The Student Room Group

Geography applicants for entry 2012 :]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by swbp
Haha, do we have a Sheffield student here?

Nah, I'm in my A Levels and didn't even apply for Sheffield. For I think it's the best uni among your choices that's why :tongue:
Studying: Geography, English Literature, Spanish.
Firmed: SUSSEX - Geography BA L700
Insurance: EXETER - Geography BA L704
:smile:
Reply 402
I'll firm Edinburgh for MA Geography L700, and the insurance will be UCL BA Geography L701 (with a year abroad).
:biggrin:
Finally heard back from my last Uni, KCL, unsuccessful :frown:

Will be firming QMUL :biggrin:

Greenwich, Kingston or St Mary's Twickenham for my insurance, no clue which one I'll pick yet :confused:
Reply 404
Hello :P Tell your opinion, where do you think is better place to study - Lancaster or Glasgow university? :smile:)
Reply 405
Original post by Brigitta
Hello :P Tell your opinion, where do you think is better place to study - Lancaster or Glasgow university? :smile:)

Glasgow, good academic reputation and a far better place to live for 3 years than Lancaster.Glasgow is a buzzing city,loads to see/do,has an airport, brilliant rail links for Edinburgh,All that Lancaster has to offer can be seen in one afternoon ( and that will be wet).
Original post by Brigitta

If I had to choose I'd choose Glasgow - fantastic uni, large and vibrant city, plenty to see, easy to get to other places - via airport, central station etc, great music scene, fantastic atmosphere.

Lancaster is a great uni too, but there isn't much to do and i've heard the weather is bad, that being said you can go to Manchester and such but it's still pretty far.
Reply 407
Would I be daft to turn down Durham for a Geography Bsc? Stuck between Lancaster and Durham atm, with the courses similarly appealing, although Lancaster is much closer to home.
Reply 408
Original post by Gumpert
Would I be daft to turn down Durham for a Geography Bsc? Stuck between Lancaster and Durham atm, with the courses similarly appealing, although Lancaster is much closer to home.

Not at all - Lancaster is top 10 for geography and top 10 overall, and their employment rates afterwards are really impressive. Durham does have one of the best departments in the country, but some people don't like the atmosphere they encounter there. I didn't even apply because i felt so uncomfortable on the open day :/
Reply 409
Original post by swbp
Not at all - Lancaster is top 10 for geography and top 10 overall, and their employment rates afterwards are really impressive. Durham does have one of the best departments in the country, but some people don't like the atmosphere they encounter there. I didn't even apply because i felt so uncomfortable on the open day :/

Thanks :smile: , I get what you mean I think. Seems a more personal, maybe friendly atmosphere at Lancaster. Where did you apply in the end then?
Reply 410
Original post by Gumpert
Thanks :smile: , I get what you mean I think. Seems a more personal, maybe friendly atmosphere at Lancaster. Where did you apply in the end then?

I ened up going for Leicester, QMUL, RHUL, Sheffield and Sussex. I'm from a state school and literally everyone on the geography tour were from private schools. I just felt inferior at Durham, wheras when I visited the others the people were kind and open minded :smile:
Think I will be putting Cambridge as my firm, and Sheffield for Economics as my insurance. I know they are different courses, but think it's what I want. Just can't quite bring myself yet to do it on UCAS.
Original post by mespannerhanz
Think I will be putting Cambridge as my firm, and Sheffield for Economics as my insurance. I know they are different courses, but think it's what I want. Just can't quite bring myself yet to do it on UCAS.

Do it! Then go get that A*! :d

(I dont have to get an A* because I applied to Oxford, mwhahaha :tongue:)
Original post by DavidCrow
Do it! Then go get that A*! :d

(I dont have to get an A* because I applied to Oxford, mwhahaha :tongue:)

I know I really should. Just haven't mustered up the courage yet, but I don't know why!! I'm pretty certain about my choices!
Dear all,

This is just a general reply, nobody should take it personally.Consider it as a word of advice from a mature geographer.

As someone else said before me, your lack of focus on your chosen subject could cost you your very own place at uni. The truth is, many of you have no idea what to chose, which shows lack of passion for any subject. It's depressing to be very passionate about your subject and then go to uni believing everyone else is but discovering they are there because they did not know what to chose/they thought it is the easiest option. And on top of that, you get to hear them wining about how they hate their assignments bla bla. I keep asking myself : "if you lot think uni is a joke and you hate it so much, why the hell have you applied?"

If you think geography is easy, think again. University geography is different, demanding and you will work your ass off for a good 2.1, not to mention a first or distinction.

