The Student Room Group

Renault Clio 2.0 16V Renaultsport 172

Hi, I am kind of a noob when it comes to cars so I was wondering whether this Renault Clio 2.0 16V Renaultsport 172 is the right car for me.

It says that the mileage is 100500 and the registration is 2003.

Below are some Pics.

Any help much appreciated.

AETV48768485_1_400.jpg

AETV48768485_2_400.jpg

AETV48768485_3_400.jpg

AETV48768485_4_400.jpg

AETV48768485_5_400.jpg

AETV48768485_7_400.jpg

Scroll to see replies

its the wrong car for you
Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
its the wrong car for you

aaaw thats awful, on what basis?
Too many miles for a small car. The wheels will have ruined the ride, you would want the originals included. The stupid exhaust suggests boy racer, so it's probably had the **** ragged out of it for 100k.

Look for a better example, it's worth paying more for. Focus on lower miles and all original kit.
Original post by rogger_frogger
Too many miles for a small car. The wheels will have ruined the ride, you would want the originals included. The stupid exhaust suggests boy racer, so it's probably had the **** ragged out of it for 100k.

Look for a better example, it's worth paying more for. Focus on lower miles and all original kit.

Thanks for your reply. How will the mileage affect the car? or why is it important for the mileage to be low?

Thanks
Original post by JamesNeedHelp2
Thanks for your reply. How will the mileage affect the car? or why is it important for the mileage to be low?

Thanks

100k plus is not an issue for a big car such as a bmw 3 series etc because they are designed to cruise for long distances. But this is a small car more meant for city work and relatively short journeys. It is therefore fair to assume that this is what is has been used for, however city work is a lot more intense on the car than motorway driving. So high mileage on a small car is going to cause more wear and tear than you might expect on a larger vehicle, especially as it looks to have been owned by a boy racer so rapid turning, acceleration, braking etc.

This all means it will start costing you money quickly, and as its a sport model with a tuned engine repairs and parts will be costly. If it has full service history, preferably at a Renault garage, you could possibly start to overlook the milage but I highly doubt it will have.

For this type of vehicle I would say up to 70k miles is acceptable, but make sure that major work at this sort of milage has been done e.g. timing belt etc.
Reply 6
Okay, first thing, if you're a young drive, or have no experience, insurance is going to kill you. Even if you're just going to be a named driver on your parents insurance, insurance is going to be massive. I've got two years no claims bonus, and pass plus, my Dad has 10 years no claims, and as a named drive on my his Fiesta ST (a lower insurance group than that Clio), I was quoted between £2,500 and £3,000. Also, it has after-market wheels and exhaust, which would also raise insurance, and as mentioned, probably suggests a boy race :/ However just from the pics you've posted it looks pretty sound, but get a mechanic friend/someone who knows about cars to look over it.
Finally, even though it's got over 100,000 miles, it's 9 years old, so that's only about 11,000 miles per year, which isn't too bad (just for reference, when I was younger, my Dad was doing about 10,000 a year just going shopping, taking me to sports etc).
100k plus is not an issue for a big car such as a bmw 3 series etc because they are designed to cruise for long distances. But this is a small car more meant for city work and relatively short journeys. It is therefore fair to assume that this is what is has been used for, however city work is a lot more intense on the car than motorway driving. So high mileage on a small car is going to cause more wear and tear than you might expect on a larger vehicle, especially as it looks to have been owned by a boy racer so rapid turning, acceleration, braking etc.

This all means it will start costing you money quickly, and as its a sport model with a tuned engine repairs and parts will be costly. If it has full service history, preferably at a Renault garage, you could possibly start to overlook the milage but I highly doubt it will have.

For this type of vehicle I would say up to 70k miles is acceptable, but make sure that major work at this sort of milage has been done e.g. timing belt etc.

Ignore this guy, the tripe about high miles is nothing.

The engine will be fine on high miles, most modern day engines will make it to 200k, no questions asked.

It's not meant for "city work" at all, it's meant for hooning around the country.

I'd personally go for it, miles means nothing, a 5k car can have more damage than a 150k car, it all depends on driver!

Just go over it with a fine tooth comb, check under bonnet (Coolant espically, look for a mayo substance), bump each corner with you body to check suspension, listen for blowing exhausts, any whines coming from gearbox, check tyres (these'll indicate suspesnion issues as well), brake pads and discs (Again will give the game up, if it's been ragged, you can tell).

Check owners club forum as well, to look for common issues.
Reply 9

What are you on about?

The engine in the 172 Clio is a 2.0 litre which is a fairly sizable engine. Bigger than some BMW engines!

A small car does not mean it can't do high milage - as you have purely based this on the assumption that all small cars have small engines.

Anyway - OP, the car looks horrendous. The exhaust looks horrific as do the wheels which put the car on stilts - obviously having to do this to home the calipers that the owner has on the car. The milage is also on the high side - you should look for something a bit younger unless you get this car for an absolute steal.

I just wouldn't touch it.
Reply 10
get a citreon C2 - small, good on petrol, easy to get parts for as there used in rallying. so you would be able to get the wide weel arches and all that!
Reply 11
So how on earth is anyone going to work out if it's "the right car for you" if you've not stated what your requirements are?
Reply 12
You say you're a noob with cars, yet you're looking at a car that it usually associated with (younger) petrolheads. Just to check, you do realise that the car you posted is the sports version of the Clio, and as such will be more expensive to run, and crazy to insure if you're <21 and don't have a good number of no claims years behind you.
Reply 13
OP is 16 no point in even carrying on with this thread.
Reply 14
Original post by Camoxide
OP is 16 no point in even carrying on with this thread.

I bought my first car on my 16th birthady...
Reply 15
Original post by JC.
I bought my first car on my 16th birthady...

Was it a modern 2L sports version though?
Reply 16
Original post by Dan1909
Was it a modern 2L sports version though?

It was a '77 Triumph Spitfire 1500 convertible.

Looked like this near as makes no difference...

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by JC.
It was a '77 Triumph Spitfire 1500 convertible.

Yeah, slightly (very) different from trying to get a 17 year old insured on a RS Clio!
Reply 18
Original post by Dan1909
Yeah, slightly (very) different from trying to get a 17 year old insured on a RS Clio!

I think anyone that buys a hatchback needs their head looking at. Far better cars out there for the same money to buy and much cheaper in terms of running costs.
Reply 19
Original post by JC.
I think anyone that buys a hatchback needs their head looking at. Far better cars out there for the same money to buy and much cheaper in terms of running costs.

Well, thankfully not everyone has your sense of taste. You may like old cars, but there's a lot of people (the vast majority) who don't.

Pretty ignorant thing to say really.

Quick Reply

Latest