The Student Room Group
On campus building at University of South Wales
University of South Wales

Glamorgan - studying in Treforest, living in Cardiff

Anyone else doing the same as me?

I only got my place at Glamorgan through clearing yesterday and it seems that all the accommodation near the campus is full, so I'm gonna have to live in one of the Liberty Living halls (probably Cambrian Point) in Cardiff. I'm pleased about it though, I'm excited to be living in the city!

I'll be studying Events Management :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, ive been offered a place through clearing for human biology :smile: was thinking of living at the bakery? but ive been accepted in to cov so im not too sure which way to go :\ still deciding but have to decide by tomorrow which isnt too good :\
On campus building at University of South Wales
University of South Wales
Reply 2
Yeah it's hard isn't it, it's all really rushed! And it's annoying that it's the weekend 'coz some of the Unis don't answer the phones on weekends! Have you compared the costs of halls and what the local area is like for each Uni?

I've just been looking at the halls again and it does look like the Bakery is better for me as it's closer to the train station. I'm going to call Glamorgan on Monday and ask them about it.
Reply 3
Does anyone know if they will hold your place if you don't reply by the deadline. I had a few queries about my course and the admissions tutor isn't in until Monday but I have to reply within 48 hours and I got an offer on Friday morning. I did call the uni up today and told them about my situation and they said that they will put that in my "file". How likely is it that I will lose my place?
Reply 4
Original post by rosiegarden
Yeah it's hard isn't it, it's all really rushed! And it's annoying that it's the weekend 'coz some of the Unis don't answer the phones on weekends! Have you compared the costs of halls and what the local area is like for each Uni?

I've just been looking at the halls again and it does look like the Bakery is better for me as it's closer to the train station. I'm going to call Glamorgan on Monday and ask them about it.

i know its crazy! i still havent decided!!! :confused: yeah the cost of the ones in cardiff look cheaper. you gonna live at the bakery then? :smile: thats where hopefully ill stay too if i decide to go there. btw what course are you doing? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by mkb230
Does anyone know if they will hold your place if you don't reply by the deadline. I had a few queries about my course and the admissions tutor isn't in until Monday but I have to reply within 48 hours and I got an offer on Friday morning. I did call the uni up today and told them about my situation and they said that they will put that in my "file". How likely is it that I will lose my place?

I have been having a similar problem, on Friday evening they told me I had 48 hours to reply, but I haven't been 'released' from my previous first choice Uni yet (ie. they still think I wanna go there!) and I can't contact them 'til Monday. I told Glamorgan and they also said they'd add that info to my file said something like 'we've offered you a place so we have to honour that' so as long as you ask them nicely to hold your place I don't think they will give it away!
Reply 6
Original post by prabstar123
i know its crazy! i still havent decided!!! :confused: yeah the cost of the ones in cardiff look cheaper. you gonna live at the bakery then? :smile: thats where hopefully ill stay too if i decide to go there. btw what course are you doing? :smile:

Yeah tomorrow once I've sorted everything out and I can officially confirm my place I'm gonna apply for the Bakery, and if I have to put a second choice I'll put Cambrian Point.

I'll be studying Events Management on the Treforest campus. The halls there seem nice (and quite cheap, I think about £90 a week for a basic room?) but they're all booked up. I think I'd rather live in Cardiff city centre anyway though so I don't mind!

How are you getting on with deciding between Coventry and Glamorgan? I went to Coventry once for an open day and it was really nice but I don't know much about the surrounding area or the city life 'coz we only had time to look at the Uni :smile:
Reply 7
Yeah tomorrow once I've sorted everything out and I can officially confirm my place I'm gonna apply for the Bakery, and if I have to put a second choice I'll put Cambrian Point.

I'll be studying Events Management on the Treforest campus. The halls there seem nice (and quite cheap, I think about £90 a week for a basic room?) but they're all booked up. I think I'd rather live in Cardiff city centre anyway though so I don't mind!

How are you getting on with deciding between Coventry and Glamorgan? I went to Coventry once for an open day and it was really nice but I don't know much about the surrounding area or the city life 'coz we only had time to look at the Uni :smile:

Nice :smile: id be on the glyntaff campus bit which is next to treforest :smile: i think i prefer the bakery cuz its closer to the station. i still stuck :\ ive applied for a human biology course at glamorgan but i just realised that some modules are mainly chemistry based and i never grasped the concept of it so im a bit worried cuz if i do come glamorgan and then mess up im literally screwed :\ plus im really worried about not making any friends ahaha probably what everyone thinks tbf. the only thing swaying me towards cov is that it can offer me a sandwich course and that id be saving money. tbh the surrounding area isnt all that lol! not compared to cardiff :smile:
Reply 8
I got through Clearing as well, doing Medical Science :smile: In the same boat, looks like the only official accommodation is in Cardiff, but I had a look at the private accommodation and there's some very very cheap ones, going for £40 or £50 a week, but I don't know exactly what they offer.

