The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cha4zz
Oh I expected it anyway so i'm not anywhere near as bothered as I was when I found out I was unsuccessful for HOP. It's frustrating to be close, but it appears this years CD pass score is much lower than the previous 2 years.

I've been offered a graduate job, so will probably accept that and then see how I get on with it before deciding whether to reapply next year. Must admit that the thought of that competency questionnaire and e-tray doesn't really fill me with hope.

I know what you mean! I wish we could just go staight to FSAC. If anything, I feel like the stages before are MORE unpredictable. Do you think your grad job will let you leave after just a year? I have some more assessment centres for grad schemes, but I'm really unwilling to take one on only to (maybe) want to leave after just a year!
Original post by cha4zz
Commiserations, that's really harsh to get so close. How are you finding the report, i'm finding that my stronger points are areas that I thought I was terrible in?

Same here! I thought I'd done terribly in the Policy Recommendation, but apparently I didn't. The thing I did worst in was that stupid E-tray written bit - I'd kinda forgotten that was even part of this mark... Oh well, that'll teach me to pay attention from early on! :tongue:
Reply 2282
Original post by tea and cakes
Same here! I thought I'd done terribly in the Policy Recommendation, but apparently I didn't. The thing I did worst in was that stupid E-tray written bit - I'd kinda forgotten that was even part of this mark... Oh well, that'll teach me to pay attention from early on! :tongue:

Haha exactly the same as me. The e-tray was my worst part, and when you're so close (especially yourself) it makes you think if only... Still, have to take the positives from the report and move on.
Original post by obamtl
Do you know anyone who's done the FSB before? I've tried to reach out to one or two people but it appears many of the old-timers working in the Fast Stream are no longer active on TSR, such as TiBFSer.

How can one really prepare for the FSB?

I asked Parity for more information on how things are assessed at the FSB and was told it was based on our knowledge of Technology in Business :wink: The assessors do have a copy of our FSAC report though, but I'm not sure what role it plays in the process
Reply 2284
Original post by obamtl
I remember you from a few years ago. I hope you get through the FSB. You must be over the moon right now. I remember when the FSB invite came in. I couldn't stop thinking about it for days. Heck, it's been maybe a month now, and I still can't stop thinking about it.

Oddly enough not so much now strange as it may seem. I was really pumped up about it last week, but having seem my solicitor today and her basically advising me not to earn any money until my divorced is finished with (finally filing the papers today, so am probably looking at 15-24 months) its put me in a very odd position.

I'd really really like to do the job, but not at the risk of losing custody of my children, simple as that really... :unsure:

Original post by obamtl

Do you know anyone who's done the FSB before? I've tried to reach out to one or two people but it appears many of the old-timers working in the Fast Stream are no longer active on TSR, such as TiBFSer.

How can one really prepare for the FSB?

No I don't unfortunately, but it transpires that my brother does a similar job in the private sector, but I'm sure his involves far more travelling to NY, SF, and all sorts of 'party' technology conferences than anything in the TiB ever would. So I'm hoping to grill him a little to see what I can find out...

I'm sure he'll be able to impart a load of meaningless key tech words and phrases to me that make you sound like you know what you're talking about regardless of whether you do or not.

Saying that I also know a fair few people that work in IT and IT project management generally for banks, etc... They might be able to impart some jargon...
Reply 2285
Original post by richardp2020
I asked Parity for more information on how things are assessed at the FSB and was told it was based on our knowledge of Technology in Business :wink: The assessors do have a copy of our FSAC report though, but I'm not sure what role it plays in the process

Its important, there job done, when do I start? :wink:
Reply 2286
Original post by cha4zz
Haha exactly the same as me. The e-tray was my worst part, and when you're so close (especially yourself) it makes you think if only... Still, have to take the positives from the report and move on.

Mine was utter pants this time round, compared to the feedback I got for my 2008 one I don't think they were impressed at all...
Reply 2287
Original post by comeluckyapril
I know what you mean! I wish we could just go staight to FSAC. If anything, I feel like the stages before are MORE unpredictable....

A case in point. I've applied I think every year since 2005, with I think one exception. 2007 (for the 2008 scheme) was the first time I passed both the online selection stage and the e-tray, but obviously fell at the FSAC. Every other time I've applied I have got through to the E-tray, but failed to get to FSAC, that must be four e-trays in total with a 50% success rate...
Reply 2288
FSB invitation just literally came through for the 24th. Just need to check childcare arrangements...
Original post by Stomm
A case in point. I've applied I think every year since 2005, with I think one exception. 2007 (for the 2008 scheme) was the first time I passed both the online selection stage and the e-tray, but obviously fell at the FSAC. Every other time I've applied I have got through to the E-tray, but failed to get to FSAC, that must be four e-trays in total with a 50% success rate...

Christ! Not rating my chances of getting this far through again then! Kudos to you for persevering though.

Not sure I could take applying more than two or three times...until I found out I was unsuccessful I hadn't realised how much time I'd wasted since I applied just thinking/worrying/preparing for everything. And now it's all to know that I could slip up easily on the competency questionnaire (seriously I just rated myself 4/5 for everything last time, I still have no idea what they were actually looking for) or the e-tray again next year :frown:
Reply 2290
And promptly managed to get it changed to the 23rd in the afternoon. That makes childcare a little easier as I just have to sort outt someone to pick them up after school...
Out with 16.49, but, oddly, got a generally very positive feedback report! Overall there seem to be only a few small things I could have done better. Although, I was not at all surprised to learn that the one area that did let me down was those self-assessment forms, I hated those at the time!

Commiserations to others who got close, and congratulations to all those who are through!
Oh! Has anyone who's been unsuccessful had any awkward conversations like I have on telling others I didn't get in?

FRIEND: Oh don't worry about it too much. XYZ is on the Fast Stream now and she HATES it.
ME: ...Two weeks ago you told me she was loving it!
FRIEND: Yeah but now you haven't got in I decided to tell you the truth. Hates it, I tell you.
ME: I'm fully planning on applying again next year.
FRIEND: ...

and

FRIEND: You're better off not getting in. I know someone who's pretty high up in the Civil Service and apparently the Fast Stream is just a home for weird people who'd never cope in any other job. It's like they just house them all there to keep them out of the way.
ME: You do know I'm re-applying next year, right?
FRIEND: ...You'll love it. You'll fit in really well. I'm sure they're all absolutely normal!

Though I'm sure none of it is true/people who hate the job are in the minority, it does make me wonder. What if I put off being a grown-up for another year only to find I don't even like it?!
Reply 2293
Original post by JustRollingAlong
Out with 16.49, but, oddly, got a generally very positive feedback report! Overall there seem to be only a few small things I could have done better. Although, I was not at all surprised to learn that the one area that did let me down was those self-assessment forms, I hated those at the time!

Commiserations to others who got close, and congratulations to all those who are through!

What scheme did you apply for?
How do you view your report? I can't seem to find mine
Reply 2295
Is there anybody else out there still awaiting results?
Need advice please, I can't handle waiting until after easter to find out, should I contact them again or will they just fob me off as usual? I emailed this morning and they said results will be out today but its nearly 5 :frown:
Feel stupid contacting them again but then on the other hand I haven't contacted them lots whilst waiting or anything. I called one other time couple of weeks back but I have been waiting since 12th Jan. I'm waiting on HR results, any opinions??
Reply 2296
Christ! Not rating my chances of getting this far through again then! Kudos to you for persevering though.

Well its the only thing I'd be willing to put the kids in the care of someone else for. I haven't been applying for any other grad schemes or even just other jobs during this time. Short of picking up a rifle and repelling some alien invaders from a parallel universe (actually someone ought to point out that alien invasion is our most pressing thread to national security... :wink: ), I can't think of anything that I could do that might be more worthy without having to go back to uni to do a PGCE...

Not sure I could take applying more than two or three times...until I found out I was unsuccessful I hadn't realised how much time I'd wasted since I applied just thinking/worrying/preparing for everything. And now it's all to know that I could slip up easily on the competency questionnaire (seriously I just rated myself 4/5 for everything last time, I still have no idea what they were actually looking for) or the e-tray again next year :frown:

Well if I hadn't been looking after small children during that time period I'm sure that banging my head against a brick wall might have been preferable. But as I have said, well probably not here actually. But basically I don't 'plan' on even working part time until my youngest is almost six, ideally heading towards seven. But I would make an exception for a job where you can make a real difference and be engaging enough for me. That in a nutshell is why I've applied to the Civil Service Faststream year on year for what I think must be six or seven years now, oh and little much else of course...
Reply 2297
Original post by rach2012
Is there anybody else out there still awaiting results?
Need advice please, I can't handle waiting until after easter to find out, should I contact them again or will they just fob me off as usual? I emailed this morning and they said results will be out today but its nearly 5 :frown:
Feel stupid contacting them again but then on the other hand I haven't contacted them lots whilst waiting or anything. I called one other time couple of weeks back but I have been waiting since 12th Jan. I'm waiting on HR results, any opinions??

Calling them is likely to leave you more frustrated, but if you don't then you'll spend all weekend wishing you had...
Right, I'm annoyed.

Got a pass for HoP(!)

THEN got an email saying I was unsuccessful.

...it's like sorry, what?
Reply 2299
Original post by Stomm
Calling them is likely to leave you more frustrated, but if you don't then you'll spend all weekend wishing you had...

Arrrrhhhhh, you were right :frown:
Just called and was told most likely to be next week, as we're still waiting for some to be marked???!!!! I attended 2nd week in January, if they still haven't marked it then thats a disgrace. Bit by bit lost faith in this scheme, its so unprofessional. Surely they realise how important the results are to people!!!

Quick Reply

Latest