The Student Room Group

Things you wish you had know to bring to Uni

Scroll to see replies

A garlic crusher.
Blue tack, a bin, extension leads, cookbooks, an academic year diary, pyrex, a tin opener that cost more than 90p and (according to my dad), a fish scaler.

^ Some of those I managed, but a lot of people didn't. I still haven't managed a clothes airer, but other people have :sigh: so all my stuff dries on the bannister on the landing :awesome:
A duvet (having said that, I did know there wasn't one in my room, we just forgot to pack mine).
Fancy dress stuff - you need a range of things to fit in with different themes!
More cups and plates for when there's groups of people coming over
Original post by boba
my water at home comes from the northumbria water bored and its lovely but my family live near hull and they have awful water,like its not even clear unless they filter it and it tastes horrid

This is what our water in Dundee is like, I thought there was something wrong with it at first as I'm used to the water in southern Scotland (which is perfectly clear) but nope, that's just the way it is :s-smilie:
Reply 64
There is already an exhaustive list of ANYTHING you could possibly need for uni on this site:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/What_To_Take_To_University

Used that before coming... to be honest, didn't find I needed ALL of it, but I did find I didn't need much when I got here!
Reply 65
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Reminds me of when I was in halls in Leeds, one of my flatmates needed the toilet urgently and there was no bog roll, the supermarket was only 2 minutes down the road, but rather than go there and get some, he went to the bus stop, got a bus to university, went to the toilets there and then got the bus home. He probably spent the same on bus fares as the toilet roll would have cost him!

He should've did his business, then walk off to Tesco with the following...

Buy the bog roll, then wipe his ass.
Reply 66
Tub of vaseline and keelnex, my skin tissues really dehydrate during winter so it was a nightmare for a few days untill I bought it. I also hate watering flowers regularly so I prefer making them out of tissue paper, I knew something wasn't right untill I got that sorted.
Reply 67
Original post by Alofleicester
Nose-clips, so when you get fed up of your kitchen being a tip, you can clean up without the smell making you feel ill.

I didn't and have used a makeshift replacement (Scarf tied round face covering mouth and nose) ever since.

srs?

What uni and halls?

That just sounds atrocious.

I feel for you bro.
Reply 68
Kitchen utensils. You remember forks and spoons etc easily enough, but there's always something that you forget that's actually really important. For example- tin opener, pizza cutter, ladle etc!

Can't believe the amount of people saying toilet roll! Our halls provide all that stuff... toilet roll, binbags, bed clothes (although I don't use them- I couldn't sleep with sheets etc that have been used by countless other people, even if they are washed every 2 weeks for you!)
Original post by tehforum

srs?

What uni and halls?

That just sounds atrocious.

I feel for you bro.

Bradford, The Green.

Nowt wrong with the actual accommodation - it's the people I'm living with, stacking dirty pots up in the sink, letting the bins over-flow, leaving bits of food lying around on the floor & one of them has started to hide dirty pots under the sofas.

It's all clean now, but I don't expect that to still be the case come this time next week.
Reply 70
if i could take absolutely anything it would be my puppy. however i cant for health and safety and cleanliness issues.
gunna miss him though.
Reply 71
Original post by Alofleicester
Bradford, The Green.

Nowt wrong with the actual accommodation - it's the people I'm living with, stacking dirty pots up in the sink, letting the bins over-flow, leaving bits of food lying around on the floor & one of them has started to hide dirty pots under the sofas.

It's all clean now, but I don't expect that to still be the case come this time next week.

Have you tried talking to them?

Or any other action?
Original post by tehforum
Have you tried talking to them?

Or any other action?

I've had a couple of occasions where I've told them to clean up - it resulted in them building a fort out of our furniture instead.

I talked to them yesterday, told them I'd had enough of them turning the place into a s**t-hole, they cleaned up last night but we'll see how it goes from here, whether they're gonna start keeping the place clean or not.

If they aren't then I've had words with them about it 3 times, once more and I'll be talking to the accommodation staff.
Original post by boba
the water in most places is disgusting I think yorkshire to the most southern parts of scotland are the only places where its acceptable

I guess it's just what you get used to though.. I'm from Kent and I don't mind the water here...
Reply 74
Original post by littleone271
I guess it's just what you get used to though.. I'm from Kent and I don't mind the water here...

yes obviously I mean thats how it seems to me other people will be used to different water :smile:
Original post by boba
yes obviously I mean thats how it seems to me other people will be used to different water :smile:

Yeah.. it would be interesting to see how much it actually differs if you had cups of tap water from all over the UK to compare. I've never been up North before..

Also, I've drunk tap water in countries you're not meant to and it didn't seem to affect me lol probably because I very rarely drink water anyway so it's not like my body is used to any particular tap water in the first place...
Reply 76
Original post by littleone271
Yeah.. it would be interesting to see how much it actually differs if you had cups of tap water from all over the UK to compare. I've never been up North before..

Also, I've drunk tap water in countries you're not meant to and it didn't seem to affect me lol probably because I very rarely drink water anyway so it's not like my body is used to any particular tap water in the first place...

the different water is really noticeable for me but not just the taste when I go away and shower or bath in different parts of the country I get a sort of rash, when I first came uni it happened but then I must of got used to the water here then it happened again after Christmas.
Also a puerly mental thing I saw the limescale that built up in the kettle (we don't get limescale where I'm from) and now everytime I go to drink the water I think about that and it just seems dirty, even though logically I know that its not.
Reply 77
more boxers/socks

lol
I am bumping this, it's interesting
Interesting thread :smile:

How much money should a student bring to uni? Need to know because I am saving up...

Quick Reply