The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

How to get to Sheffield Uni from the Train Station.

Hi,
I've just been invited to a departmental open day for Orthoptics at Sheffield. I've just had a quick look at train times and stuff and that all seems okay, but when I've looked on google maps to see how far away it is from the train station, it says it's about 1.8 miles or something! Is that right? I've never been to sheffield before and I don't fancy my chances walking those two miles, or getting a bus, having no clue where to get off.
Anyone got an advice or tell me what's the best way to get there from the train station?
Reply 1
foundintransmission
Hi,
I've just been invited to a departmental open day for Orthoptics at Sheffield. I've just had a quick look at train times and stuff and that all seems okay, but when I've looked on google maps to see how far away it is from the train station, it says it's about 1.8 miles or something! Is that right? I've never been to sheffield before and I don't fancy my chances walking those two miles, or getting a bus, having no clue where to get off.
Anyone got an advice or tell me what's the best way to get there from the train station?

The quickest and easiest way would be to catch the tram. Follow the signs in the train station to the tram stop. You need to catch a blue tram (going to Malin Bridge) (not a purple tram going to Cathedral or Meadowhall) Most of them are blue though so don't worry!

Get on the tram, and buy a ticket from the conductor inside. It will cost £3.50 for a return ticket (dayrider). Wait about 15 minutes, then get off at the "University of Sheffield" stop. The tram stop is right outside a university building called the Information Commons. The Students Union and other university buildings are a 2 minute walk up the hill from there. Simple :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
james99
The quickest and easiest way would be to catch the tram. Follow the signs in the train station to the tram stop. You need to catch a blue tram (going to Malin Bridge) (not a purple tram going to Cathedral or Meadowhall) Most of them are blue though so don't worry!

Get on the tram, and buy a ticket from the conductor inside. It will cost £3.50 for a return ticket (dayrider). Wait about 15 minutes, then get off at the "University of Sheffield" stop. Simple :smile:

Oh okies! Thanks alot, I'm still scared though, I don't fancy going all that way on my own [from Liverpool] and it isn't even my first choice, but I think it'll be interesting to go. But I'll remember that, blue tram :p:
Reply 3
foundintransmission
Oh okies! Thanks alot, I'm still scared though, I don't fancy going all that way on my own [from Liverpool] and it isn't even my first choice, but I think it'll be interesting to go. But I'll remember that, blue tram :p:

You're welcome! Yep, remember blue tram, but also remember going towards Malin Bridge - i.e. make sure you're going in the right direction :p:

Sheffield wasn't my first choice either, but I went on an open day and changed my mind after it. So it might surprise you :wink:
Reply 4
The tram routes are blue and yellow. This is identified by a square on the front of the tram and the name of the final destination, not by the colour of the tram itself. There is clear information on the platform though so it's easy to figure out :smile:
Okay thanks for your replies everyone!
james99
Sheffield wasn't my first choice either, but I went on an open day and changed my mind after it. So it might surprise you

Yeah but I live right near Liverpool so there's no point me moving away to study the same degree [and my parents are really set on me not moving away due to costs and stuff] I think i'll be getting a bursary anyway, but something in the back of my mind is telling me to go to Sheffield, I mean, the department is supposed to be better, but surely when the degree is only taught at two unis, it doesn't matter where you get it from? :smile:
Maybe moving away is good for you? Then again maybe it isn't. Looking around does no harm really does it?

Your other option is to come out the station, head for the bus station and get the bus numbers 40,52,120 or 80. There's more but they're the buses that stop near the university. I'd stick with tram though as at least you'll be told by the conductor the next stop that's arriving.
Reply 7
Id say the bus was easier.. get the 120 from literally outside the station and get off outside the uni.. can't really miss it. its only 50p too!
cheapaschips1000
Maybe moving away is good for you? Then again maybe it isn't. Looking around does no harm really does it?

Your other option is to come out the station, head for the bus station and get the bus numbers 40,52,120 or 80. There's more but they're the buses that stop near the university. I'd stick with tram though as at least you'll be told by the conductor the next stop that's arriving.

I dunno, I mean I've never really wanted to move away for uni, and that means I'd loose my job and everything. And when I know I'm not really going to be able to afford it when I have the chance of coming out of uni debt free, then I think I should take it. I was talking to my parents before, and they said their isn't really much point me going looking around, which is true, seeing as I don't really have any intention of going there, and might not get the grades, plus I don't really have the money right now to get down there and back.
But thanks for the bus suggestion :smile:
Reply 9
sarzbabe
its only 50p too!

Only if you're a student I think.

Yeah, go on the tram. Though on my open day we had to meet at The Edge at Endcliffe Village, in which case you'll be better off getting a 40,80 or 120 bus and getting off at the top of the hill leading to the village. (tram doesn't go there)
Reply 10
Gimothy
Only if you're a student I think.

Yeah but you could blag it with a 6th form card!
Reply 11
get the 120 from literally outside the station and get off outside the uni

The 120 that stops outside the station has come FROM the university and is heading to Halfway. You'd have a 2 hour round trip if you got this.

Like everyone else said; blue tram right from the back of the station. You want the (tram) platform nearest to the station entrance/exit, not the one on the other side of the tramlines. Also, don't get a day rider unless you intend to go elsewhere in Sheffield, 2 singles will be cheaper.
Reply 12
Hey, my train gets to the station at 12.25, is it possible to get to the Uni for 1.00pm, or do you think it would be better trying to get an earlier train? By the way, I would be using the tram to get from the station to the Uni.

Any help would be appreciated.
Easily, walking it's only about 10-15 mintues so by tram it'll be fine.
Taxi.

It costs 4.50£ in taxi and a return on tram is £3.
quizster
Hey, my train gets to the station at 12.25, is it possible to get to the Uni for 1.00pm, or do you think it would be better trying to get an earlier train? By the way, I would be using the tram to get from the station to the Uni.

Any help would be appreciated.

Yes.

To be fair you could walk and get there by 1.
Reply 16
Just take the tram. It's not a particularly difficult walk, either, but I can see your concern if you don't know where you're going.

cheapaschips1000
Easily, walking it's only about 10-15 mintues so by tram it'll be fine.

It's definitely more than that. Unless you have 6 foot legs, and run, there's no way you could do it in less than 20-25.

Latest

Trending

Trending