While I support the idea that everybody is entitled to education, I reject this kind of "i must have a degree" trend. If you feel you are not up for it or you have no passion for it, stay home because it's not worth wasting your parent's hard earned money just to get pissed with your mates every weekend and pretending you are doing a degree.

Another important point to consider is this: 1st year counts! not officially, but it counts in terms of preparing you for what is still to come. This is the year when you are allowed to do mistakes but not to indulge in them, rather try to correct them asap and learn from the precious feedback.

WARNING: I know you cannot wait to get rid of your parents, etc and dwell in nigh-clubs but beware, this kind of lifestyle will haunt you further and will define who you will become. You will soon be undertaken by students who chose to spend their time in the library instead of the pub. University time is crucial, do not waste it on entertainment, you have plenty time for that after you build up a solid career and have solid earnings!

REMEMBER: Mediocrity is everywhere, Excellence is rare! Be positive, believe in yourself and work hard, that is all you need to get there!

Much love from Uni of Manchester,

xxx
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by AlexandraS
Dear all,

This is just a general reply, nobody should take it personally.Consider it as a word of advice from a mature geographer.

As someone else said before me, your lack of focus on your chosen subject could cost you your very own place at uni. The truth is, many of you have no idea what to chose, which shows lack of passion for any subject. It's depressing to be very passionate about your subject and then go to uni believing everyone else is but discovering they are there because they did not know what to chose/they thought it is the easiest option. And on top of that, you get to hear them wining about how they hate their assignments bla bla. I keep asking myself : "if you lot think uni is a joke and you hate it so much, why the hell have you applied?"

If you think geography is easy, think again. University geography is different, demanding and you will work your ass off for a good 2.1, not to mention a first or distinction.

While I support the idea that everybody is entitled to education, I reject this kind of "i must have a degree" trend. If you feel you are not up for it or you have no passion for it, stay home because it's not worth wasting your parent's hard earned money just to get pissed with your mates every weekend and pretending you are doing a degree.

Another important point to consider is this: 1st year counts! not officially, but it counts in terms of preparing you for what is still to come. This is the year when you are allowed to do mistakes but not to indulge in them, rather try to correct them asap and learn from the precious feedback.

WARNING: I know you cannot wait to get rid of your parents, etc and dwell in nigh-clubs but beware, this kind of lifestyle will haunt you further and will define who you will become. You will soon be undertaken by students who chose to spend their time in the library instead of the pub. University time is crucial, do not waste it on entertainment, you have plenty time for that after you build up a solid career and have solid earnings!

REMEMBER: Mediocrity is everywhere, Excellence is rare! Be positive, believe in yourself and work hard, that is all you need to get there!

xxx

Totally agree and, I'm a true Geography enthusiast! And tbh Geography A Level is already hard for me. I hate how people think Geography is about colouring or maps or rocks. There are so much more to it.
Reply 416
Original post by AlexandraS
Dear all,

xxx

Awesome post.
Reply 417
And, ontopic:

At the moment finishing off my proposal for my MA by Research in Human Geography at the University of Hull.
Had an appointment with my intended supervisor two weeks ago and both he and I were very enthusiastic about my subject and proposal!

Today I finally ran into the professor I wanted to ask for a reference and he kindly agreed to write me one! So that's awesome! Really can't wait to start in September!
Reply 418
I have to decide between Newcastle and Birmingham, anyone got any experiences of either of them?
Hi everyone!

I'm a mature student doing an Access to HE in Biology and Chemistry at the moment - last hectic month of it!

I've now firmed Sussex for Geography BSc and put Royal Holloway (also Geography BSc) as insurance.

3 of my choices (those 2 and Brighton) were Geog BSC, where the other 2 were joint Geography and Biology at Chester and Environmental Science (which is half made of units from Geog and Half from Bio, so essentially also a joint) at Bath Spa. They all looked good in their own ways.

The nearest place to me that offered geography and Environmental Science as a combination was Southampton Solent, which I would touch with a ten foot barge pole based on the experiences friends of mine have had there, and the place that offered this combination where I would have loved to go was Edinburgh, but it's too far away from my partner and family.

I Hope I wasn't too swayed by the friends who told me it was important to pay attention to the position in league tables and reputation of the uni when deciding. While it's important that I get some wildlife biology and ecology in there, I can choose options in these throughout the course at Sussex, and unless they change the programme (please no!), there's a unit on the biogeography and conservation of the rainforest in final year. There is also, I've heard, one place for a student to work for a while with one of their most successful graduates of recent years on her community development and conservation NGO in Madagascar, which I'll work my arse off to be considered for.

Good luck on making your decisions, and in your exams :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest