The Student Room Group

Terrible pain in ear. Can't hear properly. Have a ruptured my ear drum?!

My right ear is hurting really badly and the pain seems to be originating from inside the ear. Plus I can't seem to hear very well from that ear. Seems like the ear has been 'popped' (like it happens on planes). I tried performing the Valsalva maneuver but it had no effect. I've thoroughly cleaned the ear as well. What's wrong?!
Reply 1
Oh and when I perform the Valsavla maneuver, I hear a squeaking sound in my left hear. Like air's escaping or something.
Reply 2
go to your GP, could be an infection
Any thoughts on the cause of this at all?
No clue. Although, I've been having blood coming out of my left ear for a few days now so we're both floating in the ear problem boat.
You could have a perforated ear drum. Go to the doctor.
Original post by Anonymous
My right ear is hurting really badly and the pain seems to be originating from inside the ear. Plus I can't seem to hear very well from that ear. Seems like the ear has been 'popped' (like it happens on planes). I tried performing the Valsalva maneuver but it had no effect. I've thoroughly cleaned the ear as well. What's wrong?!

If you used cotton buds its very possible you hit the ear drum and damaged it slightly (I've done it a few times). Normally it goes away after a day or so so give it a while, if it doesn't go away go to a doctor.
Original post by KellyWellyWoo537
If you used cotton buds its very possible you hit the ear drum and damaged it slightly (I've done it a few times). Normally it goes away after a day or so so give it a while, if it doesn't go away go to a doctor.

If you even suspect you have a perforated ear drum, you should not leave it that long. Sooner you get it seen to, the greater the chance to regaining hearing.
Reply 8

I cleaned the ear AFTER the pain and hearing loss began.
Original post by TheSownRose
If you even suspect you have a perforated ear drum, you should not leave it that long. Sooner you get it seen to, the greater the chance to regaining hearing.

Perforated and knocking it off balance or touching it and making it hurt are different....
Reply 10
I remember when I had what I think was a perforated ear drum the pain was the worst I've experienced, it was like a constant annoying pain, immune to painkillers, you just couldn't relax or anytyhing. It went away after a few days, were you recovering from a cold when this occured?
Original post by Anonymous
I cleaned the ear AFTER the pain and hearing loss began.

Wisdom tooth? My ear is in agony at the moment because of one :frown:
**** if I know, go to a doctor.
Perforated and knocking it off balance or touching it and making it hurt are different....

I know that. However, there is a distinct possibility that OP has perforated their ear drum, in which case they don't want to delay it for a day or two on the possibility that it could be something else. It would be better for them to get it seen to now and find out they haven't got a perforated ear drum than to leave it until it's too late.
I have same and it's swollen and extremely painful pulling me down the doc has given my antibiotics and 4days in no change , my necklace glands are swollen and my head hurts

Quick Reply

Latest