The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Why don't you want to go to university?
Reply 2
Not in same situation no but theres nothing wrong with not wanting to go to uni. Uni isnt everything at all. Ignore your school if they are just going to act like tossers. Do what you want to do. I assume most people who leave college without going to uni will get jobs or furtrher training towards a job
are you 7 times better than sophie3?
Reply 4
I cant wait to go to UNI corr

loads of parties, sex and new people!!!!!

what more do you need???
Reply 5
Bangers+Mash
are you 7 times better than sophie3?

What i wanna know is what happened to sophie4-9 :s-smilie:

But to the OP, no point going if you don't want to, and you can always go later on in life if you feel like it; well done for not just mindlessly going with the GCSE-A-Levels-Uni thing :smile:
jjkkll

loads of parties, sex and new people!!!!!

what more do you need???

But you can get that anywhere?
Reply 7
~Ally~
What i wanna know is what happened to sophie4-9 :s-smilie:

LOL:yep:

and lol @ the pokeable!!
Marsha2112
But you can get that anywhere?

ahhh, but wait...

correction:

jjkkll

loads of dirrrty parties, dirrrty sex and dirrrty new people!!!!!

what more do you need???
Reply 9
Bangers+Mash
ahhh, but wait...

correction:

:eek: :yep:
I went to uni , never going back again, hated it.

Its not for everyone, you don't need to go to uni to prove that you are bloody clever, unless you want to do medicine, or something very specific.

Otherwise uni is clubs, alcohol, sex and meeting immature people, well the majority.

If that's not your scene, then do a degree via a company where your working and they sponsor you for your degree.
Reply 11
jjkkll
LOL:yep:

and lol @ the pokeable!!

thanks.. but unfortunately i'm not anymore.. damn new facebook!
Reply 12
~Ally~
thanks.. but unfortunately i'm not anymore.. damn new facebook!

i poked you :biggrin:
Reply 13
i was in your situation. i went to college for four months before thinking 'this is pointless. i'm not happy, i don't enjoy my subjects and i don't really want to go to uni'. i know every one of my friends did, but i just didn't see the appeal of it. i'm much happier living with my bf instead, and i don't have to train to do anything right now, right after school. i'd rather get some work experience under my belt and have some money before deciding what to train to be. it would help if i had any clue on that though! ergh.
Reply 14
A few of my friends are like this....and I have to say if thats youre state of mind then you need to be very strong willed in school cause you will have people literally trying to bully you into going...but you have made a decision which is pretty darn clever of you, instead of going with the herd to a uni to get a degree you can't be arsed about you've chosen not to waste £20,000....seems pretty good to me.

In fact as someone who now has to share a home with someone who didnt actually want to go to uni, went and dropped out and is now a depressed little runt in the corner playing wow all day cause his world has collapsed because he didn't have the balls to say he didn't want to go in the first place....I salute you!
Reply 15
I hate university, **** it all. Plenty of good jobs out there you don't need it for, and frankly, 50% going to uni is a ridiculous target. Only doing it as a back plan. :cool:
I felt exactly the same. My school was also very university based and those who did not want to go had to have meetings with the head of the sixth form to discuss why. As bad as it is, I let myself get dragged along and hence am off to university (with far to many reservations and doubts) in October. Only two people out of 80 in our year group are not going and at least 10 others don't want to but have been pulled along for the ride like myself.

Hence, my advice is to stand your ground. If you know it isn't for you, don't let yourself be forced into it by college. Some of my friends went along the lines of 'I'll just fill in the UCAS form but won't send it off', then it became 'we'll just see if anyone wants me', then 'I'll firm one but I know I won't get the grades' etc. One has since decided he will just tell the university he isn't going but the rest are now heading to universities that they don't really like, to do courses they don't really want to do because it was the 'done thing'.

It sounds silly and unrealistic but it happens, especially in smaller more overbearing colleges. So, good luck to you and whatever you end up doing, I hope you enjoy yourself.

:smile:
Reply 17
At the end of year 12/beginning of year 13, i was convinced i didn't want to go to uni, i was a bit intimidated by the thought of being on my own, meeting new people etc. but i applied through ucas anyway thinking if i keep having doubts i can always withdraw. at least that way i can keep my options open. however, now i really can't wait to start! have a look around at different unis, visit open days, look at the different courses available.
however, uni isn't the only option in life. you can always go on to do an apprenticeship, to college, or go straight into a fulltime job. go down to the job centre or look online to see what sort of oppurtunities are available to you. you don't have to do anything for a few months yet! :smile: - although you should get your ucas application in asap after september if you change your mind!
im feeling the same im total 50/50 on the whole going to uni. your not alone
Reply 19
im pretty sure i dont want to go to uni, with loads of student loans you will need to pay back when youth and post graduate jobs at its lowest dosnt seem to add up. plus it calculated tht on average 70 people are going for the same one job once they have left uni, but tbf i would love to go to see all the new people and have parties and move somewhere new so im still a but confused. but my college is very much uni mad! and are pushing me to go. i plan to volunteer in south africa and do something more worth while than uni
peace.

Latest

Trending

Trending