The Student Room Group

The TSR Geology Society!

Scroll to see replies

Strumpet
Ha ha! I certainly have! :biggrin: Not permenantly though, I just wanted to jump on the bandwagon! How do I join? :smile:

You join by telling me you want to join and i will add you to the exclusive members list! You could always put in your signature that you are a member if you wish to but if not, we will all know you are anyway! And thats about it! If you have read my first post in this thread you will understand what the society is all about and the issues and debates we hope to cover, as well as providing lots and lots of information on geological events in the media as they happen (unless something happens at 2.30am, by which point i hope to be in bed and therefore wont post until the morning :biggrin: )

Lou
xxx
Reply 41
Nope :smile:

woo my education hasnt been wasted!
Reply 42
wow look at all these new members!

:wavey:
Reply 43
Originally quoted by sparkly_tiara
I didn't do GL3 in January, all of our exams are in the next two weeks for geology... we have GL1 and GL3 on the same day!

Thats unlucky, GL3 is the nice exam.......if there is such a thing =)
Reply 44
Count me in, I'm studying geophysics at Imperial or Durham next autumn, grades depending. Collected rocks since I was 7, fascinated by igneous geology and anything to do with that stuff.
riccardo
Count me in, I'm studying geophysics at Imperial or Durham next autumn, grades depending. Collected rocks since I was 7, fascinated by igneous geology and anything to do with that stuff.

Sounds a fantastic degree! Is it a three year course?So you are into igneous geology? You can enlighten us all with your knowledge of dykes, sills, plutons and lava flows then! Welcome aboard!

Lou
xxx
Reply 46
Nah, it's 4 years. And I don't intend to bore anyone!
riccardo
Nah, it's 4 years. And I don't intend to bore anyone!

4 years, even better! And i doubt anyone that has decided to join the geology society would find the dicussion of igenous bodies boring anyway!

Lou
xxx
Reply 48
So, does anybody know much about Madeira, with regards to the geochemistry. I'm going for my last family holidays there this summer (why couldn't they have chosen Iceland?!) So I hope to find some decent volcanic rock samples there. Oh, lou, I want to be a volcanologist too (I think you said that earlier)
riccardo
So, does anybody know much about Madeira, with regards to the geochemistry. I'm going for my last family holidays there this summer (why couldn't they have chosen Iceland?!) So I hope to find some decent volcanic rock samples there. Oh, lou, I want to be a volcanologist too (I think you said that earlier)

Wow! Okay, Iceland may have been more of a better location for volcanoes and igneous rock but Madeira isn't that bad! I don't know too much but am aware that the island is a summit of a submarine volcano and has mountaneos peaks so you may well be in luck! I went to Hawaii two years ago and that was truly amazing... active volcanoes are breathtaking and the volcano walk was ankle- breaking (5 miles walking on uneven lava flows, yay)! I am going on a geology fieldtrip to Vesuvius, Italy in November so am looking forward to that! Has/ is anyone going on/ been on any holidays with geological significance, e.g Iceland or Japan (earthquakes)?

Lou
xxx
Reply 50
Iceland and Vesuvius :smile:
Reply 51
Yeah, I've got bits of Vesuvius, Etna, the Canary Islands, Caer Caradoc :cool: (long extinct volcano in Shropshire) in my collection of volcanic rocks. I know madeira is like the rest of them off the coast of Africa, extinct or dormant and caused by hotspots (I read you can do a volcanology/geophysics PhD on an old hotspot off the Cape Verde Islands... I'll do my MSci first though :smile: ) but I don't know what I'll find there except for run of the mill basalt.

With regards to Hawaii, you know if you look at a pahoehoe flow, the edge of it looks the same at whatever scale you view it... weird. It's fractals and chaos etc.

Any of you collect rocks?
riccardo
Yeah, I've got bits of Vesuvius, Etna, the Canary Islands, Caer Caradoc :cool: (long extinct volcano in Shropshire) in my collection of volcanic rocks. I know madeira is like the rest of them off the coast of Africa, extinct or dormant and caused by hotspots (I read you can do a volcanology/geophysics PhD on an old hotspot off the Cape Verde Islands... I'll do my MSci first though :smile: ) but I don't know what I'll find there except for run of the mill basalt.

With regards to Hawaii, you know if you look at a pahoehoe flow, the edge of it looks the same at whatever scale you view it... weird. It's fractals and chaos etc.

Any of you collect rocks?

I am dying to go to Vesuvius! Did you enjoy it? And yes, i will come out and admit it... i collect rocks! I have bits from hawaii, canary islands and iceland but i also collect minerals! I really, really, really want some tourmaline, malachite and turquoise minerals but haven't got any yet! Certain corals amaze me but you aren't supposed to collect them according to a teacher of mine! My parents got me a beautiful necklace at christmas with fragments of mineral crystals round it... it is hard to describe it but is really beautiful so i always have something geological with me!

