The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

2014 Frequently Asked Questions (read this first)!

Just want to give a massive thank you to Steeevo for creating and maintaining this thread but since it's been out of date for a wee while I'm 'taking over' to update it and maintain it from a current students point of view :smile:

If you have a question about St Andrews University, chances are someone has asked it before so here is a list of the most frequently asked questions, this is a work in progress which I will be adding to as I think of more / more are asked. Please note if you have a specific question which is only applicable to you or a minority of people please post that in the Ask A Current Student Thread however if you have a suggestion of a question applicable many new students the please post the question here (with an answer too if you have one!)

Q) What is the University/Town of St Andrews really like?

ANSWER

Q) How does the credit system work?

ANSWER

Q) What are 1000/2000/3000 level modules?

ANSWER

Q) Does St Andrews have any nightclubs?

ANSWER

Q) What is the nightlife like?

ANSWER

Q) I applied weeks ago and haven’t heard anything back, have I been rejected?

ANSWER

Q) Why are courses in Scotland a year longer then in the rest of the UK?

ANSWER

Q) Is an MA from St Andews the same as a postgraduate MA from most other unis in the rest of the UK?

ANSWER

Q) Which is the best hall for my degree?

ANSWER

Q) Can I specify which hall I want to apply to?

ANSWER

Q) Does New Hall and DRA really have TVs in the rooms?

ANSWER

Q) I will be 17 when I come, am I going to fit in and will I be able to go out to pubs?

ANSWER

Q) Should I bring a car?

ANSWER

Q) How expensive is ST Andrews / what should I budget?

ANSWER

Q) How much do the gowns cost and do I need to buy one?

ANSWER

Q) If I am in the Arts/Sciences faculty can I do modules from the other?

ANSWER

Q) Can I transfer from my original degree to another degree?

ANSWER

(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
FOR ALL OF THOSE THANKING ME FOR THIS THREAD!
Just so you know, although I happened to be the first to get sick of answering the same questions and make this thread, a lot of the information also comes from the other current students on the board, namely ImperceptibleNinja, dragon500uk , la_banane_verte and anyone else Ive forgotten (if you want a mention just let me know!)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Let me know if you can think of any more, and if any mods read this please sticky it! Thanks.
*high five* Fantastic thread! I'll rub my brain cells together and see if I can come up with anything else to help.

Idea...

Q) Why should i go to St Andrews?

A)
This question has been ask countless times, and if you scour the page you will find topics with a thousand and one reasons for attending (or not).
Reply 5
Wow! Thanks Steeeeevo. Hope the mods will sticky it.

There's a mistake in question 5: more = for.
Bump.

Also, another FAQ:

How much do the gowns cost and do I need to buy one?

At the moment, gowns cost £135 new; they are cheaper second-hand but these sell out very quickly. You don't need to buy one, but it's a nice thing to have.
Reply 7
Bump for the new applicants! :biggrin:
I'll probably get warned or negged for resurrecting this after 4 weeks (oh well:rolleyes: ) but it's a great OP and Steeeeevo did a good job! Lots of useful info up there :wink:
Tis a good thread, someone sticky it for us please!
Sticky sticky sticky!

=E
chester.
Bump for the new applicants! :biggrin:
I'll probably get warned or negged for resurrecting this after 4 weeks (oh well:rolleyes: ) but it's a great OP and Steeeeevo did a good job! Lots of useful info up there :wink:

nah you wont get negged, actually I might pos you, just cos its my thread :p: Still a work in progress really, havent been giving it my full attention, yeah it could do with being stickied but I dont know how to do it other than hope a mod reads this! Oh well, Ill prob find a place for it in the wiki tomorrow, but after a long hard shift cant really be bothered now! (insert yawning / tired smiley that I just can find right now :p: )
Reply 11
Did someone say sticky?:p:
Reply 12
Steeeeevo
Q) Is an MA from St Andews the same as an MA from the rest of the UK?
A) No. MA is just a title traditionally given out at ancient Scottish universities and is equivalent to a BA, though upon graduation you can still use the letters MA after your name and do not HAVE to mention that it is only an undergraduate MA :wink:

You get undergraduate MAs at all the ancient universities in the British Isles, not just Scotland. In other words, Oxbridge and Dublin. There's nothing particularly Scottish about them.
L i b
You get undergraduate MAs at all the ancient universities in the British Isles, not just Scotland. In other words, Oxbridge and Dublin. There's nothing particularly Scottish about them.

Cheers for that, Ive also re-formatted it a bit, hopefully to make it easier to read and find what youre looking for.
Reply 14
Great job Steve! Needs to be sticky-ed now!
Good job!
How about a question regarding transfering between Arts/Sciences departments, or taking courses out of your department?
Reply 16
yodude888
Good job!
How about a question regarding transfering between Arts/Sciences departments, or taking courses out of your department?

As far as I know you can take courses out with your faculty but it as to be looked at. For example when I started this year a friend is in the science faculty and was considering a course in the Arts faculty. They just said they would look at it and decide if he was up to it. Its more of a problem for say an arts student wanting to take some chemistry or physics modules than the other way around.

As for transfering between degrees this is possible but I assume it is dealt with on a case by case basis.
Bump, because it's that time of year again!
Le bump. Cos it needs it =E

STICKEH!
Ahh I wondered where this was! think ill do some long-time needed maintenance and updates on it while its here! Can anyone think of any good questions to put in? (current students only please!)

Quick Reply