The Student Room Group

US Presidential Elections

Apologies if there's already a thread about this.

Couldn't find one so I thought I'd make one...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Obama will win it
Reply 3
In terms of UK coverage, shows like Newsnight do have more comprehensive coverage. Having said that, all eyes are on Obama because he's the prez so it's what HE does that's newsworthy.

Don't forget that it's early days now. We've got another half a year till the elections and, more importantly, when there's only really two people running.
President Obama leads Romney in virtually every poll at the moment, but the election is about 6 months away and this year (unlike any other), it'll be interesting to see how the Super-Pacs affect the race.
Original post by Hobo389
No idea if there is another one! I cannot stop following this election (or the French one for that matter!) Going to be interesting, though all the pundits say Obama will win whoever opposes him from the Republicans.

One thing I'd like to put in, Ron Paul has consistently attracked 20,000+ to his little rallying speeches, Romney gets around 5,000 and Obama little more, why does he not get the same press coverage!?

Which pundit is saying Obama will win? :confused:
Reply 6
There was a dedicated thread but it died.
Reply 7
Yeah Obama's going to win, I don't think it'll be easy but Romney is far too weak, as was the Republican field this time around.
Reply 8
Original post by Made in the USA
Which pundit is saying Obama will win? :confused:

Bit of a general statement yes, but as I've been following this:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/election.aspx

It seems the polls have consistently predicted an Obama win for months.
As things stand now, Obama will win. But there's still time yet. Thankfully, Romney won the Republican nomination and not that nutcase Santorum, that's all I'm gonna say! I agree that the media snub of Ron Paul has been disgusting to bear witness to, though.
Reply 10
Original post by Dux_Helvetica
As things stand now, Obama will win. But there's still time yet. Thankfully, Romney won the Republican nomination and not that nutcase Santorum, that's all I'm gonna say! I agree that the media snub of Ron Paul has been disgusting to bear witness to, though.

He never had a chance of winning it so the media did't bother with him.
Original post by Hobo389
Bit of a general statement yes, but as I've been following this:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/election.aspx

It seems the polls have consistently predicted an Obama win for months.

The problem with all these polls are that they are all polls of registered voters. In this country it's not unusual for turnout in an election to be as low as 50% so polls of registered voters are inaccurate. Does anyone really believe that all registered voters will be showing up to vote?

I have only seen two recent polls that tested likely voters. One was by Bloomberg on March 11 and one was by Rasmussen on April 1 and both of those showed a tied race.

Those are the polls that matter.
Reply 12
I think it'll be tight, but Obama will probably edge it. It's far from over though, I'd say that it all depends on the economy - if it keeps improving Obama's safe, but if growth is lower than predicted, and particularly if unemployment doesn't decrease enough, Romney could well steal it. I agree with someone above who said it'll be interesting to see what effect the superpacs will have. So much money....
Reply 13
Campaign ads like this could sink Romney - [video="youtube;nypMSXKgtaA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nypMSXKgtaA[/video]
I think Romney is slightly more likely to get it.
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/18/new-poll-romney-and-obama-are-in-a-tight-contest/

There's still six months until the election so plenty of time for America to have a national emergency that severely damages Obama's chances. Romney just needs to avoid a serious gaffe to be in with a shot.
Reply 15
Anyone seen this? It's pretty amusing.

Original post by Aj12
He never had a chance of winning it so the media did't bother with him.

But is a free and open press not obliged to cover his campaign? It has been direly under-represented.
Original post by Dux_Helvetica
But is a free and open press not obliged to cover his campaign? It has been direly under-represented.

Oh please.

Ron Paul has failed to win a SINGLE state and has delegate numbers in the double-digits; heck he lost to the likes of Gingrich and Santorum in many of his supposedly "strong states" :rolleyes:

I agree at times, when the race first started, his media coverage was light/non-existent, but as the race progressed, he got what he deserved. What else do you expect from someone who quite literally, stood no chance whatsoever of even coming close to winning the Republican nomination. For that outcome, his press coverage was adequate.
Reply 18
All I know is that either Obama or Romney will win it, that much is certain............but aside from the obvious despite fielding a weak candidate I think the Republicans might just snatch it as Obama isn't as popular with Middle America, notorious swing voters, as everyone thinks.
Reply 19
See, from a UK point of view - with my only real information coming from a few short segments on news programmes and the daily show, Obama is the obvious choice.

Having said that, however, the news shows only represent what they think the UK wants to hear and the daily show is, well, just the daily show.

Quick Reply