The Student Room Group

Protein Powder: Questions and Advice Thread

Scroll to see replies

MeAndBubbles
it's not how nature intended, yes expect 'side effects', aim for a wholefood plant base diet, and tweek accordingly.

******. To put my classicist hat on for a moment, whey protein (made simply from milk -- very natural) was used in Roman times by gladiators wanting to bulk up, and was revered for its effects. I've seen great improvements in my skinny physique since using whey protein.
Redemption
It does have side effects.

The amino acids that come as the result of the protein make my wee really yellow.

Thanks, I ****** knew it!:woo:
Reply 42
MeAndBubbles

What's wrong with having a natural diet and not destroying the planet as your diet is.

a natural diet consists of eating meat. lots of it. why do you think so many animals eat meat? did they evolve that way or are they all just stupid?

we, have teeth evolved for eating meat, tis why its so easy for us, we have eyes facing forwards, so we can hunt animals to eat.

meat tastes good. especially high quality meat. is this just a coincidence? cause i dont like eating grass or tree bark. is this just my mind? or are my tastebuds stupid?
Reply 43
vegetarians are people who apply their human-human values to animals. when in fact they should have a totally different attitude towards human-animal.
Reply 44
Lara C.
vegetarians are people who apply their human-human values to animals. when in fact they should have a totally different attitude towards human-animal.

What I don't get is, when he says "a natural diet"

How exactly is being a vegeterian the natural order of things for humans?

The humane part is open to debate, but not the nature of it.
MeAndBubbles
Am I a weirdo?

What's wrong with having a natural diet and not destroying the planet as your diet is.

Furthermore compassion is a human value, I feel very humane with my way of life.

Its a bit weird trying to convert people to vege. If you are, great, fairplay to you, but it isn't appropriate to suggest switching lifestyle choices for a bulk...lol.

Eating meat is natural, no?

...And btw, I'm a vege two days a week for religous reasons. Its crap.
MeAndBubbles
Am I a weirdo?

Furthermore compassion is a human value, I feel very humane with my way of life.

Eating plants is not natural, humans are carnivores, get over it. Tbh, if i was allowed all id eat are raw veg, nuts, seeds and raw steak, but my parents disagree with not cooking stuff. Animalistic diet FTW!
Sandhu Mk II
Its a bit weird trying to convert people to vege. If you are, great, fairplay to you, but it isn't appropriate to suggest switching lifestyle choices for a bulk...lol.

Eating meat is natural, no?

...And btw, I'm a vege two days a week for religous reasons. Its crap.

I think only 1 or 2%, we are rare, lol. Why not though, doesnt do the Gorilla any harm, grrrrr. If you don't like it, fair play, 2 days wohoo.
SubGrappling
Eating plants is not natural, humans are carnivores, get over it. Tbh, if i was allowed all id eat are raw veg, nuts, seeds and raw steak, but my parents disagree with not cooking stuff. Animalistic diet FTW!

lol, you win, pass me the steak.:wink:
Reply 49
Redemption
It does have side effects.

The amino acids that come as the result of the protein make my wee really yellow.

try drinking more water.

That is not a side effect of amino acid digestion. It is a side effect of not drinking enough water.
Lara C.
what side effects are they? ive been taking protein shakes for years and ive not noticed any, except a justified hatred of vegetarians.

Oi, im vegetarian :frown:
Adonis
What I don't get is, when he says "a natural diet"

How exactly is being a vegeterian the natural order of things for humans?

The humane part is open to debate, but not the nature of it.

I mean that plant foods have all the vitamins and minerals etc, which an animal can develop on, AND grow huge on - elephant!,

whereas meat is not a direct source from nature, although I'm not familiar with how animals store vitamins/minerals. It will have some but I don't think meat has everything. That's all I mean by plants being more natural.

In fact the other human/moral aspect is more difficult to agree on.

Dude the girls want you to slim back down as before, how does that make you feel?
MeAndBubbles
whereas meat is not a direct source from nature

What bizarre definition of 'nature' are you using here? Animals existed perfectly normally within ecosystems without humans doing anything. Now both animals and plants have been adapted from their pre-existing states into the states in which they are now cultivated/reared for human consumption.

It seems by 'natural' you mean 'grown from a plant'. In that case; sure, meat isn't natural. Otherwise, I don't see your point. Animals and plants both occur naturally, and we have digestive systems sufficient for handling both, so in terms of 'natural' eating they're pretty even.
Reply 53
MeAndBubbles

Dude the girls want you to slim back down as before, how does that make you feel?

Well, we want you to stop recruiting for the latest vegan rally. How does that make you feel?

You're going to have to explain how meat is not sourced from nature. I was unaware that meat was synethetically produced. I was under the impressions it was the flesh of dead animals.
Reply 54
rt6
Hi,
I'm now venturing into the fitness forum as I plan to turn over a new leaf during uni. I'm quite skinny and want to bulk up a little bit but not too much. I have a really high metabolism, so no matter how much (or what) I eat, I never put on any weight. I joined a gym last month, and I've toned a bit and put on some muscle, but I think it's my diet that's hindering me rather than weights. I avoid cardio at the gym (but I play football regularly). Would you recommend I take protein shakes or any other supplement to put some muscle on? I'm changing my diet as well, but it's difficult (especially at uni) to maintain such a diet. Also, are there any side effects to protein shakes?

If you're not putting on weight, you're not eating enough.

I used to think that I was eating 'enough' and that it was just my metabolism. Then I saw how much people much bigger than me ate and realised I ate ****** all. Eat an extra meal a day and drink plenty of milk, you'll soon put a few pounds on.
Reply 55
MeAndBubbles
I mean that plant foods have all the vitamins and minerals etc, which an animal can develop on, AND grow huge on - elephant!,

whereas meat is not a direct source from nature, although I'm not familiar with how animals store vitamins/minerals. It will have some but I don't think meat has everything. That's all I mean by plants being more natural.

In fact the other human/moral aspect is more difficult to agree on.

What?
Chumbaniya
What bizarre definition of 'nature' are you using here? Animals existed perfectly normally within ecosystems without humans doing anything. Now both animals and plants have been adapted from their pre-existing states into the states in which they are now cultivated/reared for human consumption.

It seems by 'natural' you mean 'grown from a plant'. In that case; sure, meat isn't natural. Otherwise, I don't see your point. Animals and plants both occur naturally, and we have digestive systems sufficient for handling both, so in terms of 'natural' eating they're pretty even.

Mother nature, or God if you like, you would expect to provide you with everything, as a mother should. Plants do that, whereas a solely meat diet, expect to run into problems. Although as you say humans are able to eat both.
Reply 57
You don't really want to blow your budget on protein, You can make a protein shake from, Milk, Dried milk powder, Banana, Low fat yogurt and rolled oats blended up. Being mainly casein protein though, It wont be digested as quickly as whey.
Bebbs
Well, we want you to stop recruiting for the latest vegan rally. How does that make you feel?

You're going to have to explain how meat is not sourced from nature. I was unaware that meat was synethetically produced. I was under the impressions it was the flesh of dead animals.

It makes me sad to have to put you in the P brigade. It's like using the terrorist word, one persons terrorist is another's freedom fighter.
MeAndBubbles
Mother nature, or God if you like, you would expect to provide you with everything, as a mother should. Plants do that, whereas a solely meat diet, expect to run into problems. Although as you say humans are able to eat both.

So your argument is resorting to divine providence now? :s-smilie:

If we're going to descend to that level: why has Mother Nature/God placed animals on the earth that are so delicious? Surely if they weren't meant to be eaten they wouldn't be so tasty.

Quick Reply

Latest