The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by 99luft Balons
maybe Asian men and Russian women need to hook up :wink: Apparently there are 9 million more Russian women than men.

also, why are Asians like 'disgusted' by sex like they find it dirty when they obviously have lots of it?

Who is disgusted by it? Japanese men maybe - since they have such an advanced society that they do not need to bother with sex - they have gadgets at their disposal thar are far more interesting than sex could ever be.

I doubt that in India people would be disgusted by it (maybe some Christians and Muslims), since it is the home of the Kama Shastras.

Also, alot of those Russian women will be old and isolated in small villages - so not really very practical. The male mortality rate is high because of excess alcohol consumption - and many men will leave for the cities.
(edited 12 years ago)
-Many Asian countries are bigger than European countries by land area. Population densities between European nations and Asian states are not so different.

-Lower income per capita, larger families needed to support parents/each other
-better health care, more children survive

-improving education leads to better paying jobs, which provide more income so families don't need to have as many kids. Most Asian cities have this trend, but the majority of the population still lives in rural area, so population will still increase.

-areas like India/china have been the worlds most populated centres all throughout history because Of very fertile land. Population for India in 1947 was larger than the US population today and china had even more.
maybe Asian men and Russian women need to hook up :wink: Apparently there are 9 million more Russian women than men.

also, why are Asians like 'disgusted' by sex like they find it dirty when they obviously have lots of it?

lool
Reply 23
Well, my GCSE Colouring skills have finally come in handy (oh wait I never took such a subject as Geography has been a waste of time since the first lesson, colour in the sea)

From what I remember healthcare has a huge role in the way populations are spread. Take Britain 1500 years ago, Britain was a giant farm land, with little village filled with farmers. Everything was ridiculously boring, there were no cinemas, no skydiving facilities and potentially the local witch (To be quite fair I don't even know if witches were associated with that period of time). But anyways hopefully you get the point, there was no technology at all.

The infant mortality rates would have been ridiculously high, many children dying of different disease, malnutrition, ridiculous accidents and the occasional picking their nose for gold. This would have encouraged parents to have more sex to produce more offspring to work on the farms, to bring in more food, although ironically they ate more... and crapped more...

Me (coming from the UK) came from an Asian/White British background, I have observed that more of my cousins from across the sea have more siblings then my family in the UK, one option I prefer not to think of, but traditionally the healthcare of the Asian countries has not been brilliant, it is improving but my family who do work on farms (I was pretty lucky as my father is now a pristine doctor one of the best in his field) do have a larger amount of family working on farms when they are not in school or working to better themselves by revising.

Although of course the reduction in the birth of children can have some awful effects, as for what we are seeing in the UK when you look at population pyramids when it comes to age (hence why they raised the pension age)

I hope this gives a bigger picture of why Asians have larger populations. If there are any problems with what I have written please do quote me and prove me wrong.

Thanks for reading!
Poorer countries tend to have higher birth rates, for various reasons. For example:

Healthcare isn't particularly good, and infant mortality is high. If a couple had only one or two children, it's not unlikely that those children would die young, and the parents would end up with nothing. Having more children gives you a better chance of some of them surviving.
Children are somewhat of an investment. Bring them up for a few years, and soon enough they'll be able to work and earn money for the family. Having young children in employment has been common for poorer families who need the extra money. There haven't been "minimum working ages" like there have been in the UK. In the UK, people can't afford to have too many children, whereas in some other countries, people can't afford not to have enough children.
By the time the parents get into their old age, who's going to look after them, both financially and emotionally? These countries haven't had the best state pension schemes, or elderly care homes. The people who take care of you when you're old are your children. The more you have, the more care and attention you'll get, and the better looked after you'll be.
Black plague (and other plague in the middle age) if I recall it killed like half of the European population of the time.
Napoléon wars, Franco-Prussian War + 2 world war. I think that's what hurted European demography. I do not think Asian country have something "special".
Reply 26
India passed the 1 billion mark in 2000.China has the world's largest population but it is also a huge country, but so is Russia a large country but have a much smaller population?

