The Student Room Group

Can I get any photo ID without a passport/driving licence?

Ok long story short; I need some photo ID but dont have a provisional driving licence and my passport has expired. I will be applying for a new passport soon but I need more photos and I cant have any new photos until I have my haircut (I have fairly long hair and cant keep it off my face really which means its invalid!?). Without a current passport I cant apply for a provisional licence and I cant apply for any other form of photo ID which is credible i.e. PASS accredited, etc.

Does anyone else have any other ideas? I can last not going clubbing for a while but I just need something to get some cigs or drink from shops. Yes I am 18 but apparently places wont take my expired passport.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
An NUS card? Proof of Age card? I'm sure you can buy those now.
You can get a national ID card, which costs around 30 pounds and you can also use this to travel around Europe instead of a passport.
You can still apply for a driving licence without a current passport. They may accept an out of date one.

Driving lcience is the most common acepted ID in the UK and its worth paying the £50 if you have any plans to drive in the future

--------

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Motoringtransactions/BeforeyouapplyA/DG_068016
Reply 4
Its becoming ridiculous tbh, Student Finance still have my birth certificate. I have no idea when ill be getting that back.

Thanks for the link CL, it seems like the only thing I can use is my birth certificate and my NI card.

Also Beadles About, these ID cards have been phased out this year so I cant get hold of one of those apparently.
You can always pay for another copy of your birth certificate if you want

the other plus side about a driving licence is that it should be acceptable id for other things like a new job etc
Reply 6
Don't you have the other copy of your birth certificate to apply for a driving licence? You should have a short and long version of it.
Beadle's About
You can get a national ID card, which costs around 30 pounds and you can also use this to travel around Europe instead of a passport.

Mine cost £5 I believe.
THRASHx
Its becoming ridiculous tbh, Student Finance still have my birth certificate. I have no idea when ill be getting that back.

Thanks for the link CL, it seems like the only thing I can use is my birth certificate and my NI card.

Also Beadles About, these ID cards have been phased out this year so I cant get hold of one of those apparently.

Lmao, good luck with SFE and your birth certificate!
Reply 9
I always use my bank/debit card (or whatever) for ID, it has my birth date and my photo.
Reply 10
Clubber Lang
You can always pay for another copy of your birth certificate if you want

the other plus side about a driving licence is that it should be acceptable id for other things like a new job etc

Yeah thats what im thinking, it will definitely come in handy again at some point. But then again ill need a new passport too at some point! Regardless, ive paid for my drivers licence so I just need my BC to come back within the next 3 weeks!

dhr90
Don't you have the other copy of your birth certificate to apply for a driving licence? You should have a short and long version of it.

I have no idea, I sent my short one off to SF and I dont know if I have a long one?

A100whoo
Lmao, good luck with SFE and your birth certificate!

Yeah exactly and if it doesnt come back within a few weeks then the application is cancelled and my money is refunded. Why they cant use a photocopy I do not know, its Student Finance FFS - the amount of security measures they use online is ridiculous!

Katq
I always use my bank/debit card (or whatever) for ID, it has my birth date and my photo.

Must be unique to Norway, never seen these in the UK?
Reply 11
THRASHx
I have no idea, I sent my short one off to SF and I dont know if I have a long one?

You should do I believe. I know all my family have them. Might be worth asking your parents. Not something you really want to have missing really...
I was fostered at the age of six and take my fostered mums surname and not by depol l have my birth certificate under my birth name and all my other papers under my fostered name lm really finding it hard to get jobs get married a driving license and passport what can l do.
I don't have a passport or a birth certificate what do I use to apply for a provisional licence?
If I can post this reply without having to pay/join/log on or provide the data miners a zillion authentication details for supposed "security purposes" then you will be okay without any photo id. So let's see. ...
Not everyone gets the long version in the UK you get the short one free but if you don't have the funds to pay for a long one at the time of registering then you don't get the long one..... if you want a copy of your birth certificate from where I am (West Yorkshire) it's around about 17 pound for the short and over 20 pound for the long one now....
I need to get photo id to get my money back from Western union they wait give me it back without photo I'd I showed my birth certificate bank card addresses but still no good
Reply 17
Citizen card. I have one myself.
Reply 18
Original post by Beadle's About

You can't, I had a national ID card and the current gov has scrapped it so it's not valid for travel nor valid ID for that matter.
Reply 19
Original post by Hiptick
My son need a provisional licence but don't have a passport what can he use and send it to get one?

This thread is from 2010 - don't bump old threads!

Your son can use his birth certificate and national insurance letter.

Quick Reply