The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Scroll to see replies

Hi, my application has been pretty much static for weeks now. They have sorted my dad's evidence, and sent him a letter confirming this, but they still havent sorted my mum's. I have rung twice, the first time she said my application would be approved (this was on 29th june). I rang again a week later (6th july) when nothing on my login had changed. This time, i managed to ascertain that they had looked at my mum's evidence at some point, but haven't finalised it.

So at the moment my application is going nowhere. Both the people i spoke to agreed that my application is taking way longer than it should have done. But i still have yet to see any change on my login, or be sent my declaration. I sent my application off quite early in the time frame, and sent all my evidence on time.
Anyone else who had to ring up with a problem, how long did the change take to show up on your login?

It's looking like I'm going to have to ring them again. Has anyone got any idea what has gone wrong/is going wrong? Or what tactics I could try next time i have to ring them up to make them sort it?

I know I sound like I'm ranting,but like most people, i really need this money to go to uni. Thanks for any response :smile:
Original post by ladymary
Hi will changing over my bank account that my loan gets paid into efffect when i get my loan? and will they send me another declaration to sign and send? My application has already been approved btw.

No if you do it at least a week before the payment is due and No as the signed dec has nothing to do with your bank details. It's accepting their Ts & Cs. :smile:
Does anyone know where I can find the paper forms for student finance application, i can find 2010/2011, but not 2011/2012. Help please
Original post by Rachel08
Hi, my application has been pretty much static for weeks now. They have sorted my dad's evidence, and sent him a letter confirming this, but they still havent sorted my mum's. I have rung twice, the first time she said my application would be approved (this was on 29th june). I rang again a week later (6th july) when nothing on my login had changed. This time, i managed to ascertain that they had looked at my mum's evidence at some point, but haven't finalised it.

So at the moment my application is going nowhere. Both the people i spoke to agreed that my application is taking way longer than it should have done. But i still have yet to see any change on my login, or be sent my declaration. I sent my application off quite early in the time frame, and sent all my evidence on time.
Anyone else who had to ring up with a problem, how long did the change take to show up on your login?

It's looking like I'm going to have to ring them again. Has anyone got any idea what has gone wrong/is going wrong? Or what tactics I could try next time i have to ring them up to make them sort it?

I know I sound like I'm ranting,but like most people, i really need this money to go to uni. Thanks for any response :smile:

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I sent in all my evidence at the end of April but only just got mine approved yesterday.

Go into the evidence section and put in what you sent them again (as if you were going to print the cover letters again) and you will see on the next page that in the list of evidence each will have a note in italics underneath saying when they sent it back.

If a piece of evidence doesn't have that note then they haven't processed it. So even if you had sent it off and got it back, they didn't process it properly and you'll probably end up having to send it again.

In my case they didn't process my Mothers decree absolute. But it was a non-vital piece of evidence and they could find out about her marital status in other ways so after ringing up several times they processed it anyway without me having to send it in.

Best of luck.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5524
are we actually gonna be paid on time. haha.
I need to know, do I need to make an application for both my firm and insurance place even if they are at the same university?
Original post by The Cornerstone
I need to know, do I need to make an application for both my firm and insurance place even if they are at the same university?

You apply for your firm. If you end up doing your insurance, you complete a change of circumstances form (or online).
Do student finance always ask for evidence for maintenance grant? Or can they find out on their own
Original post by jhamblin1
Does anyone know where I can find the paper forms for student finance application, i can find 2010/2011, but not 2011/2012. Help please

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/DG_194466

Looks like you have to phone up for an application form.
Original post by arob752
Do student finance always ask for evidence for maintenance grant? Or can they find out on their own

It's down to you and your sponsors to provide it.
I've sent my passport 3 weeks ago and I am still waiting, when am I expected to get it back?
Original post by glf2110
It's down to you and your sponsors to provide it.

Even if they dont ask for any?
Original post by glf2110
You apply for your firm. If you end up doing your insurance, you complete a change of circumstances form (or online).

Cheers
Original post by arob752
Even if they dont ask for any?

Depending on you/your sponsors answers will depend on what evidence they ask for.. Have you checked your online account to see if they're asking you for anything?
Reply 5534
Original post by mike_mike
You simply give Student Finanace England a call and they will change the course for you.
Taking an year in the industry might give you a better value than a year in North America by the way:wink:

Thanks, I will probably do so unless they help me via internet :biggrin: but until then,i'm still looking for that "make a change" button on your profile, where the f*ck is it? everyone can see it except me, it seems..
Original post by alwaysme
Exactly the same thing happened to me. I sent in all my evidence at the end of April but only just got mine approved yesterday.

Go into the evidence section and put in what you sent them again (as if you were going to print the cover letters again) and you will see on the next page that in the list of evidence each will have a note in italics underneath saying when they sent it back.

If a piece of evidence doesn't have that note then they haven't processed it. So even if you had sent it off and got it back, they didn't process it properly and you'll probably end up having to send it again.

In my case they didn't process my Mothers decree absolute. But it was a non-vital piece of evidence and they could find out about her marital status in other ways so after ringing up several times they processed it anyway without me having to send it in.

Best of luck.

It was financial evidence that I sent off, and you have to send copies for that so they don't send it back. Idk what's going on; my dad rang them on saturday but with no luck :frown: They just don't seem to want to give me any money :frown:
This is one for people who've had a year of student finance already really, but all are welcome to read, I could do with any help of suggestions you have :smile:

Ok so i've posted before about the saga (and yes I think that word is justified) I've had with student finance. My Dad rang them up on saturday, and whilst we still got nowhere, they gave him a little more info than they'd given me.

Apparently there's a difference between the amount of money on my mum's financial evidence and the amount that HMRC said she'd earnt. They said this was around £160, which is actually the exact amount she'd put on her declaration (she is starting up a small business). We do not understand it as her evidence was her tax form which is what HMRC have :confused: Anyone understand what's gone on here??

Also they say there is a difference in my dad's of just over £1000. He was trying to get out of the guy on the phone whether we ever get anything explaining what values of income are used to calculate my entitlement and the guy seemed unclear. So, do we get anything explaining this? Also, if you think they've used the wrong amount of parental income, hence given you the wrong amount, is there any way of appealing against this?

My mum and Dad checked all the info they sent off, and it was all correct, no errors anywhere. Also, there is still no progress with my application, despite having submitted evidence 2 and a half months ago.

HELP!
Reply 5537
Original post by Starburst Scarlett
I need some help please can anyone help me.

Basically student finance has sent back a new birth certificate and declaration form for the 3rd time saying that the previous 2 was incorrectly completed and I don't know why because they haven't said which parts were incorrect. I am very distressed.

same here mate, i just received mine for the 3rd / 4th time. They are really unhelpful as they just state incorrectly completed, and do not explain which parts were so how are we suppose to redo it correctly?!?!

Does anyone know the absolute latest student finance will accept applications? thanks.
Original post by Meesta
same here mate, i just received mine for the 3rd / 4th time. They are really unhelpful as they just state incorrectly completed, and do not explain which parts were so how are we suppose to redo it correctly?!?!

Does anyone know the absolute latest student finance will accept applications? thanks.

9 months after the start of the academic year - so May/June 2012.
Reply 5539
Original post by Meesta

they did this to me, you need to ring them up and ask what the mistakes are. They sent mine back because the person who did mine didnt include a phone number.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending