Can you eat a raw octopus?

Can you eat a raw octopus?
I've never eight a raw octopus!
Reply 2
What? Like in Oldboy?

*Seriously not for the faint of heart*

I'm pretty sure you can eat it live.
Reply 4
Probably. Most things are fine eaten raw if they're fresh enough. It's only factory farming where problems come in and things like salmonella spread over.
Reply 5
Probably. Most fish can be eaten raw.

You can't eat prawns raw though.
Reply 6
Yes you can.
Reply 7
Yeh probably, need to watch of for parasites though.
Reply 8
You can get octopus (tako) sashimi, but apparently it's quite tough. You can also eat some species live, although I'm not too keen on that idea myself.

Original post by a_t
What? Like in Oldboy?

Apparently, four of those live octopodes were used for that scene. Awesome film, though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Of course you can eat it raw.
Whether or not it will kill you is another question though.
Reply 10
This thread is reminding me of two girls one octopus :puke:
You can, but you'd have to be really, really careful.
Reply 12
and choke to death? their tentacles stay alive even after they've been severed from the body so good luck with them wrapped nicely around your throat.
Reply 13
In Korean cuisine, live octopus is quite common. One dish I've tried is where they fish out a baby octopus from the tank and chop it up right in front of you, then add a dash of soju (korean liquor) and sprinkle some ginger, then serve. Tentacles still ferociously wrinkling about even after 20 minutes. Another sort of dish (more like street food) is where they serve live octopus on a stick, literally grabbing a baby octopus, fresh from the tank, grab a wooden skewer, and let the octopus wrap itself around it. To "eat" it, you just sort of place the whole thing in your mouth, head first, and swallow it straight away.

Most seafood can be eaten fresh and raw really, especially shellfish and crustaceans.
Reply 14
Original post by Philbert
You can get octopus (tako) sashimi, but apparently it's quite tough. You can also eat some species live, although I'm not too keen on that idea myself.

Apparently, four of those live octopodes were used for that scene. Awesome film, though.

yeah, and the actor is a vegetarian!
Reply 15
Original post by a_t
What? Like in Oldboy?

:eek:
Watching that did strange things in my tummy :cry:
Reply 16
Yes of course you can, they eat them in Korea.

Or did you mean "Could you", in which case, no, I couldn't.

Quick Reply

Latest