Lou
xxx
Reply 53
I've got some tourmaline and malachite. The best places, you'll find, and here I start to sound really geeky, will be on mine tips, rather than in situ. You'll know that hydrothermal veins caused by rising igneous intrusions radiate out and the minerals you find at certain distances will be determined by temperatures at which they solidify (low melting point means long way out) so the bits they mine are full of bits they don't want, you can find some really nice stuff because they just throw the gangue on to tips. Look for tourmaline in granite, you'll find some if you look hard enough and you could find malachite at pretty much anywhere in north wales or anglessey and there are old copper mines on bodmin moor ( I found some decent malachite just north of Liskeard at christmas)
Reply 54
I'll join if that is ok. I've just finished the first year of a three year Geology degree at Bristol. I did Geology at GCSE and A Level (both with WJEC). I have to say though a degree in the subject is quite different to A Level and GCSE as it gets way more scientific and quantified.
I'm particularly interested in mapping, which is good because I get to do a 5/6 week mapping trip in the summer between the second and third years.

riccardo
Yeah, I've got bits of Vesuvius, Etna, the Canary Islands, Caer Caradoc :cool: (long extinct volcano in Shropshire) in my collection of volcanic rocks.

I'm from near Caer Caradoc. Been up there a few times. Bet you didn't know that the oldest pub in Shropshire is situated at the foot of Caer Caradoc.
Reply 55
Well I did it, GL2 was today on WJEC AS. After pondering about fossils and how they annoy me and I can't learn anything about them, they were worth few marks in the actual exam. After much consideration, I think that this year's GL2 was the easiest, more than any past paper i've done.

I think I did pretty well, and this was reinforced by my geology teacher who attempted the paper while we did it. As i trust the guy, him being a master of the subject, i took his answer's to be correct, adn when compared to his after the test it seemed that I dropped mabee 8-7 marks tops. And with GL1 and GL3 to come, I think I can make these marks up easily :tsr:
Reply 56
I did it too and don't think i did that well. When i got out of the exam some of the answers suddenly hit me as being wrong and that they were actually quite easy :frown: Oh well, i'm becoming the king of retakes =D
Reply 57
Hi,

I went to Iceland last October as part of my sixth form studies. If there is one place in the world you have to go, I would suggest there. Apart from the obvious geological value, it has some of the most beautiful sites around, and on most nights, depending where you are, you can see the aurora borealis A.K.A Northern lights, and believe me, they are a once in a liftime sight.

I also went snowmobilling on top of Iceland's biggest Ice Cap. It was amazing until we were told about us actually going many metres away from a volcanoe which erupted not long ago, i think a small one happened last year.

Its quite cute that all Icelanders believe in the 'little people'. These are the equivelant of trolls who look after every rock and tree etc. The country even go to extreme's. You are not allowed planning permission where there is thought to be trolls. So as you drive around reykjavik you see many unused plots where there are a mass abundance of rocks, thought to be 'Little Homes'

I would suggest everyone goes, even if you don't do geology, I will probably go again later in life. But one thing that detered me was prices. Not of flights or hotels but general goods. I.E. a pint over there costs £4, a bottle of coke, small, is £1.50 upwards.

I would suggest staying in reykjavik for one night then travel along highway 1 anti clockwise around the country - - ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!
:party: :cheers: :party:
Reply 58
The exam GL2 was alright, I think it was slightly on the unrienforcing side, so I think in the end you would have done alright. You might have picked up more marks on the smaller questions i.e.

The small clasts in the pic were garnet
The fossil table was Cephlapod and Graptolite - pre-cambrian and mezezoic
The map - The two faults - the left was left side up, the right one was right side up.
The tests were easy - quartz scratched with nail, feldspar the same, but had more defined cleavage, and the mic was obvious
The true/false question was both false, which i though was wrong, but after closer inspection of the paper after it was false due to erosion levels on the anticline.
The rock with garnet clast in matrix - 2 X stage cooling, physical weathering eg frost shatter or abrasion, because matrix was softer therefore eroded where garnet is too hard to erode than the matrix.

I hope this has put some confidense back in you!!

Kuulio :cheers:
kularm
The exam GL2 was alright, I think it was slightly on the unrienforcing side, so I think in the end you would have done alright. You might have picked up more marks on the smaller questions i.e.

The small clasts in the pic were garnet
The fossil table was Cephlapod and Graptolite - pre-cambrian and mezezoic
The map - The two faults - the left was left side up, the right one was right side up.
The tests were easy - quartz scratched with nail, feldspar the same, but had more defined cleavage, and the mic was obvious
The true/false question was both false, which i though was wrong, but after closer inspection of the paper after it was false due to erosion levels on the anticline.
The rock with garnet clast in matrix - 2 X stage cooling, physical weathering eg frost shatter or abrasion, because matrix was softer therefore eroded where garnet is too hard to erode than the matrix.

I hope this has put some confidense back in you!!

Kuulio :cheers:

Well that certainly cheered me up somewhat! Thanks... hope everyone is revising hard for next thursdays challenge!

Lou
xxx

Quick Reply

Latest