahesh.909
AS Level Chemistry for AQA (Advanced Level Chemistry for AQA)
by john atkinson and carol hibbert
ISBN : 0435581341

I thought this was an amazing book, a bit dear but covers everything u need to know
I did AQA biology so wouldnt be able to help u there

Theres an A2 version of the chem book as well, both cover all 3 modules for each year

Thank u soo much. Did u do the same AQA chemistry specification ? just curious...
Reply 6
i used CGP for biology and these books for each unit

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Energy-Environment-Edexcel-Biology-materials/dp/0003277143

it got me an A :smile:

dont use just one book for revision
i wouldnt reccomend CGP for chemistry though
Hah my Chemistry teachers are Hilbert and Atkinson :biggrin:
Reply 8
I did Edexcel for both.

Biology: Advanced Biology for you as a general textbook - very easy to read and understand - plus Collins guide series as an exam board specific textbook, which I used for revision.

Chemistry: I used this textbook for revision and for general learning. Quite wordy so I also used my own notes.
Reply 9
Excalibur
I did Edexcel for both.

Biology: Advanced Biology for you as a general textbook - very easy to read and understand - plus Collins guide series as an exam board specific textbook, which I used for revision.

Chemistry: I used this textbook for revision and for general learning. Quite wordy so I also used my own notes.

Thanks for taking ur time. Im doing only Edexcel for biology. I love books by Nelson Thornes...helped me a lot in gcses. thanks. i didnt knw that they also do alevel books.
You're welcome. The Chemistry guide that I linked to probably does one for AQA as well. In fact, there are probably more AQA revision guides out there than Edexcel ones so have a look.

I really advise against CGP books; I bought both for Bio & Chem and they were useless.
Reply 11
SilentGirl
Thank u soo much. Did u do the same AQA chemistry specification ? just curious...

Yeh i had the same spec. every1 in our class just used that book,
I think there is only 1 topic in the book now that u dont need 2 know, because the spec. got updated but u would probably want 2 check the AQA website for this year's spec.
Reply 12
Excalibur
You're welcome. The Chemistry guide that I linked to probably does one for AQA as well. In fact, there are probably more AQA revision guides out there than Edexcel ones so have a look.

I really advise against CGP books; I bought both for Bio & Chem and they were useless.

Oh yes..u r damn right. i hav had my experience with cgp in gcse. I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND IT TO ANY1 . Although for some science gcse modules it came useful. But still 'NO'. i was this close to suing them.
*Sigh* Please refrain from "txt spk" aswell.
Reply 14
calcium878
*Sigh* Please refrain from "txt spk" aswell.

Not Again ! LOL
I think CGP books are VERY useful for good note taking at AS/A2 level.

Probably just me..
Reply 16
Legend Killer
I think CGP books are VERY useful for good note taking at AS/A2 level.

Probably just me..

No, we all hav different preferences. BTW, u got some good grades there. Im starting my as level soon. I really cant decide whether i should take economics or not?? If i do, i might do OCR economics. Any ideas or advices? THANKS
SilentGirl
Not Again ! LOL

I appear to be on someone's hitlist :getmecoat
Reply 18
calcium878
I appear to be on someone's hitlist :getmecoat

Are you asking for it? ! :ts:
SilentGirl
No, we all hav different preferences. BTW, u got some good grades there. Im starting my as level soon. I really cant decide whether i should take economics or not?? If i do, i might do OCR economics. Any ideas or advices? THANKS

The OCR board is apparently the hardest examining board according to people on here/general view.

On the whole, IMO all exam boards are the same in terms of difficulty, and economics is a subject which I really enjoy, and will hope to excel into university.

One thing I love about economics is that if you grasp the general theory at the beginning of the course, you barely have to revise. I revised in the last 2 weeks prior to the exam and managed to waffle on in the essays and get an A grade.

One thing you must also do is constantly read the news/newspapers. This enables you to to apply your knowledge to real life situations, and examiners love this if you mention it in your exam. Reading around current affairs could not help you more.

Overall, i'd say its a brilliant subject and very valuable as a degree. You can choose to accountancy with economics/ politics/finance, so you have your options open.

Hope this helps.

Latest