The Student Room Group

Where to revise for NHS numeracy and literacy test!!!?? Help

Hi everyone

I need some help, I applied for a job vacancy with the NHS for “Maternity Support Worker” I was lucky enough to get an interview!!! I am so excited but I have to sit a numeracy and literacy test and I am worried as maths has never been my strong point!

I really want to revise for these tests as I really want this job, does any know or any websites I can go to revise and take practise test, to see how bad I am lol

By the way has anyone sat any of these assessment tests for the NHS?? If so can you tell me where they hard or easy?

Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good book:
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780749451622/
£6.19 incl delivery.
As far as I can remember the entry test for nursing is a mix of level 1 & level 2 numeracy that concentrates on fractions, decimals and % with some metric measures and money calculations.

The BBC Skillswise site would be good for revision.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/numbers/wholenumbers/

For a support worker they may use the national numeracy tests (you could ask someone in personnel). Practice tests here:
http://www.move-on.org.uk/practicetestsResults.asp
Reply 2
hello .happy new year. how did your interview goes?
how was the literacy and numeracy test were they hard or easy tell something.i have my interview soon just be nervous about it.
i hope you gotten the job now.
many thanks.
Reply 3
hi Jitewhyte

Happy new year to you to!!!! My interview went great, I got the job!! YEAH lol The literacy and numeracy test went fine,,, it wasnt that hard to be honest, I hope your intereview goes well i have my fingers crossed for you.
Reply 4
Hi there what did the test entail?
I went for a Hca job today and failed at the first hurdle (numeracy and literacy test). I am very disheartened about this being I have 3 years hospital experience and nvq 2 and 3. I have recently moved to Essex from east Sussex where I currently have work in the hospital down that way, but travelling on the train for 2 and a half hours each way every weekend is getting a bit much. I suppose all I can do is keep applying and trying to get through the test. I'm not good and maths so that was my down fall. When I first got into the nhs they didn't have these tests. Crazy I got all the experience that is required but have this obstacle in the way.
Hi Loulipsylou, sorry to hear that you did not make the test. I have to take the numeracy and literacy test tomorrow cos I had applied to work for the NHS. Did you do the test online through the use of a computer or you hand wrote it?
Reply 7
Hi everyone

I need some help, I applied for a job vacancy with the NHS for "Emergency Care Assistant” I was lucky enough to get an interview!!! I am so excited but I have to sit a numeracy and literacy test and I am worried as maths has never been my strong point!

I really want to revise for these tests as I really want this job, does any know or any websites I can go to revise and take practise test, to see how bad I am lol

By the way has anyone sat any of these assessment tests for the NHS?? If so can you tell me where they hard or easy?

Thanks in advance
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Hi everyone,

I have a interview with NHS for a drug worker and it says I need to do a numeracy and literacy test, my numeracy is not good at all, I'm just brushing up on my skills but wondered if anyone knew if the numeracy test was online and if you are able to use a calculator?

Replies greatly appreciated :-)
Reply 9
hiii there

I have a numeracy test tomorrow and i can get the answers as long as i have a calculator. I have got mixed answers about weather we are allowed to use a calculator or not. could anyone shed some light on this please :smile:
hi I have a numeracy and maths test for the nhs, can someone help and tell me what I have revise on
Original post by soniam
hiii there

I have a numeracy test tomorrow and i can get the answers as long as i have a calculator. I have got mixed answers about weather we are allowed to use a calculator or not. could anyone shed some light on this please :smile:

hi can u tell me what test was about. worried
Reply 12
hi, I have a test on wednesday this week, have you taken your test?
I am a little concerned and wish to practise, have you any suggestions?
regards
Robert
Reply 13
hican anyone please tell me how i get into the test literacy and numeracy please
Reply 14
Hi I have been invited to an assessment day for 'Ambulance care Assistant' in a weeks time.
Application has been quick so far.
I'm really worried about the Maths and English tests...
They know from my application that I didn't gain a Maths GCSE so should I be too worried if I don't pass that part?
I am okay at spelling not great.
I'm more of a practical, fitness person.
Could anyone enlighten me on how the maths test goes? E.g. is it on a computer? what are the questions like?
Any help would be great.

Thank you.
Reply 15
Hi everyone.

I have attended NHS numeracy and literacy test for MLT. It comprises basis paper test with time scale. At the same time, we performed IT test- typing speed test on computer. This seems easy but practice on keyboard skills makes you perform better.

I am about to get an another interview tomorrow for CTA, hope things will go fine. All the best for u guys.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Can anyone who has done the test tell us what kind of questions were asked and give us a brief brake down of what it will look like. Thanks
Reply 17
Hi everyone

I need some help, I applied for a job vacancy with the NHS for “Health car Support Worker” I was lucky enough to get an interview!!! I am so excited but I have to sit a numeracy and literacy test and I am worried as maths has never been my strong point!

Thanks in advance
(edited 9 years ago)
hi
I have done numeracy and literacy test 4 months ago for bank healthcare assistant post and now I applied for another post for mca and my question is do i have to do another numeracy and literacy test next week or maybe my last test is still up to date? anyone know maybe? xxxx
Reply 19
Hi
You have to sit for another test. It happen to me few moths ago I was in the same situation like you, but you will be ok because sometimes it's the same stuff.