Reply 2
didgeridoo12uk
or... you could buy a bigger one

lol
Reply 3
didgeridoo12uk
or... you could buy a bigger one

thats still pretty clever though

its the OEM part for the specific job. its as short as it is due to the range of movement and the tension needed :wink:
crazyjoyce
its the OEM part for the specific job. its as short as it is due to the range of movement and the tension needed :wink:

ah fair enough then. what's it being used for?
Reply 5
its a center stand spring for my motorbike. there's another spring that goes inside that one to hold it off the road :smile:

the whole lot flew off when it touched down as i was cornering slightly fast!
its ideas like that which show Britains proud engineering/bodging heritage!!
Reply 7
That is ******* brilliant!

My mates KTM has these really tough exhaust springs and they are a bitch to get on and off, that idea may save me some time and profanities!

Thank you!
Reply 8
gbduo
That is ******* brilliant!

My mates KTM has these really tough exhaust springs and they are a bitch to get on and off, that idea may save me some time and profanities!

Thank you!

for exhaust springs you want one of these - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-MD-Exhaust-Springs-Puller_W0QQitemZ280404646155QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item41496b590b#ht_1201wt_1167

saves you ripping the skin off your knuckles every time you take the slip on off :smile:
Reply 9
crazyjoyce
for exhaust springs you want one of these - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-MD-Exhaust-Springs-Puller_W0QQitemZ280404646155QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item41496b590b#ht_1201wt_1167

saves you ripping the skin off your knuckles every time you take the slip on off :smile:

Cheers!
Reply 10
crazyjoyce
wedge washers, money or whatever in the spring to stretch it out. problem solved :biggrin:

Skoda stole your idea, they wedge spacers in the front coil springs of new cars to raise them a bit for transportation.

How do I know? I hired a '10 plate from Europcar this weekend with 500 miles on the clock, the ride was bumpy as hell and when I looked underneath the spacers were still fitted. Someone at the supplying dealers is getting a **********! :tongue:
Reply 11
chazilton
Skoda stole your idea, they wedge spacers in the front coil springs of new cars to raise them a bit for transportation.

How do I know? I hired a '10 plate from Europcar this weekend with 500 miles on the clock, the ride was bumpy as hell and when I looked underneath the spacers were still fitted. Someone at the supplying dealers is getting a **********! :tongue:

Yeh this is common practice at dealers, I know Honda do it as well and there have been many reports on the S2k forums where the stealer forgot to take out the spacers in the suspension! Never picked up in the PDI. Whoops!

Of course the manufacturers don't wedge the spacers in, they are simply placed there to stop the spring compressing during transport across heavy seas...! They are not intended to stretch the spring, like what the OP was talking about :wink:
Use a pair of side cutters and brute force!
Will it stay if you take out the money?
Original post by K1ttyCat
Will it stay if you take out the money?

This thread is from 2010...