I have an interview on Monday so i'll be heading over and asking them where would be the best place to stay.
Reply 9
Original post by Adalira
I got through Clearing as well, doing Medical Science :smile: In the same boat, looks like the only official accommodation is in Cardiff, but I had a look at the private accommodation and there's some very very cheap ones, going for £40 or £50 a week, but I don't know exactly what they offer.

I have an interview on Monday so i'll be heading over and asking them where would be the best place to stay.

Yeah private accommodation is usually cheaper but I'm willing to pay the extra money for halls so I can meet loads of people and have the full 'fresher experience'.

And for accommodation that cheap you might not get bills included. A lot of my friends who went to Uni last year are in private houses this year and their basic rent is about £40/£50 but then bills bump it up to £70/£80. It's still cheaper but beware of hidden costs! :smile:
Reply 10
I'm studying in Treforest too and booked a room at Ty Pont :smile: It's right opposite Queen Street Station so it'll only take around 25 minutes to get there each morning. Plus it looks loveely :biggrin:
Reply 11
I have been having a similar problem, on Friday evening they told me I had 48 hours to reply, but I haven't been 'released' from my previous first choice Uni yet (ie. they still think I wanna go there!) and I can't contact them 'til Monday. I told Glamorgan and they also said they'd add that info to my file said something like 'we've offered you a place so we have to honour that' so as long as you ask them nicely to hold your place I don't think they will give it away!

I didn't want to risk so I confirmed it on UCAS track but they need to approve it now. Excited for freshers week :biggrin:
Reply 12
personally if i was travelling to treforest from cardiff id live at the bakery nearer central station because trains have a habit of not stopping at queen street. the only problem with the location of the bakery is that you have to walk under a railway bridge to get to and from the station which isnt too bad now coz theyve put lights under there but having been mugged there at 15 i would be wary. also the bakery is on the edge of grangetown which isnt one of the nicest areas of cardiff so again be wary not to wonder too far into that area. but all that said i would choose the bakery over the other alls whenever ive driven past there at night theres been a visible security presence on the door which ive not seen anywhere else and it would make me feel safer if i was going to live there
hope that helps anyone whose not decided where to live yet ive lived in cardiff for 10 years so i know it well so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask x
Reply 13
Anyone else doing the same as me?

I only got my place at Glamorgan through clearing yesterday and it seems that all the accommodation near the campus is full, so I'm gonna have to live in one of the Liberty Living halls (probably Cambrian Point) in Cardiff. I'm pleased about it though, I'm excited to be living in the city!

I'll be studying Events Management :smile:

There are always "Room mate" advertisements on glamlife (http://glamlife.glam.ac.uk/). The advertisements are on the right hand-side of the page.
Reply 14
so just got a verbal offer today, what is Cambrian Point like ???
Reply 15
Yeah im guna have to live in cambrina point aswell I think, as treforest is full up, which I aint to bothered about as I want the city life anyway. The bakery is all full it seems, so think im going to apply for Cambrian later today. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by WillEdgell
Yeah im guna have to live in cambrina point aswell I think, as treforest is full up, which I aint to bothered about as I want the city life anyway. The bakery is all full it seems, so think im going to apply for Cambrian later today. :smile:

Where did you read/hear that the Bakery is full? On the website it says there are still rooms available. I hope you're wrong, I really want to live there :frown:

Edit: I have just rung them and they said that they are indeed full :frown: I'm on the waiting list now but am now going to look for a private rented house in Treforst. BOOOOO the Bakery's website gave me false hope!
(edited 12 years ago)
im gunna be studying at trefforest but living in cardiff. got a place at the bakery but only booked it around the day of results so might still be spaces :smile:
Reply 18
Looks like I will be living at Cambrian point if I don't hear back off Glamorgan soon. Shame there's no near car parking :\
Reply 19
Original post by owentho1
Looks like I will be living at Cambrian point if I don't hear back off Glamorgan soon. Shame there's no near car parking :\

I will be living there as well, what was your first choice?

Quick Reply

Latest