The Student Room Group
On campus building at University of South Wales
University of South Wales

Newport University Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MissBlueskys
Hello,
Do you go to Newport Uni? Thanks for the information. I am quite keen on Caerleon accomodation as it is so pretty (and has gym/SU) just a little worried that more people on my course will stay in Opal near the City Campus. I have heard that most students generally go to Cardiff for night life? When I visited Newport we didn't explore much of the town but some streets did look pretty closed down.

I don't go to uni yet, just live near :smile:
I think most would stay at Opal because of how close it is to the City Campus. The area on the opposite side of the river isn't too nice though, but i guess you'll find that in any city.
I think most do go to Cardiff, it's cheap to get there on the bus or train and Cardiff is generally nicer than Newport anyway imo.
On campus building at University of South Wales
University of South Wales
Reply 81
Original post by DeadGirlsDance
If you were going to stay in Caerleon then there's a bus stop near the accommodation that takes you straight to Newport Bus Station, then a 2min walk to the city campus. I think Caerleon would be a nicer place to stay because it's a bit quieter than town centre.

It's not too bad in Newport, there's lots of pubs and clubs in town centre if that's your thing (Meze, 6FU, Escapade, Fire and Ice). Lots of the shops have started to close down in town though due to most people going to Spytty retail park, Cardiff, Cwmbran etc to do their shopping. :h:

Fire and Ice closed down!! But a good student night still includes a trip to a pub (le pub or kama lounge usually), delilahs (chart music) and then meze (rock music) and then a trip to yummies (cheese, chips and beans). Totally agree with everything else you said though!
Reply 82
Is it just me, or does a 1st sept start date for DocFilm and TV sound really early??
Reply 83
Original post by keefy
Is it just me, or does a 1st sept start date for DocFilm and TV sound really early??

Well, considering last year the 1st term for the uni started in the last week of September, yes this does seem rather early. Doesn't sound right to me...
Original post by keefy

After applying for Student Finance it said on my application that we start on the 17th September at Newport
Reply 85
After applying for Student Finance it said on my application that we start on the 17th September at Newport

Did your course say 1st of September on newport.ac.uk/ucas too?? mine did :s-smilie:
Guys I live in the city.. and the uni is quite close to my house. I was actually surprised that this thread regarding Newport appeared. But overall guys it is a nice place to live in. It's very close to the town centre. Leisure centre. plenty of shops. Also close to the bus station where you can go to Cardiff.

Also there is continous improvement going on. Especially at night the walking bridge looks beautiful and the whole area looks lush.
Original post by keefy
Did your course say 1st of September on newport.ac.uk/ucas too?? mine did :s-smilie:

Yeah, it did first of all when I applied. I read one of the Newport thread from people going last year and they said they moved in around the 20th so I didn't really believe the 1st of September date when all my other universities were starting in the middle of the month. More likely to be the 17th. Guess we find out soon when they send out accomodation packs (?)
Original post by Future_Dr
Guys I live in the city.. and the uni is quite close to my house. I was actually surprised that this thread regarding Newport appeared. But overall guys it is a nice place to live in. It's very close to the town centre. Leisure centre. plenty of shops. Also close to the bus station where you can go to Cardiff.

Also there is continous improvement going on. Especially at night the walking bridge looks beautiful and the whole area looks lush.

Is the night life good? Others have said that quite a lot of the town is shutting down, would you agree with that or is it alright?

Have you grown up there or are you going to Newport University? If you don't mind me asking :smile:
Is the night life good? Others have said that quite a lot of the town is shutting down, would you agree with that or is it alright?

Have you grown up there or are you going to Newport University? If you don't mind me asking :smile:

Hi, I have lived here since 2004. Currenly in Year 12. I have enjoyed the new city life here. A lot has changed from years on and a lot will hopefully for the betters as time goes on. To be honest, I think that it's actually going the other way. New shops are opening. They have improved the shopping centre here and also there are new constructions of roads and paths. Which are looking fine and will be done by the time you come here. Night life is fine... nothing much special, like pubs, clubs, etc. I mean you're relatively a road away from the bus station so, just a bus away from a 15 -20 minute journey to Cardiff, which has a lot more to offer like shops etc if your keen.

There are a massive retail park in Newport spyty area. Again. catch bus 10 minutes away from campus. There's also a multicultural society here. With lots of wonderful people. A diverse range of people from different cultures allows many festivals and gatherings to occur. Also there's an infamous carnivals every term, from spring till summer. If you want you can come for a week or days to visit the uni and the place.:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by andmeaning
*cough* is a currently Documentary Film student living in Caerleon who doesn't mind the commute to city campus *cough*

Just out of interest, What's your timetable look like? :smile:
Reply 91
Original post by keefy
Just out of interest, What's your timetable look like? :smile:

It really depends! At the start of this semester it was Monday afternoon, Tuesday afternoon and all day Thursday but we're making a film a week so we ended up shooting all day Wednesday and editing all day Friday (with pickups at the weekends!). Now that the term is winding down and deadlines are approaching, it's all day Tuesday and Thursday morning with optional tutorials throughout the week. Though they 'recommend' eighty million films to watch, which could easily take up an extra day every week.
most the people I know who went for Opal wish they went for Caerleon, it's just so much cheaper (and more fun) (though opal have the best parties)

Hey,

Sorry to ask about this again but just found myself a bit stuck. Was set on going into Caerleon accommodation but after seeing Opal it looks like better quality yet very expensive and Caerleon is near the societies/gym/Su but so far the other people from my course are all going to stay at Opal, so don't want to feel left out of the course group... if that makes sense :smile:

How did you make the decision to go into Caerleon accommodation over Opal?
Reply 93
Hey,

Sorry to ask about this again but just found myself a bit stuck. Was set on going into Caerleon accommodation but after seeing Opal it looks like better quality yet very expensive and Caerleon is near the societies/gym/Su but so far the other people from my course are all going to stay at Opal, so don't want to feel left out of the course group... if that makes sense :smile:

How did you make the decision to go into Caerleon accommodation over Opal?

It was easy for me, because I just couldn't afford Opal! Though before even deciding on a uni, I knew I wanted to stay somewhere on campus so that I'd have access to the SU, gym etc.

Staying on campus has worked out really well for me, because I know so many people, it's nice to be able to pop to the SU or run to the shop to buy milk. And in the current nice weather, there's nothing better than sitting on the grass playing frisbee.

If you really want to go to Opal then totally go for it, but don't worry about not meeting anybody from your course in Caerleon. About half my course lives on Campus and I met most of them during freshers, before we'd even had lectures.
It has been good to read people's thoughts on newport uni and newport itself. I have never been to newport but as its in between cardiff and bristol what more could you want! Ive been offered a place on the community health and well being course. Hopefully going to visit the university on saturday to get a feel for the place. So far im thinking that the caerleon campus would be my choice on where to live and i am hoping that by speaking to some of the current students it will help me make a decision. Will let you guys know how it went :smile:
It was easy for me, because I just couldn't afford Opal! Though before even deciding on a uni, I knew I wanted to stay somewhere on campus so that I'd have access to the SU, gym etc.

Staying on campus has worked out really well for me, because I know so many people, it's nice to be able to pop to the SU or run to the shop to buy milk. And in the current nice weather, there's nothing better than sitting on the grass playing frisbee.

If you really want to go to Opal then totally go for it, but don't worry about not meeting anybody from your course in Caerleon. About half my course lives on Campus and I met most of them during freshers, before we'd even had lectures.

Thanks for the response, this was my exact first feeling towards it. Then I got swayed by talking to other film and video students who all said they were going for Opal. Realistically I can't afford it either, already takes up my whole maintenance loan. How many people are on your course and the film ones generally?

Can I ask if you went for standard or ensuite at caerleon? Sorry if thats nosy

:smile: x
Reply 96
Thanks for the response, this was my exact first feeling towards it. Then I got swayed by talking to other film and video students who all said they were going for Opal. Realistically I can't afford it either, already takes up my whole maintenance loan. How many people are on your course and the film ones generally?

Can I ask if you went for standard or ensuite at caerleon? Sorry if thats nosy

:smile: x

Hey, on my course there are 40 and on film 70. I live in standard. On my floor there are 15 other people, 5 of them are Film and Video and 1 is on DFT, so loads of people living in caerleon.

Standard is so much fun but be prepared for arguments and bickering, it's impossible to avoid when you live with that many other people. But the majority of the time we get along really well. We do things like have big family meals and sit around watching movies, and there's always somebody about. If you prefer to keep yourself to yourself, I'd say go en-suite. If you like to always be around people and for something to always be going on, go standard.
Just finished the application for accommodation for standard at Caerleon :smile: Anyone else chosen there?
Reply 98
Just finished the application for accommodation for standard at Caerleon :smile: Anyone else chosen there?

Will be applying for En-Suite :smile: but I'm in Normandy, Specifically Omaha beach at the moment for the D-Day week, so will be doing it on Sunday when I get home :smile:
Reply 99
Hey, I've just read through a few of these comments on here, just wanted to say I'm at Newport, just finished my first year in Performing Arts (and worked with Film and Video students) lived in Opal for the first year and going back there next year :smile: so if you want to ask me any questions feel free!

Quick Reply

Latest