The Student Room Group

PGCE application process

Hi guys,

Sent off my application for PGCE today or rather the send to reference part. My reference then got back to me saying he had received it and that he would do it by the deadline.

The word deadline worries me...does anybody know what deadline he might be referring to. When the references are sent do they give the referee a certain amount of time to respond? I ask because if the deadline is miles away I will need to ring up GTTR and change my first reference.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Will
Could you email your first referee and ask if he could possibly complete it within a week as PGCE courses are competitive? I'm sure he/she will understand. If not maybe change your referee.

Deadline for Primary is around the 14th December if I remember rightly so this may be what they are talking about.

Good Luck
Reply 2
Hi, I am applying for secondary PE so that I guess that could mean the deadline isn't until the new year, in which case you're right I do need to get in touch. I know his wife is about to have a baby so if he doesn't manage to do it before then i could be in for a long wait!
Reply 3
I'm pretty certain that GTTR give the reference 2 weeks to complete it before sending another email to them. This may have been explained so he could be referring to that. The only way to know for sure though would be to email him and ask.
Reply 4
Thanks Kaiser, I have done so and am awaiting a response :-)
Reply 5
Original post by She's_electric
Could you email your first referee and ask if he could possibly complete it within a week as PGCE courses are competitive? I'm sure he/she will understand. If not maybe change your referee.

Deadline for Primary is around the 14th December if I remember rightly so this may be what they are talking about.

Good Luck

Hey - When's the earrrrliest I can start applying for my PGCE? (I say 'my' like it's already mine haha!)... I hope to start it in 2012. Thank you!
Reply 6
Original post by tigergrowl
Hey - When's the earrrrliest I can start applying for my PGCE? (I say 'my' like it's already mine haha!)... I hope to start it in 2012. Thank you!

September 2011.
Reply 7
Original post by angelofmel
September 2011.

Thank you!
Reply 8
I've recently decided that I want to apply for a PGCE so that I can start this September. How do I apply? I don't know where to start, I know I have to write a personal statement but I'm not sure about the work experience; is it essential to have experience or not before I apply.
I know that I want to teach science in a secondary school, is it late to apply at this stage because a friend of mine last year applied in late May so that she could start in september 2010 of that year.
I would be grateful for some much needed advice right now. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by AG1988
I've recently decided that I want to apply for a PGCE so that I can start this September. How do I apply? I don't know where to start, I know I have to write a personal statement but I'm not sure about the work experience; is it essential to have experience or not before I apply.
I know that I want to teach science in a secondary school, is it late to apply at this stage because a friend of mine last year applied in late May so that she could start in september 2010 of that year.
I would be grateful for some much needed advice right now. :smile:

hey its not too late to apply for a PGCE to start in september but courses are filling up quickly so your chances are slim.

Work experience in a school is essential for most, if not all, courses, yes. It will really back your application and give you things to talk about in your interview if anything. and also will help you decide if teach really is for you before you get stuck into the course. Most courses ask for a minimum of about 10 days/2 weeks in a school at the level of your choice and in your subject...so for in your case a range of secondary science lessons, and a fair few want thier students to have a week or so in a primary school as well to view what the learning is like before they get to your lessons.

as for the form itself, you apply through the GTTR (www.gttr.ac.uk) the form is fairly simple, just like UCAS for undergraduate degrees but with a section for personal statement and a section to list time spent in schools/work experience.

hope this helps, anything else you'd like to know that i've not covered?
I don't know that it's too late to apply now, I only just applied and the people at the uni I spoke to said normally it would be too late to apply, because most unis would have met their TDA allowance and given away all the places, but this year they haven't got the allowance yet so any applications will be considered, even up to now. The announcement will be pretty soon though - next few weeks - so I'd try and get it in before then.

On a similar topic, do you get notified by email when your referee has completed their reference or do you have to log back in to find that out?
Original post by Suzanathema
On a similar topic, do you get notified by email when your referee has completed their reference or do you have to log back in to find that out?

Yes you do get an email when your reference is complete. You then have to pay so GTTR can process and send it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending