The Student Room Group
At my Oxford interviews I wasn't asked any generic questions like 'Why English?' 'Why the Oxford course?' &c at all, and so my previous mock interview at school was completely useless in the end. Everything I was asked in Oxford related to works mentioned in my personal statement and the two poems I was given to analyse across the two interviews, so er, I can't really help. Oh, and that also applies to my UCL interview.

Aren't you the user who has written about how you dislike Shakespeare in your PS or something? I can't see Oxford tutors not bringing that up.
rainbow drops
At my Oxford interviews I wasn't asked any generic questions like 'Why English?' 'Why the Oxford course?' &c at all, and so my previous mock interview at school was completely useless in the end. Everything I was asked in Oxford related to works mentioned in my personal statement and the two poems I was given to analyse across the two interviews, so er, I can't really help. Oh, and that also applies to my UCL interview.

Aren't you the user who has written about how you dislike Shakespeare in your PS or something? I can't see Oxford tutors not bringing that up.

Yes, but I've taken that out now, seemed like I was trying to be deliberately obscure when I wasn't. I'll stick to what I do actually like from now on.

Thanks for the advice, I'm guessing he will actually be asking me generic questions. Didn't you get more specific English-y questions like "what's your favourite period of Literature", or anything?
Nope. I'd already underlined a couple of literary eras in my PS anyway. The vaguest question I remember was 'what's your favourite Frank O'Hara poem?' which led me to be able to expand on my reasoning etc, but even that led to something more specific. There's no way of predicting what they'll ask you.
OK, thank you :smile:
rainbow drops

exactly the same for me and Cambridge.
QMUL asked if I'd read any interesting magazine/newpaper articles recently, and what I liked about them. (And I hadn't, so nothing, damnit).

Latest

Trending

Trending