Like Bangladesh for example there are 140 million people in an area the size of New York state or England.Pakistan has a huge population of 173,593,383, it is the sixth most populous country in the world.But in 1947, Pakistan had a population of 32.5 million.From 1990 to 2009 it increased at a rate of 57.2%.

Do they pop out babies like tic tacs?

Also, are large populations a blessing or a curse for a country?

I think a lot of it has to do with having early civilisations that have grown in size for a long time, and they haven't had any huge epidemics like the plague or any major wars.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by HeavyTeddy
Because asians breed like rabbits, especially now that it's Easter :wink:

I find that offensive :angry:
Original post by HopefulFutureMedic

Me too it is so racist they aren't asians they are Asian-Americans.
Original post by HopefulFutureMedic

It's the harsh truth. :colone:
Reply 30

How did you suddenly derive that? Asians love it but they don't go around campaigning about it.
Original post by LysFromParis
Black plague (and other plague in the middle age) if I recall it killed like half of the European population of the time.
Napoléon wars, Franco-Prussian War + 2 world war. I think that's what hurted European demography. I do not think Asian country have something "special".

Yes, but wars and diseases have killed populations all over the world, not just in Europe. The wars of the 19th and 20th century (especially 20th century) did kill a lot of Europeans, but the main factor in European population decline is by far the simple fact that Europeans don't have as many children as they used to. 'Asians' (and this is a very broad term) on the other hand, still tend to have many more children than Europeans do.
Reply 32
Asians love to have big families.

I'd want a big family too :smile:

Maybe 6 kids :biggrin:

or more.. :P
Reply 33
Original post by Politricks
You think that's bad?
Bangladesh has a population of approximately 150,000,000 people, and it's half the size of the UK

That's actually 160,000,000 according to the CIA world factbook.

Check this out. Africa is the continent causing the world's population to boom.
http://www.geohive.com/earth/pop_continent.aspx
(edited 12 years ago)
Well first look at it from the beginning. you have the advent of agriculture. The climate in Asia is ideal for growing vast crops of rice. East Asia mainly. you have ideal weather conditions for grain and other production. Large families are needed for agricultural work, and there's the fact that enfant mortality rates are high in those nations...

Only recently in the latter half of the 20th century has nuclear families begin to emerge in western societies. If you look at density maps, the population of asia is concentrated along the Ganges or along the the shoreline of China.

Also Asia did lack a Witchcraft, and a few plagues which decimated Europe. Europe also has a colder clime, making it less enticing to settle, whereas in the middle-east, and Asia populations were abundant.
Reply 35
Original post by Craig_D
In the case of India and China, because they're so large. Both have a lower population density than the UK.

Not true. India has a higher population density than the UK.

India is only over a million square miles, with over a billion people. Australia is over twice as big with under 2% the population of India.
Original post by M4LLY
Because Durex have yet to expand over there

It exists there just they don't like using it, religious reasons and all.... and poverty can't afford it....
Original post by internetguru
Me too it is so racist they aren't asians they are Asian-Americans.

I think they mean actual asians.... not the ones that have migrated.....
Reply 38
Lack of available contraception, sometimes due to religious reasons (e.g. in the Philippines the government does not encourage the use of contraception because the country's official religion is catholicism), or because people cannot afford it

Lack of awareness

Lower GDP per capita and many people believe that if they have many children then their children can look after them when they're older, and in asian cultures the older generations do tend to stay with the younger ones so this is how the perception is carried on

Higher infant mortality - people have more kids just in case

Asians like to have big families so more people to carry on the things associated with that family, e.g. family name, genes, traditions, etc.
Original post by HeavyTeddy
It's the harsh truth. :colone:

:mad:

Latest

Trending

Trending