The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hmmmm I thought it wasn't a bad paper, I'm not so sure of quite a few answers now. D'oh! lol, ah well - we'll see what happens when the results come out ....
Reply 61
distortedgav
Hmmmm I thought it wasn't a bad paper, I'm not so sure of quite a few answers now. D'oh! lol, ah well - we'll see what happens when the results come out ....

its ok, i just realised i didnt round 6/15 down to 2/5!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrr!! lol
Reply 62
i reckon a 58/75 for an 80 UMS
Wasnt the hardest paper but the probability and normal distribution threw quite a few people off. The writing questions were a pain too
Reply 63
Sharma
i reckon a 58/75 for an 80 UMS
Wasnt the hardest paper but the probability and normal distribution threw quite a few people off. The writing questions were a pain too

Out of interest, how can you guess the mark needed for 80 UMS so accurately?
Reply 64
Chris87
Out of interest, how can you guess the mark needed for 80 UMS so accurately?

58/75 ~ 77%
So, assuming marks will be scaled up, that could well be 80 UMS marks.
Also, if you compare the paper with other years, I think it was reasonable, but I think people will lose a fair number of marks (mainly because of the writing questions). 58/75, or around that seems a sensible guess.
Reply 65
Hmmm I *might* have a chance of an 80 UMS then :biggrin: with a bit of luck :p:
Reply 66
mockel
58/75 ~ 77%
So, assuming marks will be scaled up, that could well be 80 UMS marks.
Also, if you compare the paper with other years, I think it was reasonable, but I think people will lose a fair number of marks (mainly because of the writing questions). 58/75, or around that seems a sensible guess.

The ability of the average candidate may very from year to year though...
Reply 67
Chris87
The ability of the average candidate may very from year to year though...

Obviously it does. But that's about as good as you can do (in terms of making an estimate).
Reply 68
does ny1 have the paper?
Reply 69
I'll probably end up retaking S1 if I lose too many marks on that venn diagram, which I probably will because I think the other questions relied on getting it right. :frown:
Reply 70
Chris87
I'll probably end up retaking S1 if I lose too many marks on that venn diagram, which I probably will because I think the other questions relied on getting it right. :frown:

Wouldn't you get follow-through marks though? :confused:
Reply 71
I did S1 last jan. I have to say it was the worst exam ever! - so boring and tight for time :frown:
Reply 72
distortedgav
Wouldn't you get follow-through marks though? :confused:

Well I hope so. I should get something because I think I used the correct method on the other questions.
Reply 73
Chris87
Well I hope so. I should get something because I think I used the correct method on the other questions.

lets say a,b,c,d were out of 6/2/2/2 i think if we got the venn diagram wrong then we will only lose 2 marks on a, but get the rest right because we knew what we were doing, just with the wrong numbers.

They definitely have to mark you positively if you carried a mistake through, because it shows you knew what you were doing.
Reply 74
faa
lets say a,b,c,d were out of 6/2/2/2 i think if we got the venn diagram wrong then we will only lose 2 marks on a, but get the rest right because we knew what we were doing, just with the wrong numbers.

They definitely have to mark you positively if you carried a mistake through, because it shows you knew what you were doing.

That's good then. :biggrin:

I know I lost at least 7 marks on the normal distribution and if what you are saying is correct, I would have lost 2 marks on the probability question. If overall I got 61/75 (say I lost 5 marks on other questions for mistakes) would that be good enough to get an A on S1?
Reply 75
Chris87
That's good then. :biggrin:

I know I lost at least 7 marks on the normal distribution and if what you are saying is correct, I would have lost 2 marks on the probability question. If overall I got 61/75 (say I lost 5 marks on other questions for mistakes) would that be good enough to get an A on S1?

truthly- i doubt it. But realistically- it doesnt matter. Just retake in the summer, do better on your other modules and if you deserve an A at the end u'll get it!! Atleast you're doing your A Level over two years, im doing Mathematics, Economics, AS Stats and AS Physics in 8 months!!! lol
Reply 76
I'd have thought so. 61/75 is just over 80%, which is probably a high enough mark to get an A on any paper. You've probably got a pretty good chance of getting an A. I can't see the boundary being much higher than 61.
Reply 77
Well even if I do get a little bit below an A on this paper I won't be too disappointed. I think I did really well on P1 anyway so they should average out. My only concern for now is P2 on Wednesday. :frown:

Latest