The Student Room Group

Motorbiker lifts weights.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
Original post by Tango189
Crap, I was ill last week and lost 5kg. Struggling to get more than a double on 90kg now. Changed my form a bit so I hit the chest with a second pause and I'm pretty good at dips now for some reason probably due to a lower bodyweight. Shoulders need some work if I'm to get to 120kg but I will give myself plenty of time i.e. eight weeks to slowly get there benching just once a week. Would have added more sessions but it's getting close to exam time and I need to do some work so then again it's a good time to cut (again :frown:)

Pretty pissed with this muscle loss, I was getting 140x6/8x2 and then 120 or so for 10 on deadlifts :angry:

You've got a beast of a press though so in theory you should easily win when bulking. You got 110kg yet?

I got 100x5 at my last session at uni, but then I moved back home to a gym with a terrible bench press setup. I'm probably going to go for 120 in 2 or 3 weeks as I am getting more acclimatised to this setup.

Given that I first hit 100 when my 5RM was 85 or so, I think 100x5 should translate to at least 115 for me. I've always been decent at maxing compared to reps.
so you guys work out?

Routine looks very press orientated then :s-smilie:

I'm thinking of having a log here for the next transformation contest but I'm waiting for the time during which it'll be running.

Really?

I press once a week and bb bench twice and db bench once so i'm benching everytime i'm in the gym. I thought it was bench orientated tbh.

Tbh i threw db bench in as i thought it was good for general upper body. May throw in db press on bench days for same reason...
Reply 1003
Original post by Motorbiker
Really?

I press once a week and bb bench twice and db bench once so i'm benching everytime i'm in the gym. I thought it was bench orientated tbh.

Tbh i threw db bench in as i thought it was good for general upper body. May throw in db press on bench days for same reason...

Why are you benching so much?
Original post by GQ.
Why are you benching so much?

To get dat chest...

Nah, db bench is high rep assistance for fun. Helps work arms says bros and its working alright...
N00b does Starting Strength

Starting Stats:
Weight:63kg
Height: 5 ft 9
Lifts:
5RM Bench 40kg
5RM Squat 45kg
5RM Deadlift 55kg
5RM Press 30kg
5RM Row 40kg
Chins PB 6
Pull ups PB 3

Current Stats:( As of Nov 19th 2011)
Weight : 74kg
Lifts:
1RM/5RM Bench 80/72.5kg
1RM/5RM Squat 135/115kg
1RM/5RM Deadlift 157.5/145kg
5RM Press 50kg
Push press 1RM 75kg
C&P 1RM 70kg.
WSM one arm press 34kg
5RM Row 55kg or 36kg Dumbell
Chins PB 11
Pull ups PB 8

I like how you put "height" as a starting stat.
Really?

Oh I meant upper body pushing generally lol. Should be half push and half pull I think to avoid posture issues.
Original post by Newbie123
I like how you put "height" as a starting stat.

Tbh I'm down to 5 ft 8 now... Must have entered it wrong at the start.

Oh I meant upper body pushing generally lol. Should be half push and half pull I think to avoid posture issues.

I db row twice a week and will be deadlifting once a week as well.
WEnt running thursday and again today...

No gym friday as gym is shut for Easter...

I did 5 clap pressups for fun whilst watching tvlast night.
Weren't that hard. Was going to do more sets then got distracted by other stuff.

Can you pull too much?

I was going to just go mad on the row variants because I never feel them the next day.
Original post by JasonTerryIsMyHero
Can you pull too much?

I was going to just go mad on the row variants because I never feel them the next day.

you can never pull enough, i read something for wendler saying guys at west-side often do 5 mini back workouts per week!
Reply 1011
Original post by Mdawg
I got 100x5 at my last session at uni, but then I moved back home to a gym with a terrible bench press setup. I'm probably going to go for 120 in 2 or 3 weeks as I am getting more acclimatised to this setup.

Given that I first hit 100 when my 5RM was 85 or so, I think 100x5 should translate to at least 115 for me. I've always been decent at maxing compared to reps.

I'm much better at maxing than repping too, and IIRC I hit a single on 120 wayy before I got 100 x 5.
Original post by JasonTerryIsMyHero
Can you pull too much?

Try higher rep ranges and more volume in general but not really more exercises if you know what I mean.
Weigh in 73.5kg
Put on over a kg in the last week with no gym and lots of chocolate/eating out.

Bench
20*10,
40*5,
47.5*5,
57.5*5,
67.5*5,
80*4,(3 was piss then 4th was slow as ****, lost tightness),
60*8

Did the first 3 and felt they were easy so then decided to go for 5 but i took like 5 seconds after the 3rd rep which stopped it.
Will hit 80*5 on Monday with madcows.

Squats
20*10,
60*5,
80*5,5,5,5, 5

Stupidly hard. I wanted to fold like a pancake. I hate squats, now, Dunno what happened, one day i was doing 120 for sets and reps then the next i was failing on the 4th set out of 5 ramping sets...

Db press
10*5,
12*8 ,
14*8,
16*8,5,5

These were very wobbly. Will work up the reps to a decent amount then up the weight and increase reps again.

Db row
16*8,
42*5/6,(r/l) ,5RM PB
36*10.

Bench and rows good. Squats worse than this time last year Ffs...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1014
Weigh in 73.5kg
Put on over a kg in the last week with no gym and lots of chocolate/eating out.

Bench
20*10,
40*5,
47.5*5,
57.5*5,
67.5*5,
80*4,(3 was piss then 4th was slow as ****, lost tightness),
60*8

Did the first 3 and felt they were easy so then decided to go for 5 but i took like 5 seconds after the 3rd rep which stopped it.
Will hit 80*5 on Monday with madcows.

Squats
20*10,
60*5,
80*5,5,5,5, 5

Stupidly hard. I wanted to fold like a pancake. I hate squats, now, Dunno what happened, one day i was doing 120 for sets and reps then the next i was failing on the 4th set out of 5 ramping sets...

Db press
10*5,
12*8 ,
14*8,
16*8,5,5

These were very wobbly. Will work up the reps to a decent amount then up the weight and increase reps again.

Db row
16*8,
42*5/6,(r/l) ,5RM PB
36*10.

Bench and rows good. Squats worse than this time last year Ffs...

I had this with squats. Was doing 5x5 at 120 6 months ago but with bad form. Then I started struggling with 110 so I did a massive reset. I'm know 122.5kg at 3x5 (reckon I could do 5x5 but want to focus on upping strength). It must have been something wrong with my diet or training. Guess I effed it up.

But now I do assistance work ontop of compounds and have reached all my previous PB's but am a lot stronger on assistance, have much better form, look better and am about 10kg lighter than I was this time last year.

I also think a mental barrier had something to play in it. I was quite scared of squats but now like them and feel like my strength is going to increase loads on them.
Original post by GQ.
I had this with squats. Was doing 5x5 at 120 6 months ago but with bad form. Then I started struggling with 110 so I did a massive reset. I'm know 122.5kg at 3x5 (reckon I could do 5x5 but want to focus on upping strength). It must have been something wrong with my diet or training. Guess I effed it up.

But now I do assistance work ontop of compounds and have reached all my previous PB's but am a lot stronger on assistance, have much better form, look better and am about 10kg lighter than I was this time last year.

I also think a mental barrier had something to play in it. I was quite scared of squats but now like them and feel like my strength is going to increase loads on them.

Tbh i'm not minding too much because my squat was my strongest lift by a long way before hand anyway and i already have legs that are too large for normal clothing...

Will be doing a lot more front squats and doing no belted squats for a while to focus on core strength etc.

And my upper body lifts are doing well at a lower bodyweight.
Reply 1016
Tbh i'm not minding too much because my squat was my strongest lift by a long way before hand anyway and i already have legs that are too large for normal clothing...

Will be doing a lot more front squats and doing no belted squats for a while to focus on core strength etc.

And my upper body lifts are doing well at a lower bodyweight.

Ah you do belt for squats normally? I've only ever used a belt for a 1RM. But now don't use one until I am certain that I won't be able to make the lift without.
Original post by GQ.
Ah you do belt for squats normally? I've only ever used a belt for a 1RM. But now don't use one until I am certain that I won't be able to make the lift without.

I used one for a few months from september for my top sets. I always write it into my blog when i used it. Think all it did is kill my core strength so much that i can't squat at all without it now... ffs...

Deciding now i care more about core strength than ultimate leg strength so will only take out the belt for 1RM attempts and the like...
Weigh in 73.3kg.
After lunch weigh in so would be a morning wigh in of like 1kg less...

Press
20*5,
30*4 ,
40*1,
50*5,5,5,(3*5 PB :cool:)1
40*5,
3rd set absolutely killed me. 5th rep took a good 4 seconds to go from chest to lockout, need to work on my lockout strength as it's weirdly holding me back, they're flying off my chest easily for a change lately.

Also, taking shorter breaks from the 3rd set of press onwards today as needed to get home quickly.

Fronties (all clean grip now:cool:)
20*5,
40*3,
60*3,
70*3,
75*3, (3RM PB:cool:)forearms dipped on 3rd rep and hurt fingers,
75*walkout,
60*f,

Fingers hurt from the triple at 75. Dropped the bar onto the fail rails on the 60kg because my fingers were killing me.(Got a startled look from the personal trainer for my VERY loud metalsmashing into metal noise in the posh free weights room) Reckon my clean grip is a lot better/stronger now though. Only second full session using it and a lot mroe reps this time. Will go to 3*3 at 75 next time or 80*3 depending on how i'm feeling.

Deadlift
40*7,
80*3,
120*2,
150*2,1
fingers hurting Ffs. Also, deadlift feeling weak lately since i've lost strength and haven't deadlifted much lately. Tbh my ass rose so fast these were all SLDL.

Db bench
15*7,
30*f, 5 (5RM PB:cool:).
Once I got 1 i got more. Changed rooms as the benches in the ncie room have a little divot in themwhere your ass goes which is offputting.
26*5

went home
Weigh in 73kg
Standard weight these days. Plan is to stick at this weight atm. Means i can eat more than whilst cutting but wont get fat again.:smile:

Bench
20*10,
40*5,
47.5*5,
57.5*5,
67.5*5,
80*5, (5RM PB).

Back on madcows and hitting dem PBs. Weirdest thing is the 67.5 set felt harder than the last set.

Squats
20*10,
50*5,
85*5,5,5,5,5

Tough as ****, almost vommed. Hate my squats lately.
Dunno why i'm finding it difficult. I've done over 100 for 5*5 before...

DB press
10*6,
16*8,8, 8
Upped the reps from last week. Will go 3*9 then 3*10 then lift the weights and see what i can get.

DB rows
18*5,
44*5 (5RM PB),
38*9

Quick Reply

Latest