The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Linweth
Welcome! I'm trying to learn Japanese too... any tips for starting out? :colondollar:

Learn all the kana (hiragana and katakana) many people try and skip this step and just learn using the roman alphabet... but the kana helps with pronunciation and if you go to Japan it is essential :biggrin:

Also don`t worry about kanji straight away, you can ease yourself into that when you have basic grammar and vocabulary under your belt ^^
Reply 41
Original post by Kim-x
Of course not. All uni students welcome.

Your 2nd semester starts late. A lot of unis seemed to start last week or the week before.

Thank you :biggrin:
2nd semester starts tomorrow ^^ Just finished the exam period for semester 1, hope I did ok :redface:
Reply 42
Being a good student for once and writing an optional essay :biggrin: have had two weeks to write it and just starting it now, when it is due in at 11pm tonight, so maybe not such a good student lol
Reply 43
Original post by IBzombie
Learn all the kana (hiragana and katakana) many people try and skip this step and just learn using the roman alphabet... but the kana helps with pronunciation and if you go to Japan it is essential :biggrin:

Also don`t worry about kanji straight away, you can ease yourself into that when you have basic grammar and vocabulary under your belt ^^

Thank you! Are you enjoying your course? What is it like to live in Japan? Sorry for all the questions :tongue:
Reply 44
Original post by Linweth
Thank you! Are you enjoying your course? What is it like to live in Japan? Sorry for all the questions :tongue:

My course is good :biggrin: really enjoying it,
I lived in Japan for six months last year and it was amazing, I stayed mainly in Fukuoka and Sapporo and they are great cities. I would definitely recommend either of them highly, especially for anyone who is intimidated by the sheer size of Tokyo.

just realised I need to update my current location XD
Reply 45
Original post by FinalMH
:frown: Don't you just hate it when you start programming in the morning and then just look at the clock and think? WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT? :'(

I wish I had that problem! Productive day?

My Saturday evening in the computer labs went well...I finally got part of my project working I've been trying to do since Christmas. Now...on to the next step!

I have 4 deadlines in this coming week, don't plan on starting any of them until tomorrow though. My project for the year is getting towards a whole new level of desperate...it's no longer the **** hit the fan...more the sewage tanker hit the wind turbine..

:s-smilie:
Nothing is going to happen today, been trying to get out of bed since 11. Slightly hanging.
Best thing I'll do today is some cleaning and sorting the birthday cake for my housemates birthday tomorrow.
Suddenly felt productive... those job applicaitons are going to be finished and in today. I have a committee meeting at 6 and choir at 7 so that's my motivation.
Bye bye old thread :frown:

Had a very good week last week

- Had an IS meeting with supervisor
- Got approved my species for Wildlife conservation module
- Got pathogens approved for pathogenics module

Today got to finish in my vocational report
- Results
- Discussion
- Conclusion
- Any other changes

- Must finish introduction with my tutor on Wednesday and should have it sent to my supervisor to check its ok for her with the research done.

Hopefully by the end of this week I will have my courseworks planned out luckily they aren't in til March but got my IS to finish within 3 weeks :biggrin:

First though I must catch up on EarthFlight :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
So, we have Inter Semester break at my Uni, so Semester 2 doesn't start until next week. Which is good in some ways, but kinda wish to just get on with it. Most people I know are away on holiday, so going to spend some of the week but need to spend some of it going through work for next semester.

I need to complete all the reading for the 1st week back, and need to go through one of my units that seems really difficult. All the stuff is up so want to look through it all :/
Also need to sort out my units as I only have like 4 instead of 5 atm!

Need to work hard this Sem, not looking forward to exam results :frown:
My sleeping pattern is still screwed from yesterday. Anyway I need to summarise the other 3 articles from the American History textbook that I was supposed to be doing, that shouldn't take too long though. Then get back to the damned Fukuyama articles that I've been neglecting- need to have a plan to show my tutor on Tuesday, then a week to type the report up.
I was in the top ten. :colonhash:

Day two of my weekend off: majorly hanging.
Original post by Crazy Paving
I was in the top ten. :colonhash:

Day two of my weekend off: majorly hanging.

You and me both then? Just managed to get ut of bed and get dressed :lol:

Cleaning time!
Original post by Loz17

Original post by Loz17
You and me both then? Just managed to get ut of bed and get dressed :lol:

Cleaning time!

I've just beeing sitting in bed with the laptop for a couple of hours. :colondollar:
Bought stationery - a nice book for my new to do list strategy, post its, lined paper, book ends etc. And one of those teapot/cup/saucer things from a charity shop. It is adorable. Not at all related to work but... In fact, it encourages procrastination, stating 'Everything stops for tea'. :colondollar:
I don't recall posting as much as that :lolwut:

Oh well :colondollar:

There is an audition tomorrow for a play but I'm too shy to go. :cry2: I would love to try ... but something's stopping me :sigh:
Original post by Aemiliana
Bought stationery - a nice book for my new to do list strategy, post its, lined paper, book ends etc. And one of those teapot/cup/saucer things from a charity shop. It is adorable. Not at all related to work but... In fact, it encourages procrastination, stating 'Everything stops for tea'. :colondollar:

LOL

I got my mum a mug once that says "Where there's tea, there's hope" :lolwut:

My one encourages work though as it says "Drink up and work on" :pierre:
Reply 57
Original post by `Chris
I wish I had that problem! Productive day?

My Saturday evening in the computer labs went well...I finally got part of my project working I've been trying to do since Christmas. Now...on to the next step!

I have 4 deadlines in this coming week, don't plan on starting any of them until tomorrow though. My project for the year is getting towards a whole new level of desperate...it's no longer the **** hit the fan...more the sewage tanker hit the wind turbine..

:s-smilie:

Yeah i nearly finished my coursework :biggrin: , however i don't just have my coursework to do :frown: so.... btw are you in second year or third year?
Reply 58
New thread....Brilliant. Lectures starting again from tomorrow, not so brilliant. In from 9-5, love it.
Reply 59
Original post by FinalMH
Yeah i nearly finished my coursework :biggrin: , however i don't just have my coursework to do :frown: so.... btw are you in second year or third year?

Good work! I'm second year, but I have an individual project to do every year for the next three. :frown: This one's whipping my arse a little unfortunately...

Gave up about an hour ago, and went to feed some ducks. Suddenly life doesn't seem so bad! :tongue:

Latest