The Student Room Group

Athletics

Scroll to see replies

Nearly all the truly 'world class' sprinters of today are in fact of West African descent, just that as said there's little tradition of it in West Africa itself.

Andrew Osagie is a MONSTER.
Reply 581
What happened to Craig Pickering?
^true...where's he at?

When's the European Championships again?
Original post by TRS-T
What happened to Craig Pickering?

Think I read somewhere earlier this year that he was having back surgery and he'd be out for the season, his names sort of faded away since dwain's been back on the scene.

It was the US Olympic trials last week amongst the mist of ours, Gatlin won with a PB! 9.80 so he's coming into form at the perfect time, Gaye came a close second with a 9.86. Excellent to say it's his second race in 365 days since the surgery!

It's also the Jamaican trials right now! But can't find a link anywhere :frown:, anyone find one?

Mens 100m semi's are on in about 45 mins if I've got the time difference correct, sooo wonna watch it!
Reply 584
Original post by Glow in the dark
Think I read somewhere earlier this year that he was having back surgery and he'd be out for the season, his names sort of faded away since dwain's been back on the scene.

It was the US Olympic trials last week amongst the mist of ours, Gatlin won with a PB! 9.80 so he's coming into form at the perfect time, Gaye came a close second with a 9.86. Excellent to say it's his second race in 365 days since the surgery!

It's also the Jamaican trials right now! But can't find a link anywhere :frown:, anyone find one?

Mens 100m semi's are on in about 45 mins if I've got the time difference correct, sooo wonna watch it!

I wanted to watch it to, would've been worth getting up for!

BOLT BEATEN BY BLAKE?!

Glad someone has run 9.75 as that time hadn't ever been run before :wink: but I hope this will make Bolt hungrier. He can usually recover from a bad start, but he's now aware that he needs to have his start together if he wants to beat Blake. Will be interesting to see what happens in the 200m.

Its odd, as I don't think I've ever seen anyone challenge Bolt in a 200m race since his breakthrough at the Olympics, but I think Blake could now actually give him a run for his money!

COMPETITION AT LAST!

Anyone wanna predict the medals for the 100m final? :lol:
Original post by erniiee
I wanted to watch it to, would've been worth getting up for!

BOLT BEATEN BY BLAKE?!

Glad someone has run 9.75 as that time hadn't ever been run before :wink: but I hope this will make Bolt hungrier. He can usually recover from a bad start, but he's now aware that he needs to have his start together if he wants to beat Blake. Will be interesting to see what happens in the 200m.

Its odd, as I don't think I've ever seen anyone challenge Bolt in a 200m race since his breakthrough at the Olympics, but I think Blake could now actually give him a run for his money!

COMPETITION AT LAST!

Anyone wanna predict the medals for the 100m final? :lol:

Haha yeah I never thought, Asafa's done a 9.74 for the record a few years back hasn't he. Reckon bolt will sort himself out, I think he's being trying to play the starts safe after what happened last year, if he'd have got a remotely decent start he would have won the race with his superior top end speed. Gonna be awsome though isn't it! How many under have 9.80 now this year / have potential, at least 5 with bolt, blake, gatlin, gay and powell. Jeeeezzz :redface:

But yeah as of now it's all up in the air! Though bolt thrives on the big stage / the showmanship etc.

If I were to pick I'd say:

1st Bolt
2nd Blake
3rd Gatlin
4th Gaye
5th Asafa

Anyone else??

33 days :biggrin:
The interesting thing about the 100m was that Blake continued to pull away from Bolt late on in the race, or at least that's how it looked. Bolt seriously isn't used to that happening to him; he tends to run pretty much anyone down and I think I've only ever seen Gay pull away before.

I'm hoping Asafa's groin heals before August, and assuming he's ready to race, this is my current 100m prediction for London:

1. Bolt
2. Blake
3. Gay
4. Powell
5. Gatlin

Followed probably by Bledman, Lemaitre, Collins.

Cannot wait.
Reply 587
Haha yeah I never thought, Asafa's done a 9.74 for the record a few years back hasn't he. Reckon bolt will sort himself out, I think he's being trying to play the starts safe after what happened last year, if he'd have got a remotely decent start he would have won the race with his superior top end speed. Gonna be awsome though isn't it! How many under have 9.80 now this year / have potential, at least 5 with bolt, blake, gatlin, gay and powell. Jeeeezzz :redface:

But yeah as of now it's all up in the air! Though bolt thrives on the big stage / the showmanship etc.

1st Bolt
2nd Blake
3rd Gatlin
4th Gaye
5th Asafa

Anyone else??

Yea I think the real medal contenders are in that order. I'd switch Gatlin and Gay around though - I think he'll come into form with a few more races!
Reply 588
Original post by Bitethedust
The interesting thing about the 100m was that Blake continued to pull away from Bolt late on in the race, or at least that's how it looked. Bolt seriously isn't used to that happening to him; he tends to run pretty much anyone down and I think I've only ever seen Gay pull away before.

I'm hoping Asafa's groin heals before August, and assuming he's ready to race, this is my current 100m prediction for London:

1. Bolt
2. Blake
3. Gay
4. Powell
5. Gatlin

Followed probably by Bledman, Lemaitre, Collins.

Cannot wait.

Thats true - he does tend to be able to run people down. But not Blake from this race! Blake's start was much better than normal.

I agree with your order, although I fancy Gatlin over Powell as I think he has a competitive edge Powell.
Original post by erniiee
Thats true - he does tend to be able to run people down. But not Blake from this race! Blake's start was much better than normal.

