The Student Room Group

English Literature GCSE AQA (poetry) May 24th, Higher tier

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sammy95
no this tells us that if any of those three come up, it will only be for higher, not lower. the poems that are mentioned for lower are the "unnamed" poems in higher and vice versa.

higher candidates wont get the falling leaves, the right word or flag as they will only appear on the lower paper.

lower candidates wont get the yellow palm, belfast confetti or next to of course god america i because they only appear on the higher paper.

you can still revise those poems though, and use them as the comparison poem in your essay.

hope this helps :smile:

So I dont have to revise falling leaves, the right word or flag as they will only appear on the lower paper. How did youfind that document?
Original post by skittlesaremydrugs
quick question, do we get marks for writing about context of the poem, I think my teacher said we don't but a lot of the mock answers etc talk a bit about context. I'm doing relationships but I assume its the same for all the clusters

you don't get specific marks for it but it does impress examiners and makes your answer more specific and detailed so it is useful if you get time to add some in.
Reply 42
Original post by Zoes1234
i'm doing unseen. we havent even done any practice!!

In our class we treated each new poem as we went along as an unseen one.. it worked out quite well...
Original post by Mr Bling
anyone else doing conflict poems?? :smile:

Yes i am - great isn't it. So lovely. Urgh
Reply 44
Original post by Caz.123
We were told that ruined maid, brendon Gallacher and give definitely won't be the named poems

yeh that's right, they only come up on foundation :smile:
Reply 45
Doing C&V and my fav would be Ozymandias out of all of them

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 46
Original post by g.k.galloway
yeh that's right, they only come up on foundation :smile:

Really?! If that's so, you have saved me and a few friends from revising them and wasting time (Y)

I'm doing conflict... Haven't annotated all the poems yet... 2 days to go. Have you all got study leave? My school doesn't :frown:
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
So I dont have to revise falling leaves, the right word or flag as they will only appear on the lower paper. How did youfind that document?

Someone told me about that document :smile: And they won't come up in the comparison question (so it won't say, for example, "Compare how conflict is presented in Flag and another proem of your choice") but you can still use it as "the poem of your choice" if you want. If you don't want to then there's no need to revise these poems :smile:
Reply 49
Nettles is the best option as it is mainly centred around a child similarly to born yesterday you could compare it to praise song for my mother because the poet describes the mother's attributes be it good or bad just like born yesterday (honestly stick with nettles it’s easier)
I don't understand. Will Belfast confetti come up or not? I'm doing higher

Reply 51
Original post by Starrstruck
Seeing as you're doing relationships, what poems would you compare to Born Yesterday? I was thinking maybe Nettles because of their protective attitude but what would you recommend??

I'm doing relationships and I'd recommend Nettles too.

What poems d'ya think will come up?

I personally think it'll either be Born yesterday or Ghazal?
Original post by Starrstruck
Seeing as you're doing relationships, what poems would you compare to Born Yesterday? I was thinking maybe Nettles because of their protective attitude but what would you recommend??

I'm doing relationships too! :smile: Just saw your post and thought I'd mention that for a mock question I did, I compared those two. They go well with each other :smile: They are both about father/son relationships but from opposite perspectives, so you can mention how that affects it, if it's relevant.

How are you feeling about the exam?
Heeey peeps :smile:

just quickly made this thread so that we can talk about Thursday's exam

Personally I'm doing Character and Voice, lets try and help eachother!

Good Luck! :biggrin:

I'm doing the same. I got a high A on my mock, so hopefully on the exam can push that up to an A*. Any ideas on which poems they are going to pick? I'm dreading the thought of getting Ozymandias! I hardly know that one, yourself?
Original post by alexandraa
I don't understand. Will Belfast confetti come up or not? I'm doing higher

It is possible it will come up... But you get a choice from two questions to answer anyway so choose the other one if you're not confident on this one. But there is also a possibility of it not coming up.
Reply 55
i am also doing character and voice! i am confused about why it is 36 marks and what it should consist of , also do you know which poems go with eachother?

this may help some : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0R9App30Yo:)
Original post by Dandaman9999
It is possible it will come up... But you get a choice from two questions to answer anyway so choose the other one if you're not confident on this one. But there is also a possibility of it not coming up.

Ah right you see I thought that document showed what came up. Well I did an essay on Belfast confetti and poppies as practice so I thought if Belfast confetti was going to come up I could memorise that essay as I got 30/36 on the practice on :smile: so It looks like I will just have to try and look at them all hahaha

Reply 57
Original post by Sammy95
yes i do have the cgp book, its really useful and my teacher's notes add so much more depth and understanding, im really grateful to have her as a teacher :smile: maybe you didnt structure your essay right, you have to merge the two poems together, not write two separate essays. and you have to talk about structure, form, rhyme, rhythm and language and use Point. Evidence. Explain. for the A/A* answer you need to develop a bit more, use sophisticated language, be precise and to the point (dont waffle), compare directly and give your own opinion on things :smile:

im doing edexcel triple science physics P3 on thursday, and i havent revised. for chemistry i crammed the day before and i feel the exam went well so hopefully it can be the same for physics, my targets an a* i really hope i can achieve it :smile:

I'm so grateful I have my English teacher aswell, she's so much help :smile: I thought i was going to get a C after I came out the hall that's why I was so surprised with the B! I know where I went wrong I did all the analysis of the poems(together) but I didn't give alternative views on what things could mean, which is what gets you into the A/A* band so hopefully it will go well :biggrin:

You would be fine don't worry!! Nothing better than a bit of cramming :wink: I hated physics and no matter what I did it never ended up being an A*! Hopefully you can get the grade.. Are you choosing it for A-levels?
I'm really dreading it! I hate english... today's exam went okay so that probably means for me this one will go badly lol

I found this to be really good, goes into depth quite well ---
http://getrevising.co.uk/files/documents/aqa_gcse_english_literature_poetry_character_and_voice/Char_Voice%2520Poetry_Rev_Resource.pdf

is there anything similar for the relationships cluster? :smile:
Reply 59
My teacher said that the english department in our school thought that yellow palm and next to of course god america i are likely to come up. She also said a good idea is to have about 2 poems that you know really well so can relate it to anything.

Quick Reply

Latest