The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Im applying for Paramedic Science this year too. Spent all last year reading the horror stories of how many applications each uni gets etc but decided to go ahead anyway!

I'm a mature student (23yo) and just started an Access to Life Science course. Don't have too much health care experience other than I've been in St Johns Ambulance for a year and also a Community First Responder, going to try and bump that up a bit over next few months though.

Feeling so negative about my application though to be honest as I keep reading about people with tonnes of health care experience and don't think I have a chance.

Ah well good luck to everyone!
Reply 41
Original post by SammySnips
Im applying for Paramedic Science this year too. Spent all last year reading the horror stories of how many applications each uni gets etc but decided to go ahead anyway!

I'm a mature student (23yo) and just started an Access to Life Science course. Don't have too much health care experience other than I've been in St Johns Ambulance for a year and also a Community First Responder, going to try and bump that up a bit over next few months though.

Feeling so negative about my application though to be honest as I keep reading about people with tonnes of health care experience and don't think I have a chance.

I am feeling so nervous too! I don't think I have a chance either as the subjects I am studying aren't Biology or Chemistry which are preferred -_-

Most unis LOVE mature students as they have more life experience so you may be in luck..

Where are you applying too?
Don't worry Sammy. There are people on my course with no healthcare experience. They got on because they had life experience or experience of talking to people within their work.
Reply 43
Original post by Happy_Holidays
Don't worry Sammy. There are people on my course with no healthcare experience. They got on because they had life experience or experience of talking to people within their work.

That makes things cool!
Reply 44
Original post by SammySnips

You'll never know if you don't try! I think we're all feeling pretty negative about our applications by the seems of it, but there's no point giving up hope before the process has even started :tongue:

Don't be put down by your lack of healthcare experience, you might turn up at interview and find that they love you as a person, so just go for it! Good luck!
Reply 45
Original post by hhh123
Well from what I've gathered, Plymouth university really like 'older' candidates. Those who have had a job beforehand and managed to gain 'life experience', so you may be surprised! :smile:

Brighton university have just emailed me back (the course there is a BSc too) and they have said that my grades would be acceptable - so looks like that's one of my choices now too! I think Swansea is my top choice though. Although I really like the look of Worcester and Bristol -_- Too many to decide from! Let's just hope one of them will accept us!!!

That's good news about Brighton. Swansea was my top choice, that's one of the reasons it was the only uni I applied to last year but after looking at some of the other courses there are quite a few that seem pretty good, and moving away is really tempting! I guess it will all come down to which courses accept us... kind of don't want to set my heart on one uni because paramedic courses seem to be so unpredictable in who they accept and who they don't.

Anyways, got a job interview for that care assistant role tomorrow, so fingers crossed - I'm really nervous!
Reply 46
Original post by Tacita
That's good news about Brighton. Swansea was my top choice, that's one of the reasons it was the only uni I applied to last year but after looking at some of the other courses there are quite a few that seem pretty good, and moving away is really tempting! I guess it will all come down to which courses accept us... kind of don't want to set my heart on one uni because paramedic courses seem to be so unpredictable in who they accept and who they don't.

Apparently there are 16 places for 1000 applicants at some unis. I think it's coming to the point where we can't pick the uni, we just want some where to accept us!!!

Ahh! Good luck with that. Let us know how you do!

Anyways, got a job interview for that care assistant role tomorrow, so fingers crossed - I'm really nervous!
Reply 47
Struggling so much with my personal statement -_-
Reply 48
Hey guys,
I`m thinking about applying for Paramedic Science in 2012, too.
I`m still thinking it all through and try to get into the whole UCAS thing and such, but I would propably apply for:

Herts
Plymouth
Surrey
Greenwich
and Oxford Brookes

-> I`m more interested into the BscHons courses, obviously.