I agree with your order, although I fancy Gatlin over Powell as I think he has a competitive edge Powell.

Yeah that race earlier this year when Gatlin got Powell at the line can't have been good for Powell psychologically. I just feel that Gatlin's run nearly as fast as he's going to run this year already (his 9.80 at trials had a big tailwind), whereas Powell can probably knock another 0.1 off his season's best. Of course actually doing it in the London final is another matter.
Reply 590
Original post by Bitethedust
Yeah that race earlier this year when Gatlin got Powell at the line can't have been good for Powell psychologically. I just feel that Gatlin's run nearly as fast as he's going to run this year already (his 9.80 at trials had a big tailwind), whereas Powell can probably knock another 0.1 off his season's best. Of course actually doing it in the London final is another matter.

That's very true - Powell surely has more in the tank. Lets hope he recovers in time for the Olympics!
So Blake beats Bolt again, this time in the 200m!

Bolt clearly isn't in as good shape as Blake, and their coach has even admitted this. But if Bolt and Blake are both in peak shape come London then the results could be spectacular.

I still don't know whether Blake can repeat his 19.26, but based on running 19.80 from lane 3, into a headwind in only his second 200m of the season, I think he can.

My money's still on Bolt for the 200m, but it'll be interesting to see how he looks in Monaco.
Reply 592
This Charles van Commene guy is an idiot.

Why is he even in charge of our athletics team?

He isn't even British!
Really feel for Phillips Idowu, he hasn't been competing since may, pulling out of meets saying he has a slight twinge, recently pulled out of pre Olympic camp in Portugal this week which triggered the BOA to demand his medical records.

Turns out he has a trapped nerve, in his knee as far as sky sports are saying :frown:. Hope the BOA don't decide to pull him from it or anything, which don't think they will. Really don't think it's fair that they've demanded them / made it all public etc, as it's only going to add more stress to him in my opinion, where as he's just tried to keep it low key then come out and try his best on the day!
Just wondering if there are any sprinters here? If so, could you drop me a PM :smile:
Original post by TRS-T
This Charles van Commene guy is an idiot.

Why is he even in charge of our athletics team?

He isn't even British!

Van Commenee has a proven track record, clearly better than any Briton who applied for the post. If you're not good enough, get better, don't expect favours based on the accident of geography.
Reply 596
Original post by pol pot noodles
Van Commenee has a proven track record, clearly better than any Briton who applied for the post. If you're not good enough, get better, don't expect favours based on the accident of geography.

International sport is based on the whole concept of "the accident of geography."

If he's so good he should become the head coach of Holland.

British team. British people.
Original post by TRS-T
International sport is based on the whole concept of "the accident of geography."

If he's so good he should become the head coach of Holland.

British team. British people.

He's a frickin' coach, not an athlete. He isn't representing the UK so his nationality is frankly irrelevant. And he was the head coach for the Netherlands, but he was so damn good we poached him, and rightly so because British athletics had declined into a pitiful state under David Moorcroft.
Reply 598

1st Bolt
2nd Blake
3rd Gatlin
4th Gaye
5th Asafa

Anyone else??

WELL DONE ON PREDICTING THE TOP 4! :wink:

Who would've thought Bailey, Thompson and Martina would have made the final! Really feel for Gemili, he was so close!

Overall great olympics, so happy Bolt defended all of his titles, and a great last race between Bolt and Bailey in the relay.

Can't wait to see how good the post-olympic performances are in the Diamond league events! I think we could see Blake go 9.6 and hopefully have another wonderful 200m run like Brussels last year!

Performance of the games goes to Rudisha for me - his, and the rest of the field behind him. Great race!

AND sooooo pleased for Mo! I really didn't think he could do the double, but he ran with such experience and class in that 5000 that he certainly deserved it. Great judgement and tactics from him, truly wonderful performance from a GB athlete! I'm sure they must have been celebrating in Somalia too!
Original post by erniiee
WELL DONE ON PREDICTING THE TOP 4! :wink:

Who would've thought Bailey, Thompson and Martina would have made the final! Really feel for Gemili, he was so close!

Overall great olympics, so happy Bolt defended all of his titles, and a great last race between Bolt and Bailey in the relay.

Can't wait to see how good the post-olympic performances are in the Diamond league events! I think we could see Blake go 9.6 and hopefully have another wonderful 200m run like Brussels last year!

Performance of the games goes to Rudisha for me - his, and the rest of the field behind him. Great race!

AND sooooo pleased for Mo! I really didn't think he could do the double, but he ran with such experience and class in that 5000 that he certainly deserved it. Great judgement and tactics from him, truly wonderful performance from a GB athlete! I'm sure they must have been celebrating in Somalia too!

Woahh! completely forgot about that! :cool: I actually thought he'd run 9.63 randomly as well after colin jackson said 9.64. Alright I'll stop gloating now! haha

I know, Gemili will get his time though he's only being training 9 months in athletics so I think he's got his fair share already for the short time he's been in the sport, can't wait to see him hopefully reach his potential.

And mo! How awsome was the 5000m tactically? What a genius, was literally jumping up and down pounding the sofa when he was onto the final 150 haha! What a great moment that was!

And what about the previous saturday did everyone see that? Rutherford, Ennis and Mo grabbing gold? Best night of athletics I've seen ever, so entertaining wish I'd have had it recorded on the sky box, was buzzing!

Quick Reply

Latest