The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

RHUL Accommodation Guide

I've seen this in a few of the other forums and thought it might be a good idea to have a thread containing lots of information and reviews about RHUL accommodation, and to also have somewhere for people to chat about what they're putting as their first choice for '10 and that sort of thing.

I'll start with a general overview of each set of accommodation (though all this information can be found either on the website, here- RHUL website, or in the undergraduate prospectus).

If anyone here is currently staying in halls at RHUL, or has done so in the recent past, it'd be great if you could review what your stay is/was like and I'll provide links to your reviews in this post. Also, if you have any photos you'd like to share with us, even better!

Useful Links-
RHUL Website
TSR Wiki Article on RHUL
[url= http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=135075413172272&ref=ts]Facebook Group- Tuke Residents 10/11

General Photos-
Photos of ALL the halls, as well as general campus photos (link provided by air7725)- RHUL Campus Life
Photos of Butler, Tuke, Williamson, Gowar, Wedderburn and Runnymede (found by lareneg)- Photos

Butler, Tuke and Williamson

Newest halls.

Flats of eight.

Single only.

En suite.

Self-catered.

For both undergraduates and postgraduates.

Either 30 or 38 week tenancy.

Rates from approx. £4,000 to £5,000, depending on tenancy.

Photos of Butler, Tuke and Williamson (Gowar and Wedderburn have the same interior) (provided by apotoftea)-
Bed and shelves - B, T and W Photos 1
Wardrobe - B, T and W Photos 2
Kitchen - B, T and W Photos 3
Bed, desk and window - B, T and W Photos 4
Bed and wardrobe - B, T and W Photos 5
Exterior and kitchen - B, T and W Photos 6
Videos of Butler, Tuke and Williamson (found by lareneg)-
Video of Tuke interior - B, T and W Video 1

Founder's Hall

Both single and twin rooms.

Shared toilets and bathrooms.

Dining hall, launderette and Crosslands.

Catered-pay-as-you-go.

For undergraduates.

30 week tenancy.

Rates from approx. £2,600 to £3,500 depending on whether you're sharing a room or not.

Gowar and Wedderburn

Opened in 2004.

Flats of eight.

Single rooms only.

En suite.

Self-catered.

38 week tenancy.

Rates approx. £5000.

Photos of Gowar and Wedderburn-
Interior and exterior (found by lareneg)- G and W Photos 1
Videos of Gowar and Wedderburn-
Wedderburn song (found by lareneg)- Video 1

Kingswood
This section applies to both Kingswood 1 and 2.

Located approx. one and a half miles from main campus.

Dining room, TV/common room, 8Bar9 and laundry facilities on site.

Bus service runs to and from campus.

Kingswood 1

Both single and shared rooms.

Shared bathroom facilities.

Accommodation divided into male and female areas.

Catered-pay-as-you-go.

For undergraduates.

38 week tenancy.

Rates approx. £3,000 to £4,000 depending on whether you are sharing a room or not.

Kingswood 2

Flats of eight or nine single rooms.

Mainly mixed sex flats.

En suite.

Catered-pay-as-you-go.

For undergraduates.

38 week tenancy.

Rates approx. £5,000.

Penrose Court

Located on north side of A30.

Mix of houses and flats.

Single rooms, usually four to six to a flat.

Shared bathroom facilities.

Self-catered.

38 week tenancy.

Rates approx. £4,000.

Reid Hall

Nine blocks of about 20 bedrooms per house.

En suite.

Catered-pay-as-you-go.

For undergraduates.

30 week tenancy.

Rates approx. £3,900.

Runnymede 1 and 2

Six or eight single bedrooms to a flat.

En suite.

Common room.

Self-catered.

38 week tenancy.

Rates from approx. £4,500 to £4,700.

Photos of Runnymede 2 (provided by apotoftea)-
Bed, desk and window - Runnymede 2 Photo 1
Door and wardrobe - Runnymede 2 Photo 2
En suite - Runnymede 2 Photo 3
Corridor - Runnymede 2 Photo 4
General photos of room, en suite, kitchen and corridor- Runnymede 2 Photos 5
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh my God I worship you now. I found some pictures on t'internet before, when somebody asked for them last week... here is the thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=23897851&postcount=2
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
lareneg
Oh my God I worship you now. I found some pictures on t'internet before, when somebody asked for them last week... here is the thread:

Accommodation looks really nice!

ARGH! Don't know what to Firm now! Like all 5 of my Unis!
THANK YOU! This thread is perfect. I'm reckon us lot should have a bit of a meetup once we get to Holloway in September :biggrin: (Which we surely will xD)
Reply 4
lareneg

Ah, lovely, thanks. I'll add that link to the original post.

AccioJellyBean

THANK YOU! This thread is perfect. I'm reckon us lot should have a bit of a meetup once we get to Holloway in September (Which we surely will xD)

I'm all for that! Was thinking that we should meet a couple of weeks into term or something, maybe even all go to the pub together! (I've been thinking about this way too much, haha.)
Reply 5
Could probably do with adding this to the wiki entry or at least a link to the thread?
Reply 6
themadone
Could probably do with adding this to the wiki entry or at least a link to the thread?

Cool, good idea, thanks. As most of the information on this page is already in the wiki entry, I'll just put a link in the original post.
Reply 7
llacerta

I'm all for that! Was thinking that we should meet a couple of weeks into term or something, maybe even all go to the pub together! (I've been thinking about this way too much, haha.)

If that's you in your profile pic then Im all up for meeting up with other RHUL applicants!
Reply 8
A meetup sounds good.
llacerta

Don't worry, I've been thinking about it way too much too :P Maybe we could even meet up just BEFORE term starts so that we'll know some people at the start of freshers! Which accommodation are you going for?
Reply 10
AccioJellyBean
Don't worry, I've been thinking about it way too much too :P Maybe we could even meet up just BEFORE term starts so that we'll know some people at the start of freshers! Which accommodation are you going for?

Ooh, that's also a very good idea! How exciting!

I'm thinking about choosing Butler, Tuke and Williamson (30 week let) as my top one. How about you?
llacerta
Ooh, that's also a very good idea! How exciting!

I'm thinking about choosing Butler, Tuke and Williamson (30 week let) as my top one. How about you?

Same here!!
Reply 12
hamzab
If that's you in your profile pic then Im all up for meeting up with other RHUL applicants!

Classy...real classy (there hamzab)
gm15
Classy...real classy (there hamzab)

Mate he was just saying what we were all thinking
is runnymead on campus?
Can anyone confirm whether we have a choice between Williamson, Tuke and Butler when applying for accommodation? xx
Reply 16
Parrotstock: Runnymeade is on campus

Samanthachan03: I'm sure i've said this before but...You do not get any choice between Williamson, Tuke and Butler when applying for accomodation. They are grouped together on the form. The only option you get is WTB sessional or WTB term time rent. Its totally up to the uni which buidling, which blcok of that building, which flat in that block and which room in that flat you get. You do however get to state a preference (which they can ignore) for which floor you would prefer - this preference isn't hall specific.

Also it really doesn't matter which of W,T,B you get put in as your flat will be identical and the same size as will your room.
Thank you, I was a little confused as I read in another thread that you do have a preference...thanks for clearing that up xx
Reply 18
Does anyone have any opinions on the Founder's Hall?
My father thinks I should be in catered accomodation and I'm just wondering what the best catered place is.
Reply 19
erussell
Does anyone have any opinions on the Founder's Hall?
My father thinks I should be in catered accomodation and I'm just wondering what the best catered place is.

Since there only are two catered places, Reid and Founder's, the choice is not difficult to make: apply for Reid Hall. That's what I'm going to do.

HALLS INFORMATION:
http://www.rhul.ac.uk/Registry/sac/sh/halls.html

FEES INFORMATION:
http://www.rhul.ac.uk/Registry/SAC/sh/fees-ug-pg2010.html

I hope that I helped you.

Latest

Trending

Trending