I guess you could call me a mature student. I`m 22 yrs old, live in Germany. Here, I`m working in EMS too, I`ve made my two years training to be a Rettungsassistent (somewhat between an EMT-I and EMT-P, it`s hard to compare since we`ve got Emergency physician riding the streets) and I`ve worked a year in this position up to this day.
Don`t know about my chances to get picked, but my Abitur (A-Levels) was pretty good and I guess the work experience can`t hurt, can it?!
Reply 49
Anyone applied yet...?

I am SOOOOOOOOOO very nervous.
Reply 50
Original post by Vorenus
Hey guys,
I`m thinking about applying for Paramedic Science in 2012, too.
I`m still thinking it all through and try to get into the whole UCAS thing and such, but I would propably apply for:

Herts
Plymouth
Surrey
Greenwich
and Oxford Brookes

-> I`m more interested into the BscHons courses, obviously.

I guess you could call me a mature student. I`m 22 yrs old, live in Germany. Here, I`m working in EMS too, I`ve made my two years training to be a Rettungsassistent (somewhat between an EMT-I and EMT-P, it`s hard to compare since we`ve got Emergency physician riding the streets) and I`ve worked a year in this position up to this day.
Don`t know about my chances to get picked, but my Abitur (A-Levels) was pretty good and I guess the work experience can`t hurt, can it?!

Hi, welcome :smile: your work experience will do you a world of good, and being an international candidate will probably be in your favour too. Good luck with your application, let us know how you get on!
Reply 51
Original post by hhh123
Anyone applied yet...?

I am SOOOOOOOOOO very nervous.

Still doing my form, aiming to send it off by mid-October. Got that care assistant job, doing my induction training at the moment, really looking forward to it :biggrin:
Reply 52
Original post by Tacita
Still doing my form, aiming to send it off by mid-October. Got that care assistant job, doing my induction training at the moment, really looking forward to it :biggrin:

Ah well done with getting the job!

Although I hate to look at it this way, I think I will take a gap year if I receive no offers and work as a Healthcare Assistant!

Same here, I think I'll send mine mid-October too. Just got a bit of polishing to do on the personal statement!
Reply 53
I'm applying for

1) Surrey
2) Brighton
3) Plymouth
4) St Georges
5) Greenwich

Already applied to Birmingham city and Swansea.

Do you know when Swansea start shortlisting?
Reply 54
Original post by Dan9878
I'm applying for

1) Surrey
2) Brighton
3) Plymouth
4) St Georges
5) Greenwich

I am also applying to Birmingham city and Swansea. Haven't posted my applications yet. I was reading on the 2011 thread that most people started hearing about their interviews in November etc.
I applied last year, got 4 interviews, and on one reserve list but that was it :frown:
Going to try again this year! :biggrin:
Reply 56
Original post by bananacake14
I applied last year, got 4 interviews, and on one reserve list but that was it :frown:
Going to try again this year! :biggrin:

How much work experience did you have last year? Why didn't you get in?
Reply 57
Original post by Dan9878
I'm applying for

1) Surrey
2) Brighton
3) Plymouth
4) St Georges
5) Greenwich

I think they started interviewing at the beginning of December last year, and interviews go on until the end of March, so you tend to hear back in April.
Reply 58
Original post by hhh123
Ah well done with getting the job!

Although I hate to look at it this way, I think I will take a gap year if I receive no offers and work as a Healthcare Assistant!

Same here, I think I'll send mine mid-October too. Just got a bit of polishing to do on the personal statement!

Thanks, that's a really good idea, it's good to have a back-up plan, and then you'll have an even better application next year.
Reply 59
Original post by Tacita
Hi, welcome :smile: your work experience will do you a world of good, and being an international candidate will probably be in your favour too. Good luck with your application, let us know how you get on!

Thanks.
I`m still a bit unsure how to master the financial burden. As an EU student I`d get the governmental loan for the (huge) tuition fees, but since I`m no UK citizen, I won`t qualify for living grants/loans. :mad:

Latest