The Student Room Group

Gamestation ID requirements (Cash trade-in)

I tried to trade some games for cash today and was told I need ID. I have the ID but didn't have it on me so said I would go back next week when I had it.

I was thinking that ID is for fraud prevention or something, to stop people passing off dodgy games, but as I’m not 18 and the driving license would show I'm 17 if they worked it out, could stop me on that? The games are two 18's & a 15. If it was a mix I'm thinking I might have been able to get away with it, but not when they are all age restricted, Does anyone have any past experience? I know under 18's aren't supposed to buy the games in the first place, but don't know if there is anything to prevent them being passed on? I would just wait until May, but then the value will have practically gone

Reply 1
The age rating has got nothing to do with the reason for why they asked for ID. I went there to trade in rachet and clank, which is open for all to play and was asked for ID too!
Reply 2
Well I'm pretty sure there's no laws against under 18s trading in 18 rated games. If anything it should be encouraged :biggrin:
i remembered ages ago when i traded in a pokemon game they were only allowed to give you cash if you were at least 16 :hmmmm: trading with other games was fine though..
It probably wont prevent it, OP.

Worst comes to the worst then try. If denied then just wait until May. :smile:
Reply 5
You ******* stole them and are now trying to find away to circumvent the ID requirements, aren't you? Come clean.
Reply 6
The real question here though is why you intend on using a high street chain for cash trading, you'll get ripped off to a crazy degree.

eBay all the way
chaywa
The real question here though is why you intend on using a high street chain for cash trading, you'll get ripped off to a crazy degree.

eBay all the way

But he's not 18 - you need to be 18 to sign for eBay & paypal...
Reply 8
chaywa

eBay all the way

Excellent point you'll get about £3 in cash no matter what you trade inso find a find a friend who is 18 with ebay
Reply 9
Thanks everyone. I realised that on Sunday I don't want to take a bag with me, so I'll wait until next Saturday anyway, that way if they say no/I don't like the price then I'll just keep hold of them or swap them with mates

The Gamestation rules do seem crazy though. I used to have a console (haven’t had any for years now, since I got rid of it, until I got PS3 last month) and used to be able to get cash in "Play" I think it was all the time, but that's closed down around here (I think!). I remember that Gamestation were always funny about being over 16, but I never thought they would now want ID as well!!

Oh they did say I could have a credit note without ID, but everything in that shop is so unbelievably expensive so I don't think I'll be taking that option!

Nyet
You ******* stole them and are now trying to find away to circumvent the ID requirements, aren't you? Come clean.

Haha!! :rofl:

inksplodge
But he's not 18 - you need to be 18 to sign for eBay & paypal...

I've had them both since 12/13, whenever it was Natwest were crazy enough to give me a debit card! But yea you're right it should be 18+ only
Reply 10
This isn't a Gamestation-only policy.

It's a standard thing nowadays.
If you're selling an item to a company for cash value then you must be able to show sufficient ID to be noted down in the case of an allegation of theft.

You have to be 16+ for this because only Driving Licenses and Passports with accompanying Bank Statement/Bill are acceptable forms of ID.

And also, the whole 'must be 18+ to trade in 18's' thing is pretty common sense. It is against the law to sell, lend, trade or supply an age rated product to someone below that age. Therefore you must be old enough to have brought it yourself to be able to trade it in.

The policies are in force everywhere and I'm sick of idiots coming in saying it's stupid we have to take ID and we've got no right.

(ps. What is ridiculously expensive about preowned games that are half the price of their new counterparts??? Believe it or not but standard RRP is £49.99 on new games)
Reply 11
ChuckCB
It is against the law to sell, lend, trade or supply an age rated product to someone below that age. Therefore you must be old enough to have brought it yourself to be able to trade it in.
It's common knowledge that it's against the law to distribute age-rated products to people below that age, but there's nothing in the law prohibiting someone under-age from selling an age-rated product, unless the product was stolen. Just giving a hypothetical example, let's say you're 16 years old and buy 18-rated Killzone 2 from HMV, and then a couple of weeks later you find that a relative got the game as a birthday present for you. Because you have a duplicate, you go to Gamestation to trade it in. If they refuse to accept the trade-in because you're not 18, they're bending the law for no reason other than to cover their skin in a situation that would never affect them anyway - even if the trade-in WAS accepted, the only company in the wrong would be HMV for selling the game to a minor in the first place, as they are the only company to have committed a criminal offence.

(ps. What is ridiculously expensive about preowned games that are half the price of their new counterparts??? Believe it or not but standard RRP is £49.99 on new games)
Heh, like **** it is.
PS3/360: £44.99
Wii: £39.99
PC: £34.99 (sometimes more, sometimes less)
DS/PSP: £29.99 (sometimes less)

And almost no store would stick to RRP; taking Killzone 2 as an example again, I've had a browse round and found it listed at £39.99 at gamestation.co.uk and game.co.uk, £38.99 at argos.co.uk, £34.99 at play.com, amazon.co.uk, pcworld.co.uk and hmv.com, £34.91 at asda-entertainment.co.uk...couldn't see it on Tesco's website but I'd be willing to put money on it that it's not £44.99 in their shops, either...
Reply 12
ChuckCB

That is the standard RRP but it's rare that you'll have to pay that much for a new game. You can get them new for £40. Quite often pre-owned games are fairly old ones that you can find new for £20-£30 and pre-owned at Game or Gamestation they tend to be the same price. So it would be a good deal for games that have just come out except they're usually sold pre-owned at around £30-£35.

I can appreciate that high street stores can't really compete on price with online ones. But it's true that it's quite rare to find a good deal on pre-owned games in high street stores.
Reply 13
ChuckCB

And also, the whole 'must be 18+ to trade in 18's' thing is pretty common sense. It is against the law to sell, lend, trade or supply an age rated product to someone below that age. Therefore you must be old enough to have brought it yourself to be able to trade it in.

to being the pivitol word there, meaning that you can in no way supply someone under the age of 18 an 18+ rated game.But there is no law to stop an under 18 from selling an 18+ rated game to someone who is over the age limit.

Latest