Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emmaaa88
Applying to Government and Economics!

8 A*s and 2 As at GCSE.
AAAA at AS in Economics, History, Maths and Critical Thinking. Got a C in Philosophy which was massively disappointing.
Predicted A* A* A* A* in Economics, History, Maths and Philosophy (will be retaking the Philosophy and my teacher assumes I'll do a lot better...)
Also doing the EPQ/AQA Bacc.
My personal statement is good, I have good work experience and pretty good wider study. Reference should be fine too. Obviously the major blot is the C in Philosophy... I'm hoping they'll not scratch me off the list straight away because of it! I'd really love to go to LSE, my first choice uni I think.

Good luck to all fellow applicants! :smile:

I got on to Government this year with AABB so I wouldn't really worry. Your GCSEs are similar to mine, but, yeah, as I say, C in Philosophy shouldn't damage your chances too much :smile:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
is it possible to get into lse for economics with A*A*AA prediction but really bad gcse's and a strong personal statement?
Reply 82
Original post by ihategeography
is it possible to get into lse for economics with A*A*AA prediction but really bad gcse's and a strong personal statement?

Maybe, but most likely no.
I'm an American and will be applying for International Relations. LSE is my first choice of everywhere I'm applying, although Oxford (PPE) is a close second (but to be perfectly honest that's largely due to Oxford's very esteemed reputation in the US).

I will be applying with mostly predicted scores. Will this substantially hurt my application? I know a lot of students in the UK do as well, but I only have 5 scores to send (they are US AP scores, and only one is a 5, the rest are 4s). I really don't want the 4s to hurt my application, but I guess I need something to show that I actually did work over the last three years. I self-studied all of them as well (so I had no formal instruction whatsoever) but I think that means a lot more in the US than it does in the UK...
Original post by Aluu93
Anyone else here applying for 'Economics and Economic History'?

GCSEs:10/10 A*s
AS Levels: 3As and a B (none cashed in)
A2 Level Predictions: History (A*) Economics (A*) Maths (A) French AS (A) Further Maths AS (A)
Goodish personal statement I believe, I'm surprised why many don't apply to this course, it seems really interesting!

I'm applying for Economic history with Economics and i've already sent my ucas.:colondollar: And i 'm from mainland China
I got 5A* 4A in my Igcses, A in AS history, A in AS physics, A in AS economics and A in ALEVEL maths(which i did in my as year). I am continuing economics and history in my A2 year as well as further maths(alevel). My PS is ...good i think ,but im really afraid that i put too much emphasis on economics rather than history T A T

I dont know my predictions cause the teachers at our school arent allowed to tell us, but i got 100%in Economics and 93%in history, i think they will predict a A* for me.... As for further maths i have been working very hard and i think i would have at least earned a predicted A.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by emmaaa88

Hey I'm applying for Government & History too! Can't believe there are only 15 places on the course!!
Original post by ihategeography

very unlikely, as you hate Geography, which is largely relevant to Economics. LOL
GEOGRAPHY. but i'm still a bit undecisive on whether i should choose geography or environment and development......E&D seems to be quite a unique (apparently LSE is the only institute that has this course) course, but i'm particularly interested in this field.
Reply 88
I'm applying for International Relations, really dead-set on LSE so I hope I get an offer! Anyone else applying for IR?
Reply 89
Hi, im applying for Accounting and Finance.
LSE says it may take up to 3 months to get back to you, does this mean if they like people they will start to give offers out straight after october 15th. What would happen if i sent my application of this week?
Reply 90
Original post by Alpha5
Hi, im applying for Accounting and Finance.
LSE says it may take up to 3 months to get back to you, does this mean if they like people they will start to give offers out straight after october 15th. What would happen if i sent my application of this week?

They may give out the rare offer early, but they tend to hang on until all applications are in (so mid-Jan) then give them out in a cycle of offer/rejection on alternating Fridays until they're all done, which may not be until the end of March/beginning of April.
Reply 91
These bastards rejected me last year saying 'Your personal statement was good, but not as good as others'. Grrr :smile:.
Reply 92
Original post by onlyskin
Hey, I'm going to be starting Politics and Philosophy next month, moving into halls in a couple of days, so if anyone's got any questions about applying or whatever, feel free to ask! Can't believe it's two years since I applied :smile:

I'd be interested to know your Alevel subjects, GCSE and AS grades, what you got overall, what LSE's offer was, and how life at LSE is ? :smile:

Also LSE are known for their tendency to put lots of emphasis on GCSEs, however have you ever spoken to/met an LSE student who had mediocre GCSE grades - by mediocre I mean 2/3 A*s, a couple of As, Bs and Cs, ended up getting good AS grades, got predicted 3As and was given an offer? Thanks
Reply 93
Original post by TheMeister
I got on to Government this year with AABB so I wouldn't really worry. Your GCSEs are similar to mine, but, yeah, as I say, C in Philosophy shouldn't damage your chances too much :smile:

I'm unsure whether to apply for government at LSE.. my AS grades weren't great :s AABBD (arabic, sociology, gov&politics, english lit and french) although I am predicted A*AA and i'm doing the EPQ this year.. my gcse results aren't outstanding either. A*A*A*AAAABBCC.

Would you advice me to go for it? I'm aware I will be competing with students with a string of A* at gcse's and this put me off..
Reply 94
Original post by Fofo
I'd be interested to know your Alevel subjects, GCSE and AS grades, what you got overall, what LSE's offer was, and how life at LSE is ? :smile:

Also LSE are known for their tendency to put lots of emphasis on GCSEs, however have you ever spoken to/met an LSE student who had mediocre GCSE grades - by mediocre I mean 2/3 A*s, a couple of As, Bs and Cs, ended up getting good AS grades, got predicted 3As and was given an offer? Thanks

I did Politics, Maths, Chemistry, got A*AB in that order, Further Maths AS at A - my offer was AAB. My GCSEs were 8 A*s and 5As, life at LSE is good thanks! Very busy already, far too much reading to do, but we don't start classes until week 3 (week after next) so I don't think I can really comment on everything yet! We're just doing lectures at the moment, and I've only had two - next two tomorrow.

I haven't asked a single person what they did at A Level and what grades they got, same with GCSE, because that's all behind us now. We all got in and we're all doing our degrees now, I don't see the need to ever bring it up! A few people have asked me but I could tell they were only doing it in a competitive way, and made sure they told me their results if they'd done better than me.
Reply 95
I did Politics, Maths, Chemistry, got A*AB in that order, Further Maths AS at A - my offer was AAB. My GCSEs were 8 A*s and 5As, life at LSE is good thanks! Very busy already, far too much reading to do, but we don't start classes until week 3 (week after next) so I don't think I can really comment on everything yet! We're just doing lectures at the moment, and I've only had two - next two tomorrow.

I haven't asked a single person what they did at A Level and what grades they got, same with GCSE, because that's all behind us now. We all got in and we're all doing our degrees now, I don't see the need to ever bring it up! A few people have asked me but I could tell they were only doing it in a competitive way, and made sure they told me their results if they'd done better than me.

Ah I see, well congratulations on getting in, and wish you all the best :smile:
Reply 96
LSE Economics, Economics and Economics History

GCSE 12A*, (A in FSMQ Maths)(plus 2A* in RE shortcourse and Electronics)
AS-Level
Economics 100 average
History 99 average
A-Level maths 588/600 (C3 100/100 C4 99/100) so A* :cool:
Physics 271/300
Critical thinking 182/200 pointless subject.

What do people think about applying to two courses at LSE. My Personal statement is tailored towards Economic History. I have sent my application off, this week.I'm also applying to Cambridge, UCL and St. Andrews for pure economics.
Original post by Fofo
I'm unsure whether to apply for government at LSE.. my AS grades weren't great :s AABBD (arabic, sociology, gov&politics, english lit and french) although I am predicted A*AA and i'm doing the EPQ this year.. my gcse results aren't outstanding either. A*A*A*AAAABBCC.

Would you advice me to go for it? I'm aware I will be competing with students with a string of A* at gcse's and this put me off..

As a student, I'm not really in the best position to say 'do this' or 'don't do that'. I would say, however, that one should be optimistic of an offer with those grades, a decent PS and a glowing reference :smile:
A few people have asked me but I could tell they were only doing it in a competitive way, and made sure they told me their results if they'd done better than me.

haha, I didn't do that did I? cringe if I did
Reply 99
Applied for Management 3 weeks ago already :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending