The Student Room Group

Thinking of going to University

Hi, As you've most likely gathered from the post topic title, I'm thinking of going to University but I have a couple questions. If anyone can answer any one of my questions, I would be most appreciative.

1) My main interests are art, creative writing, music and biology. Does anyone know of any degrees that cover one or two of those subjects together? (For example, art and biology?)

2) Does going to a well-known university such as St Andrews or Oxford give you a better chance of leaving with a job at the end of the course?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. :smile:
Reply 1
Hi,

Unless you can find a joint degree or make an "open" degree at the Open University, its probably going to be one or the other.

If you are concerned with finding a job at the end of the course I would suggest doing something more traditional like english or biology.

It might be better if you were to think more about what you would actually like to get a job in after university, and then plan what you need to get that job to help you decide what to study. I went to uni wanting to do "art" and although I enjoyed my course, it was a huge eye opener for me in terms of employability for art-type jobs.
I pretty much came out of it knowing I could work my ass off to be a designer, but already felt that it wasn't what I wanted to do. So my advice to you - think more about what job/career you would like to have, and study accordingly. :smile:
Reply 2
Very good advice given by Sondora. In terms of your second question, generally, no it doesn't make much of a difference.
Original post by Owly
Very good advice given by Sondora. In terms of your second question, generally, no it doesn't make much of a difference.

I have to disagree. I think going to a top university puts you in a much better place when seeking employment.

A lot of graduate jobs actually specify that you should have a 'minimum of a 2
:1 classification from a top university'.

If you received a 2:1 from Oxford, against managing a 1st from Leeds; you are more likely to gain employment with the 2:1 from Oxford.

I'm not saying it's right; but it's how it works.
Reply 4
Original post by sweetiepie82
I have to disagree. I think going to a top university puts you in a much better place when seeking employment.

A lot of graduate jobs actually specify that you should have a 'minimum of a 2
:1 classification from a top university'.

If you received a 2:1 from Oxford, against managing a 1st from Leeds; you are more likely to gain employment with the 2:1 from Oxford.

I'm not saying it's right; but it's how it works.

It depends on several things regarding the university, are you going on to do a masters? If so, then the undergrad uni is not as important but the masters uni is. Also what you want to go into after the degree will influence that as well. As above, decide what you want to go into and then look at which unis are best for your course. Top unis will also change depending on the area you choose, so therefore a 2:1 from Oxford would not be better, if another uni is better for a specific area. So it is very important if you are looking to choose based on top unis that you have a very clearly defined path you want to go onto.

More importantly, you will be spending 3 years at a university, so picking the one you are most comfortable at is much more important, as you will perform much better there. I have had friends who have been offered places at Cambridge and turned them down for a 'lesser' uni because they did not like the uni when they visited.
Reply 5
Medical illustrator! (Do they still have those?)

Otherwise maybe look at teaching?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending