The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society MKVII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sabertooth
Just wondering. Why not create a separate thread for people with every possible type of depression? And then a new thread for people with every gender, race, sexual orientation, and religion? And we can keep on making more and more threads, until everyone has a thread of their own. That will definitely help address the reason for threads like this.

And btw, if you guys are doing this to replace people you don't like with people you do like, you should just say so up front.

Completely agree with this. This is beyond ridiculous. Can't we just leave things how they are and continue giving each other support? We'd built up a nice little community where new members were always welcome. I don't see why we need to change. If you don't want people with PDs on this thread then say so, because that's what I feel the real issue here is.
Original post by Sabertooth
Just wondering. Why not create a separate thread for people with every possible type of depression? And then a new thread for people with every gender, race, sexual orientation, and religion? And we can keep on making more and more threads, until everyone has a thread of their own. That will definitely help address the reason for threads like this.

And btw, if you guys are doing this to replace people you don't like with people you do like, you should just say so up front.

A fine post! The kind that will soon land you member of the month. :wizard:
Original post by Alofleicester
How much would this database membership be costing?

Doctor said those sweeties weren't the best option when I last went to see him (although admittedly he's not the greatest doctor - a friend went to see him about a finger infection and he gave her a cartoon about colds :laugh:) so I self-medicate with smarties. The sugar and e-numbers make me super happy :nutcase:

Membership is entirely free. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: And comes with no hidden obligations.

Silly doctor. Dr Wolf will make you all better. Don't smarties not have e-numbers any more though? Also, they changed from coming in ultra-cool tubes with collectable alphabet lids to stupid stinky hexagonal boxes with no environment-killing plastic at all. :frown:

I have an awesome collection of food colourings chock-full of e-numbers - in lovely little writing on each of their labels they warn you that they may cause hyperactivity in children. :biggrin:
Original post by superwolf
x

:love: :heart: :love:
I think people are just choosing to argue against the PD/BPD point made by us and ignoring all the other point that were made because its easier to argue against or accuse others of targeting them..
Reply 165
Had the interview today and I got the job. Really happy! ^_^ Doing 12 hours per week starting next Tuesday, should fit around my OU course well.
Original post by headunderwater
:love: :heart: :love:

:lovehug:

Original post by Delain
Had the interview today and I got the job. Really happy! ^_^ Doing 12 hours per week starting next Tuesday, should fit around my OU course well.

Awesome! Hope you'll be happy working there. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by superwolf
Membership is entirely free. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: And comes with no hidden obligations.

Silly doctor. Dr Wolf will make you all better. Don't smarties not have e-numbers any more though? Also, they changed from coming in ultra-cool tubes with collectable alphabet lids to stupid stinky hexagonal boxes with no environment-killing plastic at all. :frown:

I have an awesome collection of food colourings chock-full of e-numbers - in lovely little writing on each of their labels they warn you that they may cause hyperactivity in children. :biggrin:

Interesting :beard:

I'm not sure, I think there are still a couple, but nowhere near as much as there used to be. That is a real disappointment, I loved after eating all the sweeties to open up one end and fire the lid all over the place.

Original post by Delain

Awesome, well done!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Delain

Well done :smile:
Original post by Delain

congrats :smile:
Original post by Delain

Repped. Well done :smile: Pleased for you.
Reply 171
Thanks all, it's nice to get some good news for a change believe me.
Reply 172
Original post by Delain
Thanks all, it's nice to get some good news for a change believe me.

Definitely :hugs: :h:
Reply 173
Original post by Nut.
Definitely :hugs: :h:

:hugs: for you and everybody else.
Oooh new thread! Shiny!

Having a good day for a change, got my appointment through for my assessment and the woman was incredibly nice on the phone when I froze up. I have to talk to my head of year though, I missed a week of college (again) and she's not pleased. Time to 'fess up about the whole mental state, although my doctor is out of town for the next few weeks so I can't give her a doctor's note. Oh well!
Just a thought on the thread debate - perhaps we could have a depression Q&A thread for anyone who wants to ask questions about depression and have them answered, and then a separate depression/MH chat thread for more general discussion? The Q&A thread would mean no-one's questions would get lost in a sea of chat, and that people with more mild depression wouldn't be put off asking questions in a thread where people with more major depression or other disorders were chatting.
Original post by Lewk
Don't you just get fed up when you are outright rejected by 'friends'? Went upstairs where some of my housemates were chatting to return something one of them left in my room and they just completely ignored me and I felt a strong sense that my presence was unwanted. And they were talking about games so it's not like I walked into anything private. I'm suprised cos I have been much more cheery and energetic today :/ normally they are excused since I am usually miserable & lethargic, very undesirable traits in a friend i'm sure.
I wish I could one day be that person who people 'come to' instead of it always being the other way round.

*snap*

i was sitting with a load of people the other day during a free, and all of a sudden, they were organising a trip to disneyland paris in the summer. when they discussed how many people would be going, to book the hotel, they said 7. there was 8 people in that group - the 8th was me :sigh:
Original post by headunderwater
Wow, talk about alienating and adding to the negative stigma for those with personality disorders.

I won't be posting in this thread from now on.

This is how I feel to be honest.

I don't think we should make any changes, it was working well before. But if people have problems with individual members then just come out and say it.

Plus I thought one of the arguments against this becoming a general MH discussion was that it would be too broad. But a thread for "complex" conditions would be too broad too (experiences of someone with BPD is very different from someone with schizophrenia). And even then, a PD thread is still very broad because each PD is very different! Yeah there are some things that are the same, but I would say that the things I post about are more closely linked to depression.

I might not be diagnosed with depression alone, but I think the things that I would post about would be stuff like low mood, mood swings, anxiety, emptiness which a lot of people with depression/mood disorders suffer from too, so I don't see what specific PD stuff I would need to talk about in a specific PD thread?
Reply 178
Original post by bullettheory
But if people have problems with individual members then just come out and say it.

If that was the case, you don't think I would do that?

There isn't anyone I have an issue with, this isn't about who, it's about what.
Original post by bullettheory
This is how I feel to be honest.

I don't think we should make any changes, it was working well before. But if people have problems with individual members then just come out and say it.

Plus I thought one of the arguments against this becoming a general MH discussion was that it would be too broad. But a thread for "complex" conditions would be too broad too (experiences of someone with BPD is very different from someone with schizophrenia). And even then, a PD thread is still very broad because each PD is very different! Yeah there are some things that are the same, but I would say that the things I post about are more closely linked to depression.

I might not be diagnosed with depression alone, but I think the things that I would post about would be stuff like low mood, mood swings, anxiety, emptiness which a lot of people with depression/mood disorders suffer from too, so I don't see what specific PD stuff I would need to talk about in a specific PD thread?

I really don't think it was people's original intention (or at least I bloody hope not :mad:) to alienate anyone when they started talking about possibly renaming the society. I know that on my part at least I don't want to see a single one of you stop posting (unless if it's cos you're completely cured of course :tongue:), and I reckon I can speak on behalf of more or less everybody on here when I say that we're going to clutch onto you and others with our big shiny claws as tightly as possible, and glom onto you until you beg us for mercy. Glom! :h: