The Student Room Group

Is there such a thing as a solicitor and barrister in USA and Australia?

Here in the UK, as many of you know, we have two different 'types' of lawyers - a solicitor and a barrister. So I was just wondering, is this the same for the US and Australia (I'm thinking of studying for a J.D in one of the two countries)?
Reply 1
I believe Australia makes the distinction between solicitors and barristers, whereas in the U.S. they just have attorneys.
Reply 2
Australia- Yes. US- No.
Reply 3
And Australia don't have a JD. Their legal system is very similar to our own down the wigs and gowns :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Bea492
And Australia don't have a JD. Their legal system is very similar to our own down the wigs and gowns :smile:

researching online, i've found that australian unis do offer JD programs. Does this mean that i need a JD before practising law in the country?
Reply 5
Original post by Alleykat606
researching online, i've found that australian unis do offer JD programs. Does this mean that i need a JD before practising law in the country?

Oh right I'm possibly wrong then. I lived there for a little while and though they did the LLB. I'm not sure you'd need to check it out but you'd definitely need to study over there at some point to practice there.
Reply 6
Original post by Alleykat606

No, you don't need a JD to practice in Australia.

You need a law degree (or a Diploma in Law after a non-law degree) plus a programme of practical training. In that respect it is similar to E&W.

http://www.lpab.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lpab/legalprofession_req_admssn_lawyer.html,c=y

Quick Reply

Latest