The Student Room Group

Am I screwed for A-levels

In my whole life I have never got an A* or A in the core subjects i.e. maths, science and english and I have a feeling that I won't get the best grades, my plan is to do dentistry but everyone gets like 8A* in GCSEs it makes me feel like I have no chance, I want to be unique from the crowd so I'm going to do French in A-levels but I feel like I have no chance.
Can you help a clueless yr 11 out?
Original post by lil-mazie
In my whole life I have never got an A* or A in the core subjects i.e. maths, science and english and I have a feeling that I won't get the best grades, my plan is to do dentistry but everyone gets like 8A* in GCSEs it makes me feel like I have no chance, I want to be unique from the crowd so I'm going to do French in A-levels but I feel like I have no chance.

You could always turn it around when you start your A-levels,
As long as you try your best, you will get there xd
Original post by lil-mazie

My GCSE's were..... 1 A*, 2 A's, 3 B's, 2 C's

So they are ok but nothing special (and compared to the majority of people on TSR, they are bad).

My A Levels.... A,A,A

So basically, what I am trying to say is anything is possible if you put the work in.
Reply 3
No, you are not screwed, seriously any idiot can do A-levels, my school only asks for 6 A-C passes.
I'm a Year 11 student too so I don't know but there are so many stories of people who haven't got "amazing" GCSE results but incredible A Level result because they've narrowed their subjects down to the ones that they know they can do well in and will work hard in.

Plus, I think Unis mainly look at A Levels anyways...
:smile:
Do not take French to "Stand out from the crowd", I know the feeling when there are so many people better than you...but you just have to deal with the fact that we may not have as much intellect as them. The only way we can substitute intellect is with hard work.

Seriously, it's very easy if you get an A if you study NOW. It doesn't matter if you didn't do it before, and don't think 1 month is enough. 1 month is enough to get you a B or a C, but if you truly want to "stand out" and beat everyone else, attempt to revise past papers and do everything now.

Edit: And no, you are not screwed for the A levels don't worry.
Reply 6
French to do dentistry? Don't just do it to stand out :P A levels will be fine :smile:
Reply 7
I'm in year 11 like you and I think it's a worry that goes on in my mind too but the advice I have gotten off a lot of people who've done A levels or are, is that if you study the notes you've written for all your subjects, each day..meaning say you did pyschology and wrote your notes for that day, when you have a study period or go home, go through them so you won't forget and it will make revision easier for you for when your exams are about to kick in..and I'm going to also start revising for A levels a few months, like 6 months probably, before the exams. I think I'll just consider them as GCSE History, the earlier you revise, the better grade you can get (which is why I got an A in unit 1).

A levels are tricker but they are not impossible so long as you do the above, I think. I guess when it comes September I'll see if they work, which they will hopefully :smile:
Reply 8
no its not really to 'stand out', i actually really like the language
Original post by Add!ction
No, you are not screwed, seriously any idiot can do A-levels, my school only asks for 6 A-C passes.

4 A-Cs (English and Maths at C grade) for my school; we had to lower it for the prospective, 'not-so-bright' year 